GPS

klehb

Looking for a GPS. Did research on Consumers Reports, however, found that what they recommended and their customer reviews didn't match up to what other consumers said on sites such as Radio Shack, Best Buy or Amazon.

Can anyone shed light for a first time buyer wanting to purchase one? Do they come with everything out of the box and ready to go, or is there a need to buy extras at the same time, like mounts, cables, a carrying case, etc.?

Thanks!

Looking for a GPS. Did research on Consumers Reports, however, found that what they recommended and their customer reviews didn't match up to what other consumers said on sites such as Radio Shack, Best Buy or Amazon.

Can anyone shed light for a first time buyer wanting to purchase one? Do they come with everything out of the box and ready to go, or is there a need to buy extras at the same time, like mounts, cables, a carrying case, etc.?

Thanks!

We have the Garmen nuvi 660 and LOVE IT. It came with everything except a case. I went to Walmart and purchased a Samonite case that everything fits in perfectly and I do believe it was around $15.

We have the Garmen nuvi 660 and LOVE IT. It came with everything except a case. I went to Walmart and purchased a Samonite case that everything fits in perfectly and I do believe it was around $15.

I have the same one, and I love it. Comes in very handy when I (still) get lost around town. The only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is bluetooth.

Now if I can just make myself sit down and learn how to use all the extras (mp3, Audiblebook, etc)

CORRECTION: I have the nuvi 650, not the 660. I just double checked after reading a post below. I thought I might have just missed the bluetooth feature.

Edited by kmbrly
correction

I bought my husband a Garmin Nuvi 205. It is great! You can download extras if you want but you don't have too. It comes with everything! You may want to buy a case for it but dont need to. My husband loves this!!!! This is a great GPS if you don't want to spend alot. It has speech also.

I have the same model and am very very happy with it - would definitely recommend. I also did lots of research (Consumer reports and co-workers) before buying.

I found a great deal through Amazon outlet (warehouse) on an open box version - not always in stock though.

This model does have bluetooth but only works with certain carriers (and/or phones) I cannot get it to work with Verizon wireless.

HTH

I highly recommend Garmin for a couple reasons:

1: Great customer service

2. Updates/Downloads site very easy to follow and use

3. Great quality

4. Compatible with other Garmin devices, such as, hand-held, trekking, water navigating, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

you folks are all Garmin! I just bought a Nuvi 360 based largely on your confidence in the co.

it has bluetooth - and even though it is not listed I am hoping I can use it w/ my phone.

yay, I am so excited - I used Amazon credits I'd been collecting from mypoints, sweeps, etc. yay!

• 2 weeks later...

ok, not to thread jack - but whoo hoo! I finally got my GPS (holiday and limited mail service delayed it by 3 days :( ) My phone is compatible! It is way cool.

I have charged it, and will need to pick up a memory card - as it came w/ credit for 3 free audible.com books!

Now I need to go somewhere!

ok, not to thread jack - but whoo hoo! I finally got my GPS (holiday and limited mail service delayed it by 3 days :( ) My phone is compatible! It is way cool.

I have charged it, and will need to pick up a memory card - as it came w/ credit for 3 free audible.com books!

Now I need to go somewhere!

Congrats on your purchase!

Now I'm going to threadjack a little further... ;)

Mine also has the tool for audible books. My question though is -- If I have audio books on CD, is there a way I can download my audio book cds onto my GPS (or will I HAVE to buy/download them from audible.com?)? I use my audio books every time I travel, but some of them are 6 cds and driving and trying to change the discs is not always the easiest. It would be much easier to have them all on the GPS and the press of one button.