Official 2009 Black Friday and Retail News Thread

bigjimslade

• 2 weeks later...

from Report: Black Friday store spending up 0.5 percent...

Shoppers spent only slightly more in stores this Black Friday than they did last year, according to data released Saturday by a national research firm.

Preliminary sales data from ShopperTrak RCT Corp. show shoppers spent $10.66 billion when they hit the malls on the day after Thanksgiving - only 0.5 percent more than last year.

This is in stark contrast to previous dataless reporting and anecdotal enthusiasm -- and completely in line with more objective observations of those in the trenches.

Bad news for the retailers, but good news for those still shopping, price adjusters, and return/rebuyers.

The report gets a little speculative and optimistic after that nugget -- seeing 'green sprouts' in increased online and tv (QVC) sales. I think these are a drop in the bucket of retail sales. It turns out that, as many expected, unemployed, underemployed, and tentatively employed consumers spend less.

I can't help but think that Cash for Clunkers made things worse. 690,000 consumers who were driving 'paid for' clunkers started making payments on their green cars in September and October. Many experienced a second sticker shock when registering and insuring their new toys.

I was glad I kept my clunker when we loaded a 5000w generator in the back.