Who has the best deal on a Blu-Ray Player?

CyntharianM

Not sure about the best, but I can tell you to look for a Sony. I have 2 Sony Blu-Ray players and thy are absolutely awesome. I love them. I'd stick to a good name company, like Sony, and choose one based on features.. NOT price. If you choose one just based on price, you will likely be replacing it within about a year. Trust me... my cousin found that out the hard way. He was not happy.

I'd probably go for the Sony or Samsung that'll be around $180 or less come BF (at some places, they're close to that price now). The only downside to those players is that they won't have the 8-channel analog outputs, but that may not be important to you.

K-Mart has the Sony BDP-S350 Blu-ray Disc Player on sale Thanksgiving & Black Friday. The reviews look good for this one and I'll be heading out there Thanksgiving to get one.

I was thinking about that one too. Do you guys think getting there 1 hour before the 7AM opening is sufficient to grab one of these or will that not be early enough?

so Question. I am debating getting a BR player (def sony) I know they are good, but for someone like me who watches movies MAYBE 10 times a year. Is it worth it? I am thinking no, and also am thinking by the time DVD gets wiped out, BR players will go for 50.00 or less.

Comments? Suggestions?

In your case - no, it's not worth it. Don't look for blue-ray to take over for DVD's for a very long time (if ever). They are a growing niche market right now. Unless you watch a lot of movies on an HDTV, don't bother. An upconverting DVD player is plenty good enough otherwise. Even then, blue-ray is only worth it for movies with a lot of special effects or computer animation (think Iron Man or Cars). For your average drama/comedy, it's not even remotely worth it.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with blu-ray only being good for movies with lots of special effects. The difference between dvd and blu-ray is night and day if you have a hdtv no matter whether it's heavy with special effects or none at all.

Do a google search for dvd and hi def comparisons and you'll see how different they are. However I do agree that it's not worth it right now for you if you watch movies that infrequently.

I didn't say you couldn't tell a difference in non-special effects movies - simply that it wasn't worth the added expense.... unless of course you like to look at wrinkles and blemishes on the actors' faces. :)

For the vast majority of the population, blue-ray is a waste for movies without special effects. We have a Samsung 52" LCD (650 Series - that's 1080p w/ 120hz) and a PS3, which yields one of the best pictures you can get. We have a pretty good blue-ray collection, but won't waste our money on blue-ray movies that don't have CGI or special effects. An exception to that would be those amazing nature shots in Planet Earth and the like. Upconversion is plenty good enough otherwise.