What to buy?

I have been shopping along the way, so I'm almost done especially with the little ones. I did this cause my mom passed away in July and was afraid the closer it got to the holidays the less I would feel like shopping.

A few weeks ago I won $1000 from a local radio station, :tongue1: when I picked it up this weekend it is on a Visa card instead of a check they usually give. (I usually win @ least once a year from them)! It expires in April so I'm trying to decide if there are any good deals or if there will be better deals afterwards. My son is in college, when I called him Sat and ask if there was anything special he wanted for Christmas he said "Mom, I think you need to spend on you first". Only trouble is can't think of anything "I" really need or want.

So anyone know of any super duper deals that I might really need or want and just don't know it yet? :cheesy:

So sorry to hear about your mother.

Congrats on your winning however!! I think that you should spend the money on yourself! Get a nice Laptop, iPod, digital camera, anything! Heck, a thousand bucks doesn't go far this year, but if you look closely, you can find KILLER deals! Good luck!

My mom is an avid reader so for Christmas we got her an Amazon Kindle. If I won a thousand bucks I would buy a nice LCD TV!!

If you don't want to spend it all on yourself or your family, you could take a hundred or two and do some Sharing/Giving/Angel Tree or see if there is a family in need and get them some everyday things (like towels, bedding,food cards). I know it would really brighten someone's holiday and probably help you through this difficult time.

Sorry to hear about your mother.......my prayers are with you and your family.

congrats on the win.

The day after Christmas there is a cruise to the bahamas for 299.00 per person (4 days ) you and a girlfriend go do that. I am sure that it is much needed after what you have been through. If you would like more info on the cruise I would be happy to get it for you. Friends of mine are going. she said it costs her about 500 per person after fees and taxes and such, plus you would have to get a passport and get yourself down to Miami (?) either way, it would be a great way to spend that 1K. good luck and God bless

Thanks for the ideas. Niece called she is getting a paycut and her husband got laid off. They have 3 small kids (5 & under) her mom (my sister) passed away in 2004 and she has no one else so told DH I'm going to use some of my winnings to help Santa at their house. Haven't told her yet!

A cruise would be great DH & I talked about that for our anniversary in March after income tax refund so i may just save whats left until then

Thanks for the ideas. Niece called she is getting a paycut and her husband got laid off. They have 3 small kids (5 & under) her mom (my sister) passed away in 2004 and she has no one else so told DH I'm going to use some of my winnings to help Santa at their house. Haven't told her yet!

A cruise would be great DH & I talked about that for our anniversary in March after income tax refund so i may just save whats left until then

That's sounds like a wonderful idea! You both will receive :yup:

I am so sorry to hear about your mom and sister. I understand and know your pain. I'll say a prayer for you. God bless.

Oh, and I love your name lol I feel the same way!

That is so sweet of you for your niece. My mom and dad did this once for my cousin. She had 4 kids and the youngest was born premature so they had been at the NICU for months. Rough year. Her only request was that they not tell people (like all of my other cousins!!!) including their children as they didn't want any credit for this, just wanted to make one thing a little easier for them that year. My mom felt so good because she knew it was doing good, and my cousin and her hubby were able to give their kids a great xmas with no stress on paying for presents.

And my mom passed away this year too. It has really affected my shopping. She started me of BF stuff years ago and I have honestly really really missed being able to call her each day and tell her what all I got for such great prices! Good luck with the holidays.

i'm so sorry to hear about your losses. :(

That was so sweet of your son to say you deserve to spend it on yourself.

What a wonderful thing you are doing with helping santa out at your neices house.

Cruises are soo nice and you really get spoiled on them. Sounds like you really deserve to get spoiled. :)

Thank you all. Midwestmama I'm sorry for your loss also. It's rough without mamas!

It's been a rough 21 months for us. In Feb of 2007 mom had 2 sisters (my aunts) that passed away within 8 days of each other, my brother (her only son) passed away in May, another sister (my aunt) in Sept, her nephew in March 2008 and mom in July. It helps knowing that mom was ready to go she was tired physically and emotionally. She always loved our family get togethers so we will continue on with them.

Talked to my neice today and got ideas & sizes for the boys still haven't told her what I'm planning think I may just buy and then take and leave it where I know she'll find it! If anyone sees any good deals on toys or kids clothes please let me know!

Dmmiller I have to say I have a wonderful and understanding son. He has never complained with what he has gotten (or not) and always tells me I need to take "me" time especially since mom is gone. He's even planning on wrapping gifts when he comes home for Thanksgiving next week!

I lost my mom in April - so I can definitely understand. I don't feel I am the sam person anymore. We used to have soooo much fun on BF - she was a hoot! I may be getting some inheritance (lots of red tape) and I think that I am going to buy myself a nice digital camera. One that I have wanted for years, but could justify spending that much on myself. Then the rest will go to pay off bills.

You should take some for yourself - do or buy something that will make you happy and that would make your mom happy for you!!

Will be praying for you and Midwestmama. It is tough w/o our mamas.

Do you have a Kohls around there? If so... watch for their good sale codes and when they come out you can order from them and they can return things to the store easily if they don't fit. I have gotten a lot of clothes for my boys there and toys too. I love free shipping.

Aldi tends to have cheap (price wise) toys this time of year.

I really didn't want to go to Walmart early on BF but looks like I may have to go fight the crowd. They have got some great toys for my neice's kids thinking along the line of getting the

2 older ones a radio controlled ATV each ($10 each),

Hot Wheels Mega City Playset & a 10 pk of vehicles to share ($25 total)

a set of Mega Bloks 100 pc to share ($10)

Fisher Price Rock & Play Piano for the little on ($10)

That's $65 + tax still be able to get them some clothes. Looks like I may be able to get them quite a bit with the $150- $200 I planned to spend on them. YEA! :razz: