Hot item: Nintendo NES Classic - anyone order one today?

Brad

Thought we could have a dedicated thread for this instead of putting it in the main video game thread.

The Nintendo NES Classic was released today and sold out pretty much everywhere it went online within seconds.

Amazon is supposed to have them around 2pm PST this afternoon here:

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Entertainment-System-NES-Classic/dp/B01IFJBQ1E/

Anyone able to order one today? Seems like this will be one of the hottest items this Christmas.

I have not been able to get this online. Bestbuy sold out in less than a min and Target maybe a bit longer. Gamestop let me add the item to my cart and then spun for an hour and a half only to tell me sold out. I found out about Dell too late and now its has been removed from the site. My fingers are crossed for Amazon but I am not holding my breath.

Deperate...but not paying auction prices. They are going for $200!

Maybe this item should be a GD giveaway Brad and I have NEVER won anything here before....hint hint...wink wink...lol!

• Like 1

Oh yeah...and another thing I noticed is that it has not been available on Walmart at all yet. I have been up since before midnight and before it was even listed on the site. It showed up about three this morning and showed sold out BUT coming soon. I believe they will try to compete with Amazon and may show available around the same time Amazon releases theirs.

I went to Game Stop this morning to stand in line. Thought I'd get one because as I was walking up there wasn't a huge line. Sign on the door said they only had 7 and there were already 7 inline. Went to Best Buy and they were handing out tickets. They had 26 and I got #26 at 9:15. For the next 45 minutes people kept coming and turning away. I heard Target only had 4 and Walmart 12. I feel very lucky to have one. Hopefully my husband appreciated it lol.

No luck online but I got one at the 2nd store I went to this morning. They had 10 total and I was the third person in line. I actually feel better about getting it in person as I have already heard from several people who managed to order but have already had their order cancelled or have received a back order status.

I puchased one off of ebay for $200. I had no idea they would be this popular and was rather disappointed. Everyone was sold out everywhere. $200 was the max I was willing to spend but i saw some for $1500 which was beyond obnxious. There should be a limit allowed for pice gouging.

yes it is. sure hoping it's worth it? also went to this great store in our local mall that just opened up and purchased the old nes system with a ton of games for my kids. Figured i'd show them the old system too with all the great games that weren't loaded on the NES:) Not sure why the nes is so popular but the other sega and atari sets are just sitting on shelves?

http://mashable.com/2015/10/19/nintendo-nes-launch-atari/#GHDtdkGpkkq8

It's come to this!

I'm 54 years old.  I never remember not having a television and I have been playing video games for nearly as long.  My first experience with a video game was a pong machine in the foyer of our local department store (Forest Hills).  I could barely reach the knobs, but the line on the screen moved if you turned the knob even if you did not have a quarter.  I played the heck out of that knob.

A few years later, home consoles arrived.  My first was a telstar console which had a bunch of those pong type games on it.  By the time I turned 16, Salisbury Beach's arcades were full of quarter gobbling video games.  Then the Atari 2600 arrived to save us all!

Nintendo released their console in the US on Oct. 18, 1985.  It would soon crush all comers.  Over the years, Nintendo has accumulated a large library of intellectual property and re-released popular games with each new console.

I'm not going to buy one of these.  I imprinted on the Atari 2600 then had Atari 8-bit computers before succumbing to the siren call of IBM.  I still have quite a few Atari computers and a Flashback 6.  If someone would release an Atari 800 Classic with HDMI out, I would definitely own one within two hours.

Still, paying $200 for this seems ... well ... impulsive.  There will be infinite stock of these.  Bed Bath and Beyond will let you use a 20% off coupon to buy one.  

Also, a fun alternative might be to install an emulator on a computer (Raspberry PI?) and pick up a classic controller ported to USB.

Don't despair.  

• Like 3

http://mashable.com/2015/10/19/nintendo-nes-launch-atari/#GHDtdkGpkkq8

It's come to this!

I'm 54 years old.  I never remember not having a television and I have been playing video games for nearly as long.  My first experience with a video game was a pong machine in the foyer of our local department store (Forest Hills).  I could barely reach the knobs, but the line on the screen moved if you turned the knob even if you did not have a quarter.  I played the heck out of that knob.

A few years later, home consoles arrived.  My first was a telstar console which had a bunch of those pong type games on it.  By the time I turned 16, Salisbury Beach's arcades were full of quarter gobbling video games.  Then the Atari 2600 arrived to save us all!

Nintendo released their console in the US on Oct. 18, 1985.  It would soon crush all comers.  Over the years, Nintendo has accumulated a large library of intellectual property and re-released popular games with each new console.

I'm not going to buy one of these.  I imprinted on the Atari 2600 then had Atari 8-bit computers before succumbing to the siren call of IBM.  I still have quite a few Atari computers and a Flashback 6.  If someone would release an Atari 800 Classic with HDMI out, I would definitely own one within two hours.

Still, paying $200 for this seems ... well ... impulsive.  There will be infinite stock of these.  Bed Bath and Beyond will let you use a 20% off coupon to buy one.  

Also, a fun alternative might be to install an emulator on a computer (Raspberry PI?) and pick up a classic controller ported to USB.

Don't despair.  

Atari TT and Falcon, STILL would love to get one :)

Our first home game console my parents bought was a Commodore Vic 20 (remember those???). Great times playing video games with my mom AND learning basic programming skills. :-) The first one we really piled up the game for was the Atari 2600, though. And then brother got NES. And then Mom and I had EPIC Tetris battles after he went to bed. lol Memories!

DH went back into work at midnight to get me one!  His Walmart got 82 - no extra controllers.  When he got home we plugged it in and played.  He was lucky the next day was his late day-I still had to get up at 5a!   FUN!  

Found DD sitting there playing when I came out to drive her to school the next day - she had forgotten we had talked about the system earlier.  We had had to put the system on a TV tray and use the office chair so we can play.  We ordered the wireless controllers through gamestop the next morning. 

Tried to help my boss find one at 8a the next day and nothing !   LOL