Advice on dinnerware?

I'm starting to think about buying new dishes - we have NEVER had a new set of dishes, always pass me downs...

anyways.... I'd like plates, and bowls, but do not need mugs or saucers. can deal with saucers, but no more mugs.

we have a few plates that are slightly more inset than the normal dinner plate, almost quasi-bowl like... I like that.

We have 2 kids, a DH who is not the most gentle, a dishwasher and a microwave, so they should be safe for all those things :)

I looked around online at walmart, target, jc penney, and bed bath and beyond (oh, and amazon and overstock) and it is so overwhelming.

help?

What are you looking to spend? Corelle has great everyday dinner ware and really can take a beaten without any wear and tear. And they range from $20-$70. Check them out http://www.shopworldkitchen.com/index.asp?pageid=240&b=7

Also, you can get some great dishes at William-Sonoma or Crate & Barrel (the plain white ones) that you can buy individually.

Edited by delectable79

I was looking to spend... oh... maybe up to $50 for something I liked...

I was at the dollar store today, and we saw some dishes that looked like the ones on the sites above. I bought 8 plates, and six bowls. If they work out, great. If they suck, oh well.

we are too far from most stores to look seriously :)

thanks all

If you have a Tuesday Morning near you, they have some cute nice stuff. I avoid Corelle. It explodes if it's dropped after it's been microwaved. That's what we have in our classroom and those little corelle slivers are a PITA to pick up. I like Stoneware--when it breaks, it breaks in bigger chunks.