When was your first Black Friday?

rockpzazz

As the title suggests, I thought I'd ask when everyone's first Black Friday was.  I always hear about the good old days and such and I think I caught the tail end of it.

My first Black Friday was in 2002.  That year I only went to a local Walmart, but by the next year I was hooked, and a couple years later went to about 10 stores I believe.  My first Black Friday was also when I saw the closest thing to a fight.  Good thing I didn't need a Cabbage Patch Doll or else I might have been mixed into the fight.

Wow, I'm not sure. 1997 I think? Of course back then I didn't pay much attention to the ads and I didn't have much money. I went mostly just for fun and to get all the free stuff they gave out - bags of free samples, Christmas ornaments, donuts, . . . Now I love finding the best deals, but I still miss the free gifts.

2011, I went to walmart for a ps3. that was before the management changed at that store, was there at 6 to get my ps3, finally got my ps3 at midnight, cause they had the bright idea of putting checkout for all the gaming systems, tablets, computers, printers, and laptops in one line to pharmacy where they had one register open.

Finally got home and my mom took the ps3 box and put it in her closet so I couldn't open it til christmas.

2012 added another couple stops to my list. Then finally last couple of years I've had around 10-12 stops, plus sometimes multiple stops at the same store.

I started going back sometime in the mid nineties with my mom and aunt, I was in my early teens then. Back then it was Walmart, Kmart and Mervyns. Now, I've been going with two of my best friends, three 33 year old guys going out for our toys.

My mother used to go out the day after Thanksgiving, but it wasn't called Black Friday.  I enjoyed shopping with her the day after Thanksgiving in the 60s.  The stores literally transformed into Christmas mode overnight.  In the 80s, Zayre's department stores stayed open all day and all night Thanksgiving.  We stocked the shelves and decorated for Friday and a handful of customers wandered around the stored enjoying Friday's sale priced a day early.  I guess that was my first Black Friday.  

My mother and I used to go every year starting in the early 90s.  We would hit Kaybee for my younger brother and then the mall, namely Strawbridges (now Macy's).  I really miss those BF shopping trips, very fond memories.  The "crowds" were more like a secret club who knew something not everyone was hip to. :)  And the freebies, as a teenager I lived for the freebies!  LOL

• Like 1

My mother and I used to go every year starting in the early 90s.  We would hit Kaybee for my younger brother and then the mall, namely Strawbridges (now Macy's).  I really miss those BF shopping trips, very fond memories.  The "crowds" were more like a secret club who knew something not everyone was hip to. :)  And the freebies, as a teenager I lived for the freebies!  LOL

As a poor college student those freebies were everything to me! ;)

• Like 1

Exactly!!  I didn't start going until 2005 - had no idea until then!

• Like 1

I started going around 1996 when I was a single mom with 2 kids. My mom would watch the kids and I would go for the deals to get as much for as little as possible.  Loved the friendly atmosphere of waiting in line and sharing ads until the stores opened and the free gifts you got.

The first year I wend was probably 94 or 95, but I can't remember for sure. I know I had overheard something about a sale somewhere. I didn't get up super early or check out ads or anything like that. But, boy did I get swept up in it by the time that day was done!  The next year I told my sister she HAD to check this out. It was a well kept secret at that time. We've been hooked ever since.  We used to sit with all the ads and leftover pie Thanksgiving night, get a couple hours sleep, then be out the door at about 3:00 am.  Christmas music was playing and the people were all friendly (mostly). We loved how we made friends with the kindred spirits in line with us in the wee hours.  Ah, the good ole days :).

I love hearing all these.  So when do you think the "secret" was let out?  I forgot about how I first heard about it, but like others I was hooked after the first time.  It seemed to grow quite rapidly a couple years after I first started going I remember.

It was 15 or 16 years ago. I told my husband I wanted to get to Circuit City early, so we left the house 15 mins before they opened. My uncle asked me to pick up one of the computers that was on sale, and another person asked for a tv. Why does everyone in my family need me to get them a tv on BF??? But anyway, there was maybe 10 people ahead of me and we got everything we needed. I bought myself a fax machine! I still have it!

2001  I was stupid enough to take my newborn with me because I didn't want to leave him at home for my husband to take care of.  I learned a lot of things that year.  I learned that A. it was not a good idea to take a newborn shopping in the germ factory that was black Friday, B. Carts suck and with a newborn there was just no other option and C. it was a great way to afford Christmas for two little kids.

After that I was hooked.  It's been progressively getting less fun as my children "age out" of Christmas and as I have more money and have less need of the deals. 

I worked for TRU during the Holidays during college (90-92) and swore I'd never go BF shopping because of the craziness. My wife talked me into it when we first started dating 19 years ago in Pa. We were into going out when we moved to S. Jersey, but haven't been out in years due to my work schedule.   

Somewhere in the early 2000's..... 2001 or 2002 maybe.

I went to Walmart to get a new 'big screen" tube TV.  Managed to get one of the last ones on the pallet and was barely able to handle it alone.  Did this and still managed to get to work on time even with a 30 minute commute.  I've been hooked since.  

my first real Black Friday was when I was low man on the totem pole and had to work... 1996 or 97... Witmark. we were right next to a toys r us.  One of my best friends worked there. 20-30 people max.

The next year I worked at meijer.... the year of the furby.  That was just stupid, but I was hooked. I've been doing it every year since then. Its a tradition for my mom and I, and now my sisters and daughter. But I wish it would go back to the good old days........ 

Early 90's while our son was a toddler. We would get in line at KBToys around 4 am for a 5 am opening. Each year we would have to get in line earlier, lol.

I think I started about the same time, before that all I heard was how crazy it was but there was something one of the kids wanted at a great deal and I decided to try. I was off and on after that year until my DD was old enough to go with me and we have not missed a year since.