Some Early Recon Today - Change in Ticket Program

dad2trips

I stopped in my local BB and spoke to the manager. I wanted to verify the rules of BF would be the same as last year and to ask if I could use a generator. He said that the city actually doesn't allow generators. Then again he said they don't allow tents either. So he was OK with the generator unless the police had something to say about it. Best I have coffee available when they come by.

The manager said there are some changes on the tickets this year. He said not all stores were doing this, but his was one of the pilots for it. They will hand out tickets as usual, but you have to claim your item by 8:00. If the item is not claimed it will be re-ticketed. That ticket would be good until another time (maybe 10:00). And again could be re-ticketed if the item was not claimed. He said they have had too many unclaimed items. I found that hard to believe.

He said they would hand out tickets like they did last year. Our store reps would not tell you what tickets they had, you had to tell them what you were there for. He said this was done for the first time last year to reduce 'ticket grabbers'.

As far as additional DBs: He wouldn't spill any beans on them. Just that there are some really good deals being added and even some really good deals in this Sunday's ad. Basically I took away that he really didn't have any details on anything!

He asked me what time I was lining up because the feel the lines will be earlier and longer this year. Again, I'm thinking no on that. I told him I could not tell him what time because it would be a security breach in my year-long plan to be the DB King. Also, my Gottadeal BF T-Shirt needs assurance that the people behind me indeed see that I got theor DB! :D

I stopped in my local BB and spoke to the manager. I wanted to verify the rules of BF would be the same as last year and to ask if I could use a generator. He said that the city actually doesn't allow generators. Then again he said they don't allow tents either. So he was OK with the generator unless the police had something to say about it. Best I have coffee available when they come by.

The manager said there are some changes on the tickets this year. He said not all stores were doing this, but his was one of the pilots for it. They will hand out tickets as usual, but you have to claim your item by 8:00. If the item is not claimed it will be re-ticketed. That ticket would be good until another time (maybe 10:00). And again could be re-ticketed if the item was not claimed. He said they have had too many unclaimed items. I found that hard to believe.

He said they would hand out tickets like they did last year. Our store reps would not tell you what tickets they had, you had to tell them what you were there for. He said this was done for the first time last year to reduce 'ticket grabbers'.

As far as additional DBs: He wouldn't spill any beans on them. Just that there are some really good deals being added and even some really good deals in this Sunday's ad. Basically I took away that he really didn't have any details on anything!

He asked me what time I was lining up because the feel the lines will be earlier and longer this year. Again, I'm thinking no on that. I told him I could not tell him what time because it would be a security breach in my year-long plan to be the DB King. Also, my Gottadeal BF T-Shirt needs assurance that the people behind me indeed see that I got theor DB! :D

I can understand the reason for it although unless they explain it ahead of time it could be difficult to know what items they even have tickets for. Am I supposed to stand the for 10 minutes reading from a list and then locating the employee that has the ticket I am looking for? What if the item I want doesn't hve a ticket because I don't remember the price and the exact item? Will they give me an ad to show them what items I want tickets for? Doubt it. So they won't tell you what items are ticketed but they are not telling the public? That is going to hold up the line so bad they will probably put a stop to it by next year. I only hope they are not planning to do that in my store. I usually know what I want but I don't have a list in front of me. Not that it should matter to me since I am going to be firt on line, but how will the people further back know what tickets are gone if they won't tell you what tickets are available? Do they read of their list and not have the available tickets and then just not get the ticket for the other items that they wanted to replace the item not available because they didn't tell them they wanted that ticket quick enough? Sounds like a fair idea if they let everyone know ahead of time but not to just surprise a few stores with this new policy. I'll make sure my group is ready, and it won't be too big of a problem since we will have our choice being the first on line. That is unless someone else decided=s to beat last years time by 5 1/2hrs earlier like I'm planning.

As far as it being busier this year, there are 2 ways to look at it. The cheap items will go faster than usual, such as the cheap laptops and desktops. I would not be surpised if once a lot of people realize they are not going to get those items they may just go someplace else. Everyone is hurting financially so they will get there earlier than usual for the best deals but once the line gets too big I would expect less people to show and stay on the line. I plan to be earlier than ever for this reason since I am going for the top doorbusters.

the reason why they have left over tickets is people in the front will take tickets because they can then they will either try to sell them or throw them out because they changed

their mind.

I saw it happen last year, and the sad thing is some people get tickets and try to sell

them to people in the back for like $100+ dollars.

the reason why they have left over tickets is people in the front will take tickets because they can then they will either try to sell them or throw them out because they changed

their mind.

I saw it happen last year, and the sad thing is some people get tickets and try to sell

them to people in the back for like $100+ dollars.

Selling them is totally wrong but then again the employees not telling the people what ticket they have is wrong it will cause mayhem. The crowd is so big that how is the employee going to remember who asked for what. I think they should stick with their old system but cut the time thy have to get their items. Im pretty sure it doesnt take someone over 3 hours to get the item. Shorten the time to a reasonable amount so that when that time is up you can sell the item to someone else.

I can understand the reason for it although unless they explain it ahead of time it could be difficult to know what items they even have tickets for. Am I supposed to stand the for 10 minutes reading from a list and then locating the employee that has the ticket I am looking for? What if the item I want doesn't hve a ticket because I don't remember the price and the exact item? Will they give me an ad to show them what items I want tickets for? Doubt it. So they won't tell you what items are ticketed but they are not telling the public? That is going to hold up the line so bad they will probably put a stop to it by next year. I only hope they are not planning to do that in my store. I usually know what I want but I don't have a list in front of me. Not that it should matter to me since I am going to be firt on line, but how will the people further back know what tickets are gone if they won't tell you what tickets are available? Do they read of their list and not have the available tickets and then just not get the ticket for the other items that they wanted to replace the item not available because they didn't tell them they wanted that ticket quick enough? Sounds like a fair idea if they let everyone know ahead of time but not to just surprise a few stores with this new policy. I'll make sure my group is ready, and it won't be too big of a problem since we will have our choice being the first on line. That is unless someone else decided=s to beat last years time by 5 1/2hrs earlier like I'm planning.

As far as it being busier this year, there are 2 ways to look at it. The cheap items will go faster than usual, such as the cheap laptops and desktops. I would not be surpised if once a lot of people realize they are not going to get those items they may just go someplace else. Everyone is hurting financially so they will get there earlier than usual for the best deals but once the line gets too big I would expect less people to show and stay on the line. I plan to be earlier than ever for this reason since I am going for the top doorbusters.

Ticketed items will only be for the early bird specials, so there is no way that you have a list that will take you ten minutes to read. When the employees walk buy we will say what type of tickets we have a.k.a Home Theater, Computers, etc. But we won't walk out their like a beer salesmen at a baseball game, "Wow wants a 50" plasma for 899?" Because we will waste a lot of the tickets on people that will just snatch them up.

then again look at it in my point

i mean for instance computers

theres going to be like probably 4+ different ticketed computers its going to be mayhem if no one knows what a employee has. ive had this done to me multiple times and its not even on BF. Employees would go get the person that could really help me in terms of BF they would go find who has the ticket I neeed and they dont even bother coming back or dont recognize me. And with the huge crowd on BF theres so many people that the employees will be close to 100% not recognizing anyone that asked them

then again look at it in my point

i mean for instance computers

theres going to be like probably 4+ different ticketed computers its going to be mayhem if no one knows what a employee has. ive had this done to me multiple times and its not even on BF. Employees would go get the person that could really help me in terms of BF they would go find who has the ticket I neeed and they dont even bother coming back or dont recognize me. And with the huge crowd on BF theres so many people that the employees will be close to 100% not recognizing anyone that asked them

At least at my store I will doing tvs. I am going to start at the front of the line and asked everyone if they are waiting for a tv. They say yes, I ask which one? They say something like 32" LG for X amount of dollars. Awesome, since I have the tickets, I give them one. It isn't that difficult.

I kno what u mean but you will only have the ticket for that 32" LG am I correct? Each employee only has tickets for a single item right? Then another employee will have the ticket for a say 42" Sony. Say he passes by when your asking the person who wanted that 42" Sony. You would obviously or hopefully out of good will help the person whom you were talking to get the employee with the Sony ticket to come back and give a ticcket to the customer. Theres a possibility that when the other employee or you comes back with the ticket that the customer wont be recognized in the crowd. Get what I mean?

By the way since you work for best buy do you know if the HP for 599.99 will be ticketed?

At least at my store I will doing tvs. I am going to start at the front of the line and asked everyone if they are waiting for a tv. They say yes, I ask which one? They say something like 32" LG for X amount of dollars. Awesome, since I have the tickets, I give them one. It isn't that difficult.

It isn't difficult, but it is stupid.

You ask which one and the person in line describes the one they one. Unless they are going to whisper it in your ear and you swear them to secrecy, others in line will know it too... so when you ask again "who wants a tv" they'll have an answer too (even if they didn't have one before).

Restricting door-busters to 1 total per person seems like it would be more effective and give more people an opportunity to feel like they got a deal.

Ticketed items will only be for the early bird specials, so there is no way that you have a list that will take you ten minutes to read. When the employees walk buy we will say what type of tickets we have a.k.a Home Theater, Computers, etc. But we won't walk out their like a beer salesmen at a baseball game, "Wow wants a 50" plasma for 899?" Because we will waste a lot of the tickets on people that will just snatch them up.

I understand what you're saying about people taking them and not wanting them, that is wrong, but I think it will cause too much confusion especially if they don't warn people ahead of time. Oh, and it's not just doorbusters that they have tickets for. They also have for some of the other hot items that are limited. The $479 laptop for example is not a doorbuster but I'm sure it will be ticketed. As of right now that is the main item I am going for this year. I also found out that there will be a $229 laptop (a doorbuster that has always been ticketed in the past) that I intend to get as well. Last year the Sony Vaio wasn't a doorbuster (for $399) but I got the ticket for it, and yes I purchased it.

Selling tickets is wrong and they will throw you off the line or arrest you if you get caught. It falls under scalping laws, at least where I am, and if caught you will get arrested, have your tickets taken back, and be thrown off the line. Anyone planning to try it feel free but make sure you have someone available to bail you out if the cops catch you.

Depending on what you want in a laptop, OD has this one going on sale tomorrow (sunday) for $489.99 AR.

17" Screen

4GB Ram AMD TUrion X2 TL-60 Dual Core

250GB Hard Drive

Webcam

CD/DVDRW with lightscribe

Windows Vista 64 bit.

Model DV9999, OD item number 894065

In a system like that are they going to allow one ticket for each if for example I wanted 3 different tvs? Last year I bought 2 different laptops with no problem since they were each 1 per customer. Shouldn't be a problem but just asking if they will be giving a hard time if people want more of the same type of, but different items. Also in the past it's not always just doorbuster items. Most of the desktops, laptops, and tvs are ticketed. Pretty much all the ones listed with a minimum for each store. It would suck if I'm the first on line (which I will be) and while I'm getting the other items not ticketed I lose out on the $479 Toshiba laptop because someone went right on line instead of buying any other items first. Best Buy wants people to buy other items since they lose money on each doorbuster, and many other items listed for low prices. If Best Buy doesn't ticket the $479 laptop I'll just get right on line and leave instead of spending the $2000 or so I'm planning to. I know some of the items I am planning will not be ticketed (Pinnacle tuner $$59.99, Microsoft optical mouse, etc) and I will not get back in line after I make my purchases. You're wrong on just the doorbuster items being ticketed, I've been doing this for many years at Best Buy.

Depending on what you want in a laptop, OD has this one going on sale tomorrow (sunday) for $489.99 AR.

17" Screen

4GB Ram AMD TUrion X2 TL-60 Dual Core

250GB Hard Drive

Webcam

CD/DVDRW with lightscribe

Windows Vista 64 bit.

Model DV9999, OD item number 894065

What brand? Sounds like a real nice system for that price. The $479 one at Best Buy doesn't specify webcam so I assume it doesn't include it. Than again it doesn't say DL DVD but since that is pretty much standard I think it will be but regardless I want it. Also that is 17" and the Best Buy is 15.4" so if someone is looking to use it for watching movies sounds real good. Maybe that could reduce my competition at BB on BF, lol.

Just got back from my recon run, lol. Actually the Tom Tom 125 on sale for $99.99 everwhere as a doorbuster, is currently on sale now in Best Buy for the same as their BF prices. No lines, no hassle, no running.... grabbed 2, lol. God thing I went too, they changed the layout from last year. Also as far as the tickets it is pretty much company-wide that they are going to have you tell them what you want. If you say "laptop" you go to the person handling all the laptops and tell them which ones you want. You can get up to one ticket for each laptop (which I had suspected) and as always there is no ticket limit. Much to my surprise they also said they will not be enforcing any selling of the tickets to others on line, and even went as far as to say that it is somewhat preferred since it guarantees the item will be sold and they don't have to reissue the tickets. I still disagree with that but just keeping you all informed as to my recon.

Picked up a new propane heater and I'm ready to go get on line now............

OK so I'll wait a little longer before I get on line but I'm set to go now.

Also as far as the tickets it is pretty much company-wide that they are going to have you tell them what you want. If you say "laptop" you go to the person handling all the laptops and tell them which ones you want. You can get up to one ticket for each laptop (which I had suspected) and as always there is no ticket limit.

It doesn't seem like they thought this change through. How will they manage the line when "you go to the person handling all the laptops"? They certainly don't expect you to leave the line, or do they?

So rather than shouting out "who is looking for the 'x' laptop for $y?" We're going to have to know what is available and tell them? And we're supposed to be mind readers as to which items require a ticket? That is going to slow the process way down as each person in line tells the laptop guy which laptop they're interested in and asking if a ticket is required (instead of only those who are interested in ticketed laptops). The usual campers at our local Best Buy are a great bunch with the current system, I think that the added stress of the economy and new system are going to test people's patience and civility.

Looks like I'll be picking up a slightly more expensive laptop tomorrow (for my wife's birthday gift) and camp out at BB for the "secret" DB laptop.

It doesn't seem like they thought this change through. How will they manage the line when "you go to the person handling all the laptops"? They certainly don't expect you to leave the line, or do they?

So rather than shouting out "who is looking for the 'x' laptop for $y?" We're going to have to know what is available and tell them? And we're supposed to be mind readers as to which items require a ticket? That is going to slow the process way down as each person in line tells the laptop guy which laptop they're interested in and asking if a ticket is required (instead of only those who are interested in ticketed laptops). The usual campers at our local Best Buy are a great bunch with the current system, I think that the added stress of the economy and new system are going to test people's patience and civility.

Looks like I'll be picking up a slightly more expensive laptop tomorrow (for my wife's birthday gift) and camp out at BB for the "secret" DB laptop.

That's what my concern is. How are we supposed to know WHAT requires a ticket and what doesn't? Maybe that's the trick though. If we all band together and slow the lines up so much that they all report back to corporate how the system sucks they'll change it back, lol. Actully where I go they don't come outside to give out the tickets any more. Last year they gave out the tickets inside the hallway to the mall and it went much smoother. I asked and they are doing it the same way this year since it went so smoothly and everyone was happy to be out of the cold earlier. Again, part of my recon mission, lol.

Dumb question but why should it matter? I mean if I want ummmm a TV and am inline and it is not a ticket item then in theory I should still be able to get my TV. Since I was close enough to get a ticket and all.

Depends how fast your legs are when they open the doors. Not sure which TV you are referring to, but tvs are large items and the place is so jammed they don't want someone walking through the store with a large tv that's going to get broken. For the most part I can't remeber a tv not being ticketed whether it's a doorbuster or not. Most of the large items, doorbusters, and limited quantity items are ticketed to give everyone a fair shot. Fair is first come first serve, and if you are there at 10AM Thursday there is no reason why someone showing up at 4AM Friday should get the limited items if you choose to get it. The reason I go to Best Buy every year is for the fact that they are fair with the tickets, unlike other places such as......WALMART, where they don't tell whenhe tickets will be given out and last time I tried getting a computer there, 19 of the 40 went to employees or their families. The reason I know thi is as fact is many came over and took off their vest when they got to the line or handed the ticket to someone that showed up.

Dumb question but why should it matter? I mean if I want ummmm a TV and am inline and it is not a ticket item then in theory I should still be able to get my TV. Since I was close enough to get a ticket and all.

In addition to what TazErase said, it matters because it doesn't improve the system for anybody. It doesn't give more a people in line a chance to buy a door-buster item and it doesn't make it easier on the employees. It just sounds like more work and frustration all the way around.

Depends how fast your legs are when they open the doors. Not sure which TV you are referring to, but tvs are large items and the place is so jammed they don't want someone walking through the store with a large tv that's going to get broken. For the most part I can't remeber a tv not being ticketed whether it's a doorbuster or not. Most of the large items, doorbusters, and limited quantity items are ticketed to give everyone a fair shot. Fair is first come first serve, and if you are there at 10AM Thursday there is no reason why someone showing up at 4AM Friday should get the limited items if you choose to get it. The reason I go to Best Buy every year is for the fact that they are fair with the tickets, unlike other places such as......WALMART, where they don't tell whenhe tickets will be given out and last time I tried getting a computer there, 19 of the 40 went to employees or their families. The reason I know thi is as fact is many came over and took off their vest when they got to the line or handed the ticket to someone that showed up.

Last year my "door buster" TV was not ticketed. My wife handled getting it, though, so I do not remember a lot of the details. It was the $1500 one, though, and not the cheep-o one (My wifes choice, I personally would have gone for the cheep-o one).

No one leaves the line. The employees will walk the line and talk to everyone in line.

Depends how fast your legs are when they open the doors. Not sure which TV you are referring to, but tvs are large items and the place is so jammed they don't want someone walking through the store with a large tv that's going to get broken. For the most part I can't remeber a tv not being ticketed whether it's a doorbuster or not. Most of the large items, doorbusters, and limited quantity items are ticketed to give everyone a fair shot. Fair is first come first serve, and if you are there at 10AM Thursday there is no reason why someone showing up at 4AM Friday should get the limited items if you choose to get it.

Well I don't need a TV this year as I have mine already but 2 years ago at BB I was able to rush in the store (did not have a ticket) and they had the item stacked up (like a display) and I got my limited quantity TV.

What BB are you shopping at? Mine seems to be survival of the fittest with the exception of a few doorbusters as they let the first few inline into the story early to pay for their doorbuster, they are allowed back inline if they have other shopping to do. O! the BB also hands out maps showing where each doorbuster is located.

The system has been in place for 4 years I think.

I guess my silly view is if you are there early you have a headstart on those who are behind you.