Black Friday Appliance Speculation / Discussion [merged]

len_mullen

they are not asking for the old appliances back -- just offering dollars off new ones. there is supposed to be federal plus state money. if the verdors and retailers take a mark off, the prices could be pretty attractive.

it's really the timing that is at issue. if the window includes BF, why not?

people who are poo-poo'ing this program are saying that appliances are bought because...

1) failure

2) remodel

3) new home

they say failure has to be bought so people are price insensitive. ditto on new homes since the cost is usually rolled into the monthly nut. they say a few hundred are not enough to get people to take on a remodel.

I think people might say, "why not?" to a new frig under the tree if the price is right.

From here: http://www.energy.gov/news2009/7634.htm

States and territories must first file an initial application expressing their intent to participate by August 15, 2009, followed by a full application by October 15, 2009. Approximately 10-25 percent of each award will be spent on administrative costs.

States and territories will receive 10 percent of the funds after submitting the initial application with the balance awarded after their program plans are approved. DOE anticipates that a vast majority of funding will be awarded by November 30, 2009.

So it sounds like whether the program will be in effect on BF depends on how proactive your state is with getting their application in and approved. Some states might start their program earlier and others might wait until they receive the $, which might not happen until after BF. The amount each state gets is based on population, so California gets $35 million, but smaller states won't even get $1 million.

• 3 weeks later...

In the past, I have shopped for mostly smaller "discretionary" items on BF, but this year I find myself in the market for major kitchen appliances (refrigerator, stove, dishwasher, and over-the-range-microwave) due to a remodeling project underway.

My question is: are prices on BF (or BF weekend) for these large items really much better than weekly or seasonal sales?

I know last BF there was an awesome deal of a Washer/Dryer set for $599. It was a Samsung (I think) front loader. My DD's 5th grade Teacher was able to get it. I do know it was limited and she had to wait a while for it to come in, but she was in no rush to get it. I think she said it took something like 2/3 months for it to come in. Not sure about other appliances.

My friend also got a good deal on a washer/dryer I think 2 years ago not as good as last years own though. I am sure there are other appliances too.

I think you will see some sweet appliance deals, regardless of the government programs or not on Black Friday. I did manage to get the w/d last year from Sears for 599 for the pair, and I have never seen a price like that at any other time of the year. I seriously thought it was a typo at first, but to my pleasant surprise it was not a typo and they delivered next day.

If your in the market for fridges and such, definitely keep your eye on Sears. They tend to have the best appliance deals on that day, IMHO.

I've never heard of this. Thanks! I don't need a new appliance, but it's cool.

Yep, your tax dollars going to help your neighbor buy a new 'fridge. Very cool indeed. :(

Don't get me wrong, if I needed an appliance, I'd take advantage of the "free" money. But "free" does come at a price -- either by increasing our debt to China or through future inflation by devaluing our dollar through simply printing more money.

I just am disgusted by the whole "free" money ideology.

• 2 weeks later...
I read another post mentioning an Energystar appliance program through the state? Does anyone know anything about this? I was going to purchase a dishwasher for MIL on BF. How will this program work? Is it with the retailers or does the public have to request money back (like a tax credit)? Just wondering what this is and if I should wait in case it goes into effect after BF!

I posted about that -- hopeful like you. It turns out the premium you'll save running energy star appliances -- a refrigerator, anyway, in my case -- is not what you'll pay up front. Not even close. There are lots of promotions going on right now, so don't wait for BF and Obama to start shopping.

I'm looking at appliances too for the Holiday's. I'd like to get a new stove and above the range microwave. My parents give a decent amount of money for X-mas and I can get $150 gift card to Home Depot from my American Express points (corporate card).

Now I just have to hope Home Depot might have some good deals. I'd look at Sears, but I think I'd only get $75 for a American Express gift card to be used there. So I will be deal shopping between the two to see what might be a good option.