Rockband 1 or 2 for Wii

My parents are buying the family Rockband for Wii for Christmas. Problem is not sure whether to get 1 or 2. My parents sent enough money to cover either one, so that's not a big issue. If we get 1, we use the extra for other things. If we get 2, we have less to use outside of the RB.

I'm not sure if RB2 is worth the extra $$. I just realized I could go talk to the guys at Gamestop, but I'm going to have the kids for the next 4 days and was hoping to have this figured out before then so I could order or pre order either one.

Anyone have any input on to which we should get?? I'm leaning towards 2, just because, but wondering if buying 1 bundle and then the RB2 game only is a better way to go? I haven't seen/found much on either bundle to make a wise decision.

It was posted on the amazon toys deal thread that as of noon today Rock Band for the Wii was pulled off the shelves at walmart, target and gamestop. I called my local walmart and they said yes it was but could not tell me anything else. Just wanted to pass it along

The RB1 Equipment will work on RB2 and vice-versa. The difference is the equipment is a little sturdier in the second version. Personally, I'd get the equipment for the first, with an additional guitar and buy the second game. Just make sure you also look into a memory card for the Wii, since the Wii game memory is small.

It was posted on the amazon toys deal thread that as of noon today Rock Band for the Wii was pulled off the shelves at walmart, target and gamestop. I called my local walmart and they said yes it was but could not tell me anything else. Just wanted to pass it along

I just did a search on google, and while it didn't come up with anything current, it did come up with some stuff from March that Rock Band and Guitar Hero makers were being sued by a company named Gibson. Maybe something from the lawsuit came through?

http://news.cnet.com/newsblog/?keyword=%22Guitar+Hero%22

http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/21/gibson-fires-guitar-hero-lawsuit-at-wal-mart-other-retailers/2

Holy Crap! That is Huge news DG!!

It stated that Gibson, who makes Guitars, has held a patent on a guitar-playing video game and is now suing the creators of both RB and GH, along with six major selling distributors across the US.

What a dumbass move! I understand about suing the creators if they had an agreement at one time with one of them to creat the game, but to go out and pull this kind of move just makes me wonder why'd they cut off potential income. If their lawsuit holds up in court, they get back $$$ dating back from the original GH, correct? Why would they sue the top six-stores that rake in the cash for them to begin with?

I think I am seeing that Rock Band 2 for Wii doesn't release until Dec 22?? Is that correct? Is anyone doing preorders? I've just started my search. Just realized today that would be a good gift for the family...(mostly the impossible to buy for Husband). And that the list price is $189.99.? Will update if/when I find out more. Amazon has a 'be notified by email when it's available' link. I saw free shipping at one point, but not now ? maybe it was something else. The product weighs 20 lbs.

later: OK so all I've found out is that no one is for sure when it will be available. You can probably get just the game RB2 for $50 in time for xmas and it will work with the RB1 equipment; and any USB microphone will work. For the Special Edition/bundle...it may or may not be available until after xmas. I am reading that the RB2 equipment is a little sturdier, nicer and the drums/cymbals are wireless (weren't they before?). For $80 more, it would probably be worth getting the newer version w/better instruments. I may have to wait until DH January birthday for this...or do a combo of xmas/bday...he is probably getting tired of that excuse (I did it last year too, lol).

Edited by mildmom

if you have the money, I'd get Rock Band 2, IF you can get it. I'd recommend getting to the stores an hour or two before opening day of release. It will sell out fast.

Kmart had the original Rock Band for Wii last night, if you can't find it at Circuit City cheap. My CC is closing. :(

Edited by Azzycat