Anyone Seen Deals on regular DVD recorders? Not VHS combo?

yellowlilax

The Hard Drive recorders are called DVR's... You won't see many of them on sale because they are subscription services. TiVo is my personal favorite. You can get things like a DVD recorder that have a VERY small Hard Drive.. but they won't hold much. They are also not very popular... therefore, very hard to find. Sorry I wasn't much more help.

lilax -- you could always build or buy a HTPC (Home Theater PC). http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Smileypad/Mil-Computer/geek1.gif

Confession..... I've done that. lol. I have one in my home theater in my basement. It's a converted MacMini. KILLER little computer!

There are choices for FREE dvr service from a stand alone dvr.

I have 2 Philips dvr's (3455H and 3575H) but the newest model # is the 3576H

It will record only 1 show at a time, but while that is happening you can watch a dvd or a show already on the hard drive. It also has a neat function, you can watch a show faster than normal...like 1.2X if you like to zip through stored shows. You can still understand everything completely.

It will NOT record in HD, but will pass through the HD signal to the TV while watching an HD channel and even upscales.

There is no monthly fee like Tivo, but you don't get all the Tivo stuff either.

It has both an analog and digital tuner.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-DVDR3576H-Recorder-160GB-Built/dp/B0013WM0BQ/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10059151

The Hard Drive recorders are called DVR's... You won't see many of them on sale because they are subscription services. TiVo is my personal favorite. You can get things like a DVD recorder that have a VERY small Hard Drive.. but they won't hold much. They are also not very popular... therefore, very hard to find. Sorry I wasn't much more help.

They aren't all subscription services. I have friends that have these and have no subscription. The links ripn provided say the store a large amount of space....

They aren't all subscription services. I have friends that have these and have no subscription. The links ripn provided say the store a large amount of space....

Trust me, if there is anything under 80GB... its not worth it. 80GB doesn't store all that much. I know.. I used to have one. You may want to check with your cable/satellite service provider. They will more than likely have a good Dual Tuner DVR for a good price... defiantly cheaper than $300.

I started out looking for the combo.. now I want just the DVD recorder... but that isn't really what you are talking about. You don't want to have to deal with DVD's do you?

I have a DVR.. I really don't want it for just that (getting movies off the TV)... my main reason is for wanting the DVD recorder is that I figrue it's cheaper for me to convert my VHS over than have someone else do it for me... I have 100's of VHS tapes as well as my own home movies when my kids were small. For the price of a DVD recorder and some blank DVD's.. it would come out cheaper than to pay someone to do it for me...

Edited by amickeyfan