Buy.com Vent!!!

So I ordered this "Discgear Selector 100-Disc HD Disc Storage System - Black" from BUY.com because I thought it would be neat to organize all of our photo dvd's. (It has good reviews everywhere it is sold.) This was supposed to be a Christmas Present for my hubby. Unfortunately I didn't take a good look at it until a few days later as I was trying to wrap it and put it under the tree. Well I discovered that it was broken. I then thought the packaging of it was very poor as I couldn't even tell for sure if this was an opened item or what... I mean it was just sitting inside a plastic bag - how strange is that?? Also the broken part somehow is sticky on the side where it's broken. That makes me think the item was damaged before it was shipped out to me and Buy.com attempted to make it look like it wasn't?? Needless to say I was/is very dissapointed with this purchase and have No Faith Whatsoever in this Company.

So I thought my biggest problem was that my husband was now left without one present I really wanted him to have!! Reality check - when I attempted to return this item to Buy.com for an Even Exchange I discovered they have 14 days return policy.

Here it is:

Unless otherwise stated below, you have 14 days from the date your product left the warehouse (regardless of when you actually took delivery of the product) to get a valid RMA from our website and get your product to a shipper to return back to us.

So now I can't do anything with this piece of CR*P.

I really think this 14 days return policy is ridiculous. I think it would be one thing if I didn't like the item. Although even then I think all return policies should be 30 days. I've been seeing far too many Companies lately making their return policies less than 30 days and at this rate I think they will all get to No Return policies very soon. (Some already have and have been won over in Courts.)

The other problem I have with Buy.com is that they have no telephone number where I can speak to a live person. That too I think is strange. I'm really used to getting good customer service (Amazon...) and I've been in planty situations where the rules said one thing but after talking to an actual person I was able to convince them to do the right thing..

I really wonder now what kind of Company Buy.com is?? I know for sure I will never buy from them again (No Matter How Good Is The Deal) because to me they seem very shady. My husband thinks they are run out of NY (I think he did spoke to someone once and they had a Brooklyn accent or something..) so that might explain some things...

I don't know maybe I'm wrong on this one but I don't understand why I'm stuck with a broken item, with no way to return it and no one to complain about it...

Anyone has any ideas or suggestions??

Item:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41wmYbUcDML._AA260_.jpg

I would send them an email. Most place have an extended return policy for Christmas.

I'm sorry that you are having issues with them, I have made several purchases with them and never had any issue. I've also returned something to them without any trouble.

About the statement that you made about companies having a no return policy in the future...it's already here. Wetseal has a no refund policy, the best you can do is exchange and that is only regular priced merchandise!

Unfortunately I already send them an e-mail and got this reply (right before I came here to vent...)

Thank you for contacting Buy.com regarding order #####. Unfortunately, we are not able to honor your request for a Return Merchandise Authorization number (RMA#) as the 14 days return time frame is over.

I had never purchaseed from them and bought one of the reconditioned sandisk mp3 players. It was for christmas too and i opened it and the player was inside a piece of bubble wrap. Nobox, no papers or software. I won an ebay auction same day and after paying discovered it was buy.com. It was a Sonic brotherhood game with bonus 3 pack sonic stylus. I could have bought the game at Walmart but wanted the stylus set for stocking stuffer. Game came withough bonus. I found a phone number for them on Hard numbers to find google search. It has numbers like Amazon , ebay, buy.com, etc. I was told different department and given that number. got automated message telling me I would be called back in 1 day. Never was. Next day a 10.00 gift certificate was put in my email. I thought what the heck, I''ll use it an dbuy Walton Season 7 dvd set and forget it. It was invalid. I sent many emails. no satisfactin , so I filed a paypal claim. they never responded and yesterdsay paypal gave me my money back. Buy.com had the nerve to send me an email asking me to supply feedback. Guess what they got. Negative. Places like this shouldn't be allowed to sell on ebay if they can't honor the auction. They said they no longer had the bonus sets and if I wanted to return it I c ould,. It was too late to return and get a refund before christmas as it took 2 weeks to get it. I will never pay any way but paypal.

I would send them an email. Most place have an extended return policy for Christmas.

I was thinking about this some more and I really don't understand why would anyone ever buy anything from Buy.com to give to someone as a present. I mean between the time it takes to get the shipment and having the opportunity to give it as a gift, for sure the 14 days would expire and the person would be stuck with the thing no matter what.. Seems like Buy.com is limiting their customer base big time.

And you're right, I just looked at Amazon return policy as I'm looking to return a ride-on toy my ds1 got for Christmas (he got 2 from two different people) and they've extended their return policy until Jan 31st. So if you bought something in Nov. they give you almost 3 month to return it. Now that's service and the kind of Company I want to do business with for ALL OF MY GIFT-GIVING NEEDS!!! (And I do too.. I've bought so much stuff from Amazon this Holiday season and previously but this was only my 2nd transacton with Buy.com and 2nd dissapointment. I will not even go into my 1st experience dealing with them - about 1 yr. ago. I guess I should have learned from that experience...)

Yeah... they're no fun. If you search the forums there is a phone number for them. You could try going back to my posts around christmas of last year... errr 2007 to find it if youre having trouble. the thread title will say something about buy i think.

Yeah... they're no fun. If you search the forums there is a phone number for them. You could try going back to my posts around christmas of last year... errr 2007 to find it if youre having trouble. the thread title will say something about buy i think.

Thanks!! I'm too lazy and too pissed off to deal with them at this point. I figure I try the manufacturer directly and if all else fails I can always buy a new one from one of the local retailers and return the broken one with that receipt. Even though someone might think it's unethical I figure the broken item might make it to manufacturer this way in anyway...

Sorry you have all had these problems with buy.com. I had a ton of problems with them during Christmas 2006 - everything from broken items to misshipments to faulty rebate info on some products. I never received any help from them and have never bought from them since.

I have heard many horror stories about buy.com that unless they offered it free I wouldn't jump on a deal with them. I know that some people have had good experiences but those with horror stories are enough to scare me away! Sorry about your problems!

I bought two sd cards from them, and did not receive them after 2 1/2 weeks. I emailed them, and they said they were backordered. I was upset, because they did not contact me. I emailed them back and said they had the same cards (2 1 packs instead of the 1 2 pack that I ordered) for the same price, and asked them to send those in replacement. The only diff was that the ones that I ordered were free shipping, and they wanted to charge $7 for the two 1 packs. They said they could not do it. Needless to say, I canceled, and am not sure I will order from them again.

Watch out for them on ebay and amazon. I wasn't going to order from them again and bought what I thought was a good deal on ebay. Didn't know until I checked out it was Buy.com. When I called customer service and emailed. I stateed it wasn't fair that they could get around ebay rules of a binding contract of what you purchased because they are a huge store. They sent me an invalid gift certificate. Luckily paypal returned the amount of money I was asking for as Buy never responded to my claim with them and I left negative feedback.

Now that makes me wonder - if so many people are having issues with this "Company" to the point where one can't even trust that they are legit and/or they will deliver the merchandise, why is the first page of deals on GottaDeal is so dominated by "Deals" from Buy.com?? Don't get me wrong Brad I LOVE this site and I check it daily but that seems WRONG to me. Kind of makes me not trust this site as much. Cause you know what they say about Guilt By Association.. Again sorry Brad, I really don't mean to question your ethics and/or intentions

cause I realize how much work you put in to this site and how much you help us find the Deals but maybe instead of Advertising their deals we should have "Buyers Be Aware" sign next to their name on this site.

I realize someone might say that THEY had a good experience and didn't run into any problems when dealing whith them but it takes a certain number of bad dealings with a Company (which seems in this case Buy.com has well exceeded that number) after which there must be some kinds of reporcutions (sp?)

I had a problem where an item was paid for via PayPal and not received. Buy.com only wouyld say "they would refer this to their PayPal dept" - which never happened. Filed a claim with PayPal and received my money back within about 7 days.

NEVER will use Buy.com again cause I've read way too much bad to overcome any good.

I ordered something from Buy.com for Christmas. It was broken when I got it but since it took so long to get to me, the 14 day return had already run out and buy.com was NO help what so ever. So I'm stuck with a broken item and no recourse. I've also ordered from them and had great results.

Basically, if you're willing to take a gamble, you might end up with a great product at a great price......or you might end up with crap and be stuck with it.

I ordered something from Buy.com for Christmas. It was broken when I got it but since it took so long to get to me, the 14 day return had already run out and buy.com was NO help what so ever. So I'm stuck with a broken item and no recourse. I've also ordered from them and had great results.

Basically, if you're willing to take a gamble, you might end up with a great product at a great price......or you might end up with crap and be stuck with it.

I guess that's my problem, I HATE gambling! :) Even when I visited Las Vegas I spent most of my time looking at the Hotels, going to Shows and eating in the Buffets! My limit was $20 per day on gambling.