Bad experience today :(

neile457

I went to Target this morning to get one of the $59 firebowls advertised. Of course, they were out, so I was looking at a copper one for $129. I had both my DDs with me (6 and 7), and my oldest said she needed to go potty. So I brought her to the back and we went to the unisex bathroom. I have always used this one with my girls with no problem, as there is no family bathroom by the front bathrooms. Well I go in the back, and an employee tells me that we are not allowed back there, I told her that I was just bringing my daughter to the bathroom, to which she replied "you are not allowed back here for safety reasons". I stated "why does it say on the bathroom door, please do not bring unpaid merchandise in bathroom, if it was not meant for customers, and also that I prefered to bring my girls there because of them not having a family bathroom." She left, and we went into the bathroom. Now this bathroom is in the stock area, but it is in a hallway between the two stock areas, so I know there was no hazards. We were in there about 5 minutes, but when we came out, another employee was right at the door waiting for me, and she said "you are not allowed back here". I apologized and said ok, and I started walking out. She said it again, and this time I chimed back about the sign on the door, and that I had used that bathroom several times before with my girls and never had a problem. She reiterated that I was not allowed back there. I said ok, there was no reason to be rude about it, and that if she wanted to be that way, they obviously didn't want me shopping there. She said Ok! I was shocked. Needless to say, me and the girls walked straight thru the store and left. I went to WM, and bought a firebowl there for $118 - so I save $10 by going there, but I also got lucky. Somehow they had one of the $398 32 inch tvs still left (around 11 am), so I got it also. I'll go back, but I was just very upset. They should understand that I don't want my daughters going in the mens room with me, and I am not extremely comforatable with them going in the bathroom alone, mainly because they play, and don't use the bathroom.

Was this a public/customer restroom that you used? Or the employee's restroom?

We have Super Targets' here. Restrooms are located at the front of the building. They are not in a stock area. I've never been in the stock area of Target here.

Was this a Super Target? Or Target?

If it is one of the ones in the stock room then the employee is right for telling you that you were not allowed back there. However, it does sound like you were treated rudely. I worked retail years ago and I would never treat a customer (or guests as Target likes to say) this way. Especially seeing you had young kids I go out of my way to get children into whatever bathroom is closest even if it was an employee only.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I'd let a manager know the next time you were back. Who knows, they may even give you a discount on your next purchase for treating you bad.

With the signage in the front of the restroom I would have thought as well that you could use it...also, with telling them WHY you wanted to use it, I would think it would be the only choice as well, I mean I take my 9 year old to the bathroom still, because you NEVER know who or what could be in them... This makes me extremely sad.

i agree i would have stated that since they do not have a family bathroom available this works better for you.

Moms drag little boys into the womens room all the time but the option isnt there for dads considering the "openness" of mens rooms.

Think i would email/call target and say its not a matter of JUST this time its a suggestion that would improve the store for their guests if there were to be family bathrooms more readily available.

I totally understand your frustration. My husband has the same problem when he takes our 2 daughters out. They are 6 and 4. He doesnt feel comfortable taking them into the mens restroom...Places really need more family bathrooms...It seems only newer stores have them. If you are in an older Target, they dont have them. Its a real concern when your a daddy.Because like the previous poster said moms can take boys in our bathrooms with no problems. But men are standing up in plain public...

If an employee told me that I was not allowed somewhere I wouldn't have used it.

Does your children have accidents? I am not going to let my kids wait. If my child has to go to the bathroom I WILL use any bathroom available.

The only time an employee told me I couldn't use a certain bathroom my daughter peed on the floor (accidentally) and the rude*** employee had to clean it up. Anytime I go there she is more than willing to let me use that bathroom if the others are unavailable.:)

Wow! I would have asked to speak to the manager, and explained everything. In my opinion customer service/friendliness just isn't what it used to be. I tried calling redbox yesterday to let them know that the redbox in a Walmart where I live was down because someone stuck a dvd in it the wrong way and the Rep was just plain rude, she kept saying "why don't you use another redbox" and I kept saying "I am just calling to report it, I already rented a DVD", then she was all like "Your DVD is not due untill tommorrow"...jees, she was really rude.:no:

got a response from customer service. They contacted the store. The manager called me and apologized, and I was told the bathroom is available for customer use. They were extremely nice.

Good job! Way to stick up for yourself!

My mom had a stroke a few years back and can't wait to go to the bathroom when she needs to and if there is a line for the womans she has and will walk right into the mens bathroom LOL :eek:

Glad you got the apology you deserve. I am a mom of 2 boys who have to go to the bathroom every 5 minutes. My oldest is 6 and doesn't like to go in the women's restroom with me anymore and my youngest is 3 and likes to comment on EVERYTHING that's going on in th bathroom. Stuff like Mom, why does it stink in here? Mom, what was that noise? Most of the time I am rushing out and not making eye contact with anyone! Love the family restrooms!

Just curious. . .how old was the employee that was so rude to you? I have had some really poor customer service lately from the high school aged employees. I hate to make a generalization, but lately it seems like I have gotten to deal with every cranky teenager working in retail.

she looked like she was in her mid - 20's. The funny thing is that she was pregnant. I was so tempted to ask her how she would feel if she has a son, and when he turns 5, will she like bringing him in the women's room, or letting him go alone in the men's.

So glad you called and spoke to someone about it and got an apology. I agree with whoever said it seems like customer service just isn't what it used to be.

Whenever my sister and I go shopping somewhere we always say it's really sad but we're always more shocked and surprised when someone is friendly and helpful or goes out of their way to make sure we are helped.

It seems to be the norm now for a lot of the people working in customer service to think it's ok to be rude, standoffish or act as though they own the store and the items and how dare you need help or have a question!

Anytime I feel I have been treated especially rudely I will most definitely call the corporate office and complain or call the store directly and ask to speak to a manager.

I don't do it with a discount in mind either, I just want someone in charge to know that I'm not going to stand for that kind of treatment whether I'm buying a 5 dollar item or a 500 dollar item, or heck even just browsing. Again good for you to not back down.

I am a mom, but if I were a dad, I'd do the same as you! Plus the confusing sign--you are so correct that if it was not for a customer, why does the sign mention "unpaid merchandise"

They were rude, out-of-bounds, and were probably mad because it is the restroom they use all the time and try to keep it "reserved" for themself.

They should've seen you had your kids best interest in mind.

I am sooooo glad you got an apology--good for you! Nice that there are dads out there who are so good to their daughters! (Girls can definitely see too much in a regular mens room. :blush: )