Leapster 2 versas Didj?

Does your DD have any handheld gaming system now? I guess not.... I personally would start her with the Leapster but I can't honestly compare b/c I haven't any experience with the Didj.

I started my daughter at age 5 with the Leapster and she *loved* it. Very intuitive and easy for kids to use, lots of educational games. Didj is the progression system for kids like my daughter. But now that she's 7, we have gotten her the Nintendo DS. The Didj looked great, and she had a great time playing it in the store -- but there's a really limited selection of games right now. I mean *really* limited. That was the clincher for us.

So if DD has no experience with any system, go ahead at get either one -- she'll be happy. There are tons more games w/ Leapster at this point, though.

Does your DD have any handheld gaming system now? I guess not.... I personally would start her with the Leapster but I can't honestly compare b/c I haven't any experience with the Didj.

I started my daughter at age 5 with the Leapster and she *loved* it. Very intuitive and easy for kids to use, lots of educational games. Didj is the progression system for kids like my daughter. But now that she's 7, we have gotten her the Nintendo DS. The Didj looked great, and she had a great time playing it in the store -- but there's a really limited selection of games right now. I mean *really* limited. That was the clincher for us.

So if DD has no experience with any system, go ahead at get either one -- she'll be happy. There are tons more games w/ Leapster at this point, though.

Hey, my DD7 also has had the leapster for about a year now and does like it...she's also asked santa for a DS...I just lean towards the educational part of the didj...didnt know about the limited games though, thanks for the info!

yeah, i also really wanted to end up picking the didj. but the limited games was a problem, and i also figured she would be learning with the DS, just not as obviously. i don't get her shoot-em-up games, obviously. i get her games that a) are highly rated and also rated E and B) have a lot of deductive reasoning and the like built into the gameplay. there are *some* educational games for the DS, btw, and i will be picking them up this season, hopefully. (search amazon for "educational games ds" for a list) and remember that gameboy advance games play in the DS with the included adapter! so you can also pick up educational games @ garage sales for peanuts...

My 7yr son has the original blue/gray leapster that cam out years ago. And now his little 3 y old brother loves it. The new Didj looks/sounds perfect for my 7 yr old. Of course there are not as many games out yet. It was the same when the leapster came out. But with the Didj, they just don't play to play. As they learn and gain their points, they can go online and download new games, characters or backgrounds. They can customizes their games with the downloaded items. I really like that the system can be customized to included skills they are learning in school. So, it's always at their level and it's all reiterating everything so it really sinks in.

We bought the Didj. Haven't opened it yet, but I doubt we will be let down. Leap frog has never let us down before.