Keurig (where to start?)

cjdav

First, i apologize if this is already being discussed on another page.  If it is, please point me to where.

I want to get my son a Keurig for Christmas, but, have no idea which one.   I am way too cheap to buy the little k-cups, but, at 21 yo, even though he never has money for food, he always seems to have money for coffee.   Any recommendations from users?  Also, (and most important), which store has the best BF deal?  Thanks!

First, i apologize if this is already being discussed on another page.  If it is, please point me to where.

I want to get my son a Keurig for Christmas, but, have no idea which one.   I am way too cheap to buy the little k-cups, but, at 21 yo, even though he never has money for food, he always seems to have money for coffee.   Any recommendations from users?  Also, (and most important), which store has the best BF deal?  Thanks!

I would not get a k-cup  brewer for anyone who has not expressly shared a desire to own one.  k-cups are expensive, refillables are inconvenient, the smaller brewers are not especially convenient to use, and a lot of people think they are an environmental problem.  In other words, there are a lot of reasons for a recipient not to like your gift.

I own three.  It took me a long time to get my first one (see above).  I like them a lot.  I would try to avoid the 2.0 models just because of the 'copy protection' on the device.  You can defeat this, but don't expect a giftee to do that.  I did try the refillable cups.  Gave them to my sister last night.  She is willing to do that.  I am not.  

I did a lot of research and math and jumped on a good deal at staples back in 2014.  All three of mine are the OfficePro model.  I selected this model because most pro reviews claimed the commercial quality pump would last a lot longer than the pump in the home brewers.  So far, so good.  I also think the reservoir makes the OfficePro much more convenient to use.  I bought all three at Staples at times when stackable promotions reduced the cost below $40.  For instance (my first)...

In April of 2014, Staples offered the 145 for $92.99.  There was a $25 gift card via easy rebate and a 25% off office supplies coupon and a 25% back in rewards.  I used Shop Discover gift cards to pay for the brewer.  $92.99 x .75 = $69.74.  The 25% in rewards was calculated on this 'final sale' price, so I got $17.44 back.  I used two Shop Discover gift cards as part of my payment.  These cost $20 for a $25 gift card, so $10 off.  $69.74 - $17.44 - $10 - $25 = $17.30.

Obviously, not helpful for you except that you should pay attention to sale prices, coupons, and rebates at Staples.  Note that Easy Rebates do not require a UPC, so box looks good for gifting.  There is a long time until Christmas and last year Staples had the OfficePro for $108.07 on BF.  They had $15 off $100 and a 25% off breakroom stackable coupons.  There was a $20 gift card after easy rebate, so $50ish net.

Of course, the cost of the k-cups can quickly gobble up any savings on the brewer.  k-cups can cost more than $1 per cup.  While this is inexpensive compared to Starbucks or even Dunkin Donuts, you can brew very good coffee for ~$0.30/cup in a conventional brewer.

Because you are looking at these as gifts, you should not assume the recipient will be interested in bulk purchasing via Amazon or ebay.  I have found Staples once again to be the most reasonable place to purchase 18-48 count boxes of my favorite cups.  They allow coupons and discounts on the k-cups (kohls no longer allows this) and you can use those shop discover gift cards for an additional 20% discount.  I like Caribou blend.  This morning, 18 cups is $11.99 on Staples.com and in store.  That's $0.66/cup -- twice as much as Dunkin Donuts from a Mr. Coffee.  That is about the best you can do without jumping through hoops.

If you know someone who covets a single serve coffee brewer, make sure the brewer is easy to use and durable.  Be aware that some people (http://www.killthekcup.org) think the k-cup is destroying the planet.  Don't expect your gift recipient to jump through hoops to save on coffee (refillables and discounts).  Do not expect someone who goes to a high end coffee shop to find the k-cup experience to be just as good.

Otherwise, sure these make great gifts.

If you just want a recommendation, here you go...

It's going to be $99.99 and you get a $20 gift card via Easy Rebate.

• Like 2

Two questions:

How much coffee does he drink daily?

How much are you wanting to spend?

Kohls has 2 models in their BF ad and both would earn you Kohl's Cash I believe. $89.99 and $99.99

Both Target and Best Buy are advertising one for $79.99 with a $15 gift card

If he drinks a lot of coffee daily then you should (IMO) consider a model with the onboard water reservoir. Personally, I have the K10 Mini Plus. It only has a single use reservoir but that's fine by me. I don't drink coffee and only use it for hot cocoa once or twice a day during winter.

http://forums.gottadeal.com/index.php?/topic/252938-Requesting-Keurig-Opinions

Here's a link to the thread I started earlier. May have some helpful information for you.

I was able to find a mini for my mom at Kohl's. After 30% off and $10 off $25, it turned out to a $51.55 with tax and I got $10 Kohl's Cash.. So a net of 41.55. She wanted the mini cause its just her and she only drinks 1 - 2 cups a day.

• Like 1

So much good info len_mullen, hanshotfirst and giz!  thank you all.   I think he only drinks 2 or so cups a day, so, it is a very good idea to see if this is something he would even use.  The kcups do sound like kind of a hassle.  If he is interested, the mini seems the best choice (price wise as well).  i will keep my eye out for deals - especially at Kohls.  Thanks ,again.

I bought DD24 a Mr. Coffee one last year.  It has the Keurig label on it - uses 2.0.  bought it at Ollies for 55.00, had a 15% off coupon, which brought it own to right aroundd $48.00.  It has a water supply which holds about 8 cups of water, has 3 sizes to dispense.  The K cups are pricey, but I've found them for as low at 33 cents a pod.  

Picked her up the refillable pod this weekend @ Walmart foor 4.97.  That way she can use it for cider, tea or even make a coffee pod.

she didn't ask for one - because she knew I wouldn't buy her one - but she told me she'd love to have one.  

And if your son doesn't take the time to clean it, it does get dirty and can get nasty in a heartbeat. 

are they good?

I think so. I am not very picky though. I drink the dark roast and my husband drinks the hazelnut. They are cheap so if you don't like them you aren't out $12 which has happened to me.

Are the Aldi k-cups compatible for use in the 2.0? I know there are some k-cups that I really like at Kroger that are not. I have a 2.0 at home and an older one in my office, so now I only get to have my flavored off-brand k-cups at work.

I'm not sure??? Sorry! I have the basic model that is not the mini..... Edited by smorebore

Even with the 2.0 models you can use any K-Cup. It's pretty easy system to beat and there is actually a company out there that will send you a clip that beats the system. Keurig wasn't happy about it but nothing they can do.

Except come out with a 3.0 (or would it be a 2.1?).......that no one would buy because they've caught on to the Keurig shenanigans and just want to drink their favorite coffee (or hot cocoa or tea). 

I have a mini in my kitchen, and I love it.

Though instead of buying another mini for my room, I'm getting the Bella Duel Brew from Target $29, it does coffee by the cup, and you could use kcups or grounds.

Yes I'm putting a coffee maker in my room, I need caffeine before I can deal with people, and "people" start bugging me before I've even made it to the keurig in the morning.

• Like 1