Has anyone done a "Day at the American Girl Place"?

I'm thinking about taking my seven-year old to the American Girl store in Chicago to pick out her first American Girl doll. I was planning on doing one of their packages - Day at the American Girl Place - where you get lunch or dinner for 2 in the cafe, photo sessions, matching child/doll t-shirts and $130 spending money.

I was wondering if anyone had done this "package" or had any experiences/comments that would help make this first trip extra special for her. We plan on having a mommy/daughter day for her birthday, so I want it to be kinda special. :)

My 9dd just did this on January first, her grandmother took her. The only thing I would suggest is checking the American Girl website to see what is going on in the Chicago store the day you want to go. On the day my dd went they had crafts and introduced the girl of the year, Chrissa, and she got to meet the author of the Chrissa book. Also, depending on what you want to do it might be cheaper to not do the "day at" package. My dd wasn't too interested in having pics taken so her grandma let her pick out the things she did want to do (lunch, matching outfits, etc.).

My DD wants to go there so bad. She talks about it every day. Her birthday is in May. I was thinking about taking her then. My aunt lives in Chicago and has been asking us to come visit anyhow so we are thinking about going there for a long weekend. If you go let us know how it is. I heard they are very pricey there. My BFF's SIL went and she said she spent well over $400.00 there and it was just her and her daughter.

I went into the American Girl store in NYC on the day after New Years. It was crowded but they had openings for dinner if we wanted to go. DD decided she would rather have the Chrissa doll instead of eating there. I ended up ordering the doll and saved myself $10 off the doll and no tax with $5.00 shipping so I was happy. It worked out cheaper for me. The prices for dinner said it was $26/person not including a tip.(which is not bad for NYC)

Were going Valentines weekend & are planning to do the day package w/ dinner....I think it sounds like a pretty good deal but I haven't actually added it all up seperatley!! We are also doing Chicago, when are you going??

My daughter's bday in March 7th, so I'm thinking about taking her that weekend. She's been wanting a doll for a long time, but keeps changing her mind on which one. I called the Chicago store, and they said that they sold all the varieties there - including the just-like-me ones. I thought it would be better to take her there to pick it out than guessing what she wants and ordering it.

She doesn't know that we're going yet (it's a bday surprise), but I'm really excited to go there with her and see her face. Of course, my pocketbook may regret it!

We went there (NYC) in September for our daughter's 8th birthday. We didn't do the "package", we just did the things she wanted to do. We had a nice lunch at the cafe, did the photo session and let her pick out a new doll (Kit) and a couple of outfits.

Reading the description of the package, it's pretty funny how they charge you $260 (in NY) and then try to make it sound like they're giving you $130 in "spending money"! That's their way of making sure you spend at least another $130 in the store on top of what the so-called package is worth!

My daughter's bday in March 7th, so I'm thinking about taking her that weekend. She's been wanting a doll for a long time, but keeps changing her mind on which one. I called the Chicago store, and they said that they sold all the varieties there - including the just-like-me ones. I thought it would be better to take her there to pick it out than guessing what she wants and ordering it.

She doesn't know that we're going yet (it's a bday surprise), but I'm really excited to go there with her and see her face. Of course, my pocketbook may regret it!

Well I will def. let you know how it goes, I added up everything in the package & it works out to be about the same really, My dd has saved up $200 from her b~day & X~mas so I won't be paying for most of it:D plus she'll get the $130 back which will be enough to buy a new doll & maybe a outfit...that's what she wanted originally so she'll get that plus all the extras!!

My DD 6 and myself just went this weeken in NYC, she bought everything, she saved her money from Xmas., I paid for the ear pericing and an outfit. They store is a suck you in kinda of store, once your in they have you...we did do they pic no lunch or tea, no time was going to see the Little Mermaid. She wanted to stay all day

I brought my dd to the new store in Natick,MA during xmas vacation, we got there about half hour it opened, and stood in the cold for 30 minutes to get inside... 3 Tips: - Once inside or before ask the doorman where the hair studio is located in the store - go directly to it! There is another line - another 20 minutes to give your old doll a new hairdo, or ears pierced, but they say come back because they queue them up.. we waited 3 and half hours (lucky for my darling dd's) I was in a good mood and we went into the mall and had lunch! Came back, and the hair stylist will brush out your doll's hair and put a bow in, but they don't tell you - you have to pay the slip at another long line at the cashiers before they release the doll (makes sense). It was worth it to see my dd's faces, especially since it took 25 minutes to brush out Kaya's knots :cheesy:... the look on the lady's face was priceless to see kaya's hair! Tip #2 - The store did not have everything - they ran out - didn't have newest dolls - Hello? Tip#3 - Enjoy the day, it is cheaper than airplane trip and my 10-year-old loved it! :) - Only young once!