Color Printer for Office

For an office environment a color laser printer would probably be best but those are $$$.

Budget?

How much printing?

I'm not sure of what the budget will be, not too much. I don't think that we'll be printing alot on this printer. It's mostly to make marketing pages.

The main thing I'll be using it for is to print booklets out for our seminars, which are once a month. It would not be an EVERY day printer but when I do use it it might be 50 pages or so printed.

What do you mean by not too much? $100, $300, $500? I do all the printer purchasing and maintenance for the bank, so I can probably find you an excellent printer, given a price range.

Also, does it need to have a built in network card, or do you have an external print server card?

Xerox Phasers are incredible...but probably out of your budget.

I haven't checked prices, yet, but here are some recommendations. I'm getting this all from CDW, since they seem to quote pretty competitively for businesses. Keep in mind that a brochure printed on a color laser printer will appear much more professional than an inkjet. Also, consider going with Kinko's or an office supply store for your printing. The startup cost + the printer maintenance should be considerations, given that you are going to be using it so little.

HP Inkjet 1200d - $199

• 8ppm Color
  • Seperate cartridges for each color (~$35 each)
  • Business Class Inkjet
  • Duplex
  • 150 Sheet capacity

HP Inkjet 1200dtn - $299

• 8ppm Color
  • 10/100 network card
  • Seperate cartridges for each color (~$35 each)
  • Business Class Inkjet
  • Duplex
  • 400 Sheet capacity

HP color laserjet 2600n $349 after rebate

• Network Ready
  • 600x600 dpi
  • 8ppm color
  • Seperate toner for each color

I just happened to think that the Canon Pixma iP5000 would be a great printer. It's $163 shipped from newegg.com right now. I have this one at home, and it is incredible. It's technically a photo printer (which it blows HP photo printers out of the water), but it prints documents and brochures well. My wife does publication designs for her company and the printing it does is more than adequate for their proofs and brochures.

It also has a duplexer built into it, so it makes brochure printing simple. The ink is cheap, too, especially when you buy the bulk packs from places like 123inkjets.com.

Neither of those printers have network connectivity. If you want them to be on the network, you would have to connect it to a PC or server via USB, and then share the printer.

Your other option would be to purchase a USB Print Server. You connect the print server to your USB port on your printer, and then plug the print server into the network.

Guest beatmix01

Dell always is running deals for their Color Printers which which uses lexmark motors. (Some of the best, a little loud though)

Keep an eye out.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a NIB HP 2550N I'd let go for $425 shipped (shipping prices are what kill these things, they're doggone near the size of a washing machine in the box.) :surfing:

For that price I'd want a cashier's check or money order, to avoid the Pay Pal fees, I have the receipt for warranty purposes...