Lots of stores closed on Thanksgiving this year

ilikefree

My daughter showed me the list of stores not open on Thanksgiving last week. My first though is what many of you have said is that that list does not include Meijer, Walmart, TRU, JCP, Kohls, Etc. I use to do Kmart Thanksgiving Morning and then spend the day with family get a couple hours sleep and then get up at 2 or 3 to go out for BF. I miss those days.

Same here! I really miss those days. I guess all good things must come to an end... I still do go to Kmart on Thanksgiving morning depending on the ad, but this is the only store. I would be back home to enjoy the rest of the day with Family, look at ads and make our plan for BF.

I would love for it to be the old way too, but I have adapted. I am thankful that I don't have to work holidays and neither does my immediate family. I do try to be extra kind to those working no matter what day it is. A kind word a smile and a thank you can help any day of the week.
  • Like 7

I'm all for stores being open on Thanksgiving...yes, working holidays sucks but it has always been a fact of life for my family and I. This year we are having our Thanksgiving dinner the day before Thanksgiving because of everyone's work schedules. My husband and I will be having an early dinner with his family on the actual day of Thanksgiving and will be ready to shop until we drop later that night!
  • Like 2

Even camping out is no longer a challenge. We still have our dinner online, but have to do it a day earlier or not at all. The big challenge in the old days was beating the college kids to the line, and staying there until the doors opened at 5AM. Nobody got very much sleep if any and the wife used to be extremely funny when deprived of sleep. These days, she sleeps all night in a warm tent. Where is the fun in that by comparison?

I liked things better when everything opened early on Fridays but that's just me. I don't shop in store on Thanksgiving and I also try not to make purchases online that day either (sometimes a stellar deal makes me break that rule). It's a personal preference and I don't begrudge anyone that chooses otherwise. I just have to adjust my expectations, though I'm not usually out for the big ticket items everyone else wants so I still do well. Last year I didn't have any reason to shop but I still went out Friday for the tradition of it.

We shop a lot on-line but always enjoy going out on thanksgiving evening to a few places.

We eat our big family holiday meat around  12 -- so by the time we head out to stores at 6/7/8pm -- we're long done with dinner, and enjoy having the bigger stores to shop at.

My daughter showed me the list of stores not open on Thanksgiving last week. My first though is what many of you have said is that that list does not include Meijer, Walmart, TRU, JCP, Kohls, Etc. I use to do Kmart Thanksgiving Morning and then spend the day with family get a couple hours sleep and then get up at 2 or 3 to go out for BF. I miss those days.

Yes!!!! Me too. 2-3 wake up and get out now you barely have time to eat 3rds(lol).

Thanksgiving is extremely relaxed in my house; I start cooking the night before. I get up early that morning and I’ll run out to a store if there’s something I want; think Kmart, CVS, Dollar General, etc...I come back home and finish cooking; I am always done no later than 1pm. We all kind of eat whenever so if I want to lie down for a while or run out around 8 or so it’s not a big deal.

Last year I didn’t feel a need to go out as I ordered everything I wanted online the night before. I did get up Friday morning and head to Home Depot and Petsmart.

Edited by tyreejames

Our Thanksgiving tends to be relaxed but, this year, we are doing Thanksgiving the weekend before since my mom and aunt are going to be visiting their parents (my grandparents) over Thanksgiving. So I will probably venture out on Thanksgiving - after lunch with the rest of the family - either solo or wait until my sister gets off of work. We don't go too crazy over BF anymore now that our younger siblings are now adults and we started having more relaxed Christmases! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...