17"-19" LCD with DVI

Ok...

I posted this the other night, but with the forum outage, it was lost. I'm not sure if anyone replied or not.

My Uncle's monitor died, and he is going to replace it with an LCD. I reccommended that he get a 17"-19" LCD with DVI. Now, I just need to find the best deal.

It is a shame that dell doesn't have a monitor deal going currently. Are there any coming up soon?

Anyway, here is what I'm looking for.

17"-19" (19" prefered)

DVI

16ms response

Good cable management and adjustability is also a plus.

Does anyone know of any deals at the moment?

Thanks.

What is the benefit of DVI input? My LCD only has the standard analog input.

Well... your computer's video card produces a digital video output. Standard CRTs use an analog signal to produce the picture, so video cards have to convert their signal to analog to display the image.

Something like this

Traditional CRT Display

Digital --> Analog

Now, LCDs are a "digital" display. So if you use a standard 15pin analog connection, you have to go through two separate conversions.

Digital --> Analog --> Digital

As you know, with each conversion, some detail is lost. Not to mention there is a slightly longer processing time.

With a DVI connection, there is no conversion. So what is displayed on the monitor is a pixel perfect representation of what the video card is producing.

Digital --> Digital (no conversion)

I notice a much higher quality of text in general in a DVI connection. Others have reported much lower lag and ghosting using a DVI connection, but I have nothing to compare really.

Besides... having a DVI connection makes the monitor future proof. It won't be long until all computers will simply come with DVI video.

I did find the following

UltraSharp 1704FPT 17-inch Flat Panel LCD Monitor with Height Adjustable Stand

$210.30 after 30% and $20 off $200.

That isn't too bad, but I wish they had something on the 1905fp.

Here is what I found:

(gotta get it at physical store though):

http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=483064&uniqueSearchFlag=true&Ntt=vx910&x=0&y=0&An=text

$320 AR

* Large, high-tech display. 19-inch LCD with SXGA (1280 x 1024) native resolution allows display of multiple documents and lets games, video and photos come alive. Brightness of 250 cd/m2 and contrast ratio of 700:1 ensure excellent picture quality. RGB color management offers precise screen-to-print colors.

* Fast video response. Extraordinary response time of just 25 ms allows display of full-motion video and is ideal for gaming.

* Dual connectivity. Optisync® technology supports both digital (DVI-D) and analog (VGA) connectivity, for maximum flexibility and image quality. Compatible with PC and Mac.

* Slim design. Thin LCD monitor saves valuable desk space. Overall dimensions (with base) are 18.4"H x 17.0"W x 7.9"D. Monitor itself is just 2.6" thick.

* Warranty. The VX910 backed by a manufacturer's one-year parts and labor warranty. It's TCO'99 certified, so it is environmentally friendly.

If the three rebates are true (one from OD, two from Viewsonic:

http://rebates.teg-online.com/officedepot/rebate_print_frameset.asp?sku=483064&level=SK&sid=0000UDDh7OW6mMM81CFmwlYNh8j&odserver=www.officedepot.com

This will get you$130 in Rebates.

Total:

In recent memory the lowest prices on Dell LCD's have been 1704FPT for $200 and 1905FP for $252 (plus $20 filler). These deals might return later this month if your uncle can wait.

Does your uncle have a CostCo or Sam's Club nearby?

In recent memory the lowest prices on Dell LCD's have been 1704FPT for $200 and 1905FP for $252 (plus $20 filler). These deals might return later this month if your uncle can wait.

Does your uncle have a CostCo or Sam's Club nearby?

I know that he has Sam's and Fry's. I'm not sure about CostCo. He lives in the Dallas area, so he probably has access to just about anything.

Scott,

Dell LCD's are on sale again beginning 7/7 8AM CT, here's a list including links :clapping:

Hope that helps :woot2: