Need ideas on how to "do" Christmas for a two year old.

arf110106

Hi,

I just signed up for this forum last night and have been reading for hours. I am absolutely hooked and excited to find people who are just as enthusiastic about the holidays as I am!

I look forward to getting to know you all! :)

Ok, well on to my question.

This year will be the first year for me and DH that we will not be going home. It will basically just be Dh, dd2, and I. We just moved from CA to WA in May and could save up to plan a big trip home. So instead we will be starting our own Christmas tradition.

Last year we just went over to DH's aunts house where most of dd's gifts were(Grandma brought them). She had just turned one and didn't really understand what was going on so we didn't go all out with gifts and such. But this year now that she's turned two I really want to get into the whole holiday experience; the tree, stockings, lights, decorations! You name it I want to do it. BUT I'm wondering if maybe I should still hold off and just be low key this year because dd may still not understand completely what's going on.

What do you guys think? I really want to decorate and put gifts under the tree, but at the same time maybe I should wait until she's three to do the big Christmas thing I want to do.

Thanks for any input I receive! :)

Welcome to the community!

I think you should do whatever you want. It is the time for you to start your own family traditions. Maybe you have some favorites from when you grew up, maybe your dh has some favorites too. Find the combination that works for your family and as the years go on, explain the meaning of xmas to your dd and explain where your traditions came from.

You also might want to wait on putting the presents under the tree, they will probably be opened before xmas! lol At my house, Santa brings one special gift, the rest are from mom & dad, siblings, pets, whatever, the kids don't really care (mine are all teenagers now).

At your dd's age, I wouldn't go overboard with presents, but decorate till your hearts content! Then sit back and enjoy the amazement on your little angels face. :)

I would say go ahead and do it. My DS was two last year and he was so excited to see all the gifts under the tree waiting for him on Christmas morning. Even though I don't think he got the whole idea of Christmas, it was still exciting for him. Also, I decorated most of the house while he was taking a nap one afternoon, and when he woke up he was in shock. He stopped in his tracks and his eyes got real wide and he said, "this looks pretty, Mom".

I'd decorate and I did when my first son was a baby. Every christmas I put out all their pictures with santa and by our tree from past christmases and all my kids love looking at them. And the surprise and excitement in their faces on christmas morning. I don't care if they exactly remember it, I do. And they may not specifically remember every christmas but I hope they remember the love and joy and excitement of the holiday in general. And it's never too young for that.

Good afternoon and welcome!! Glad to have you!!

I would say definitely do it, she may remember it later you never know. I am 25 and remember things from when I was 2 and 3 from christmas..... I remember waking up in the middle of the night when I was two to find my mother putting the batteries in my Teddy Ruxben (sp?). LOL

Anyway, children no matter how large or small will remember and absorb certain things. I wouldn't go crazy on gifts, but the whole Christmas spirit thing and teaching her about Jesus and it being his birthday is great for a two year old.

I say go for it! Give your dd the full Christmas experience! My son was 8 months old for his first Christmas in 2004 and I still went all out for it! Tree, stocking, gifts, cookies for Santa, the whole nine yards. Even if he doesn't remember it, he definitely enjoyed the day! And I have some wonderful memories myself! Have a merry Christmas!

I say definately do it! Even if she doesnt remember it she will still play a part now at the age she is. And the pictures will also be important. Do you already have everything decor etc. or are wondering about holding off on getting it?

No we don't have any decorations yet because when we moved out of state we only moved with things we could stuff in the van. So basically we are starting from scratch again on decorations. I'm actually looking foward to buying new decorations for the house!

You guys are awesome thanks for all the input!

When my kids were young (2-3) they even helped put stuff on the tree. I would buy unbreakables and they would decorate the lower branches, but for some reason they like to put all the ornaments on the same two branches.

As far as lots of toys I wouldn't get so much as they get overwhelmed. I had a friend that gave her kid so much stuff that it took hours and the kid didn't want to do it because she wanted to play with the first thing or two.