Forum Software Upgrade

Brad

When I attempt to "Mark Forum Read" in both Offline Hot Deals and The GottaDeal Lounge, nothing is happening at all.

I can get it to mark read if I right click and Open in a New Tab.

But I do prefer being able to mark read in the tab I already have open.

Those are the only two forums I regularly frequent, so I do not know if it would happen for me in all forums if I were to try it.

I am using Firefox 3.6

Ditto. I want to be supportive but, ah its so weird. Might have to get those bifocals after all.

I'll get used to it.

I agree. Is the font smaller? Or is it just the lighter color that makes me want to break out the reading glasses?

How do I know if I have a PM? I was used to the green highlighted thingy. Now I dont see anything and if it is there you have done a mighty fine job of making it subtle. :)

At the top where it says "Notifications", it will turn orange when you have something. I can change that to the old green which will make it stand out more.

I agree. Is the font smaller? Or is it just the lighter color that makes me want to break out the reading glasses?

The font looks the same to me. What color is lighter? The background for posts is white which it was on the old board as well.

When I attempt to "Mark Forum Read" in both Offline Hot Deals and The GottaDeal Lounge, nothing is happening at all.

I can get it to mark read if I right click and Open in a New Tab.

But I do prefer being able to mark read in the tab I already have open.

Those are the only two forums I regularly frequent, so I do not know if it would happen for me in all forums if I were to try it.

I am using Firefox 3.6

This is a known bug and the developers are aware of it. However, if you are in a forum and go to the "forum tools" menu and then "mark this forum read", even though it won't appear that you are clicking on it, it should indeed mark that forum as read.

Like I said, we are definitely open to making changes, but you have to be specific about what and where the issue is. We did the upgrade during this slow time of year so we have plenty of time to get things right.

I see it now but yea make it another colour as it blends in with the orange bar on top. I mean you don't have to change the colour as I now know where it is but that is my two centums.

I changed it back to the old neon green.

Still having difficulty searching the online deal thread to see if a deal has already been posted! If I use advanced search it WILL let me paste (which regular search on the page WILL NOT)... but it pulls up Pages of irrelevant posts that have nothing to do with what I entered in. :(

Still having difficulty searching the online deal thread to see if a deal has already been posted! If I use advanced search it WILL let me paste (which regular search on the page WILL NOT)... but it pulls up Pages of irrelevant posts that have nothing to do with what I entered in. :(

What version of Firefox are you using and what operating system? I can't get that error to happen in any browser I have and can't find anything about any other board having the problem.

This is a known bug and the developers are aware of it. However, if you are in a forum and go to the "forum tools" menu and then "mark this forum read", even though it won't appear that you are clicking on it, it should indeed mark that forum as read.

ah, OK!

I'll try that next time and then refresh the page.

My thanks.

The font looks the same to me. What color is lighter? The background for posts is white which it was on the old board as well.

I think that THESE letters are a lighter color???? The ones you are reading right now. And, I am pretty sure the default font size is smaller???

I could be wrong, but there is definitely SOMETHING about reading the posts that is harder. I guess I do not have anything from the old board to look at and compare it to to get it narrowed down.

Whoa, I just typed all of that out and looked up and there was NOTHING. Then, 18 seconds later, it all appeared at once. Freaky!

I miss the breadcrumb links at the bottom me the pages. :-)

i miss my rabbit tracks or whatever they were really called on the bottom of the thread :)

e.g. * Forum * Off Topic * Discuss GottaDeal.com * Forum Software Upgrade

Yeah I am working on getting a bottom breadcrumb. I had to custom-code it last time, and that code doesn't work anymore, so it's work in progress.

I think that THESE letters are a lighter color???? The ones you are reading right now. And, I am pretty sure the default font size is smaller???

I could be wrong, but there is definitely SOMETHING about reading the posts that is harder. I guess I do not have anything from the old board to look at and compare it to to get it narrowed down.

Whoa, I just typed all of that out and looked up and there was NOTHING. Then, 18 seconds later, it all appeared at once. Freaky!

I made the font as dark as it can be. As for the post thing not appearing, I'm seeing that as well. I'll check into it. It only happens in IE with me, not in Firefox or Chrome.

Overall things seem to work better and faster on the new version with FF or Chrome. That's likely more the fault of Microsoft for their IE implementation than it is our fault or the fault of the vBulletin designers, but I can't ask people to use a different browser for just one site. I'm looking into things though.

I made the font as dark as it can be. As for the post thing not appearing, I'm seeing that as well. I'll check into it. It only happens in IE with me, not in Firefox or Chrome.

Overall things seem to work better and faster on the new version with FF or Chrome. That's likely more the fault of Microsoft for their IE implementation than it is our fault or the fault of the vBulletin designers, but I can't ask people to use a different browser for just one site. I'm looking into things though.

That helped! Is is darker and somehow...."crisper." Thanks!

I will learn to live with it, I do not use FF or Chrome for anything else.

What version of Firefox are you using and what operating system? I can't get that error to happen in any browser I have and can't find anything about any other board having the problem.

Using FireFox 3.5.8 (am going to upgrade to 3.6 to see if it helps) - Also using Windows XP Pro. The search problems have gotten worse for me - put in platform bed (manually) and it pulled up like 5 pages of off the wall things like video games and all kinds of things that have NOTHING to do with that term. :(

Using FireFox 3.5.8 (am going to upgrade to 3.6 to see if it helps) - Also using Windows XP Pro. The search problems have gotten worse for me - put in platform bed (manually) and it pulled up like 5 pages of off the wall things like video games and all kinds of things that have NOTHING to do with that term. :(

Searching for platform bed brings up threads that have platform OR bed in them - for example, the video game threads listed something like "Platform: Xbox 360" which is why those showed up. Using Advanced Search, you could search by title only to eliminate a lot of the other results.

I'm also going to experiement with using Google Site Search on here which uses Google's technology to (hopefully) provide much better search results. Give me a week or two to get that worked out.

Searching for platform bed brings up threads that have platform OR bed in them - for example, the video game threads listed something like "Platform: Xbox 360" which is why those showed up. Using Advanced Search, you could search by title only to eliminate a lot of the other results.

I'm also going to experiement with using Google Site Search on here which uses Google's technology to (hopefully) provide much better search results. Give me a week or two to get that worked out.

Went into andvanced search - chose titles only and within the last month and searched for the term "Sex And The City" and it gave me "Wii Crossing Animals"... SO confused! :confused:

Try again and let me know if there are problems still.

Works now!! And you know what else works that didn't before? You couldn't use the spoiler thing when editing! You could use it when posting but if you went back in to edit your post later it wasn't available and now it is,lol.

when you get to massaging the appearance - could you change the size of the fields when it lists threads? So that the title field is longer (can't read the whole title now) and you could make the reply field shorter (it has extra space) and maybe get rid of the word "forum:" that is before each subforum.....

This is especially helpful when looking at deals, if I can't read the price (often at the end of a title) I am less likely to click in...