Toy Boxes, Storage

arelf27

So I need to get my house organized!!! We have toys everywhere. I've been looking for ANY deals on Toy Boxes and/or other storage FOREVER. These things never seem to go on Sale. Any suggestions?? Any codes? Maybe some on-line stores that I can look into?? Like I like the Step 2 toy boxes but those go for like $60 a piece. I need one for each ds and dd and living room and basement. I don't want to spend $200 to organize my home.

PLEASE HELP.

we bought a bunch of rubbermaid tubs (i think the 55 or 60 gallon) about $18 or $20 a piece at w-mart or home depot. they are sturdy and when the kids grow out of the toys, we can use them for other things...like xmas storage and such! i only use rubbermaid as they will stand up to frequent usage, not like the sterlite (sp?) and other cheap ones.

I agree with using containers to separate the toys. If you use toy boxes the pieces get all mixed up and are harder play with. I used smaller containers that the kids could lift and move. I had toys all over my house. Then I bought containers, dumped out the closet lined up the containers and started separating. Then my boys 1 and 3 at the time, were able to play with their toys, because they could find all the pieces. My boys are now 6 and 8 and that system still works for us. I'm happy I just kicked down for the containers. I bought paint pens and wrote on the side what belongs in them. When they grow out of those toys, I use goo gone to get the name off and re-label it. It can get pricey. But I've purchased toy boxes. And they just didn't work for me. And the containers can stack and fit on a shelf. I did use the Sterlite brand and they've held up pretty well. Rubbermaid is great but Sterlite has containers that you can see what is inside. Most Rubbermaid containers are solid colors and you can't see what is inside. But either brand you chose, they usually have multiple containers that look the same but are different sizes. And that is very cool. Because it all matches, and looks nice.

Hope this helps. :D

depending on the age of your kids, you could save diaper wipes containers and use them for the little pieces that are always getting spread around the house. then i agree, just get the totes and use them -- advantage is you can store the totes in the garage, keep just one in the house, and rotate every month or so. then the kids think it's christmas once a month!

suggestion: after christmas, the big storage totes all go on sale at home despot & lowes for about $4 apiece....that's the time to stock up!

I bought these bin shelves at Target last year and they are perfect in my son's room. All his little cars and trains, train tracks, and other small toys fit in separate bins. When its time to clean up, just pull the bin out and fill it up. Its much easier to access the toys and see them. A traditional toy box just mixes everything together and makes it hard to find anything IMO. This is the lowest price I've seen these bins. You really need two people to assemble them.

http://www.target.com/dp/B000W9R7EG/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_r=0XBEWEGZQA4MWCPEFJM8&pf_rd_p=465357931&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_s=bottom-6&pf_rd_m=A1VC38T7YXB528&pf_rd_t=5101

I bought these bin shelves at Target last year and they are perfect in my son's room. All his little cars and trains, train tracks, and other small toys fit in separate bins. When its time to clean up, just pull the bin out and fill it up. Its much easier to access the toys and see them. A traditional toy box just mixes everything together and makes it hard to find anything IMO. This is the lowest price I've seen these bins. You really need two people to assemble them.

http://www.target.com/dp/B000W9R7EG/ref=sc_qi_detailbutton?ie=UTF8&pf_rd_r=0XBEWEGZQA4MWCPEFJM8&pf_rd_p=465357931&pf_rd_i=0&pf_rd_s=bottom-6&pf_rd_m=A1VC38T7YXB528&pf_rd_t=5101

Thank you!! These look neat and I LOVE the price! I'm going to Target tomorrow to pick up two. I have $10 off $100 coupon too that I need to use! I hate how much Target charges for shipping though. Would have been great if I could get these on-line and apply 15% coupon. O well.

Thanks to everyone else for all of your suggestions!! I will look into those options as well.

Agree! We have basically the same thing. That's the best price you will find. FWIW, I put it together by myself, it wasn't that bad.

I also have a system that is all wire squares with connectors. They have them out en masse when school starts for dorm rooms for like $20. You can configure however you want. I did a search and can't find it, but it's with the storage stuff usually. I have one in each of the kids' room and then use big white tubs from Walmart that fit in the open squares, like cubbies. gosh, this is a really bad description, sorry. I look some more...

Thank you!! These look neat and I LOVE the price! I'm going to Target tomorrow to pick up two. I have $10 off $100 coupon too that I need to use! I hate how much Target charges for shipping though. Would have been great if I could get these on-line and apply 15% coupon. O well.

Thanks to everyone else for all of your suggestions!! I will look into those options as well.

Got em!! Picked up two - a white with pink and natural with red/blue for DS and DD :). Actually we got the last pink-toned one.

Funny story: as my DH went to put them in the car a woman pulling into the parking lot rolled-down her window and inquired whether these were the sale ones and if there are anymore left. Then my DH saw her in the store and she thought that he was working there and wanted to know where she could find them. I think she grabbed the last two that were there. The only thing I don't understand is how she thought my DH was working there when he was walking with DS-18 month?? Unless she thought he helped some lucky couple to put their goodies into their car and then was nice enough to watch their baby-son for them??-Duh!!

I'm thinking about picking up another one for dd. She's only 7 months, but the toys are already piling up! And I might get the cubes for ds's room for some trucks, balls ect that don't fit well in the bins. Toys get out of hand so quick and with Christmas on the way we're going to be buried if I don't get some organizers now! Hope you like your bins!:)