Operation Main Street - Walmart Backs Main Street With Thousands of Rollbacks

bigjimslade

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20081106/us_nm/us_walmart_holiday;_ylt=AtsHdc1..8aSJYfBhC8h86.s0NUE

Wal-Mart will cut prices every week until Christmas

NEW YORK (Reuters) – Wal-Mart Stores Inc will be introducing new rounds of price cuts every week until Christmas as the world's largest retailer reaches out and appeals to cash-strapped shoppers looking to stretch their holiday budgets.

As part of what it is calling "Operation Main Street," Wal-Mart will be slashing prices on thousands of items that it says are "vital" to the holiday season, like food and toys.

The move will build on price cuts the discount retailer implemented in October when it offered 10 popular toys for $10 each.

"It's very much along those same lines, only it takes the intensity up massively," Stephen Quinn, Wal-Mart's chief marketing officer, told Reuters, referring to the new price cuts.

Wal-Mart's sales have been outperforming many of its competitors this year as U.S. shoppers -- pressured by high food and fuel prices, declining home values, extremely tight credit, and a weak jobs market -- flock to its stores in search of bargains.

At its analyst meeting last week, Chief Executive Officer Lee Scott stressed that "Christmas will come on Dec 25" despite the economy and said that Wal-Mart will have the best prices in the market for the holiday season.

Quinn said Wal-Mart has surveyed moms to find out how they are planning to shop over the next eight weeks -- from getting their homes set for the holidays, to buying food for Thanksgiving dinner, to purchasing gifts.

Wal-Mart will offer price cuts on merchandise that coordinates with those shopping patterns.

"Clearly, this economy has made things tougher for moms and those who are planning budgets for families," he said. "They've never planned more than they are planning now. They feel like they have to manage the budget."

Shoppers can sign up on Wal-Mart's Website, www.walmart.com/mobileinfo, to receive alerts on their mobile phones outlining the weekly price reductions.

"These mobile messages are going to be very relevant to the exact time period you're in," Quinn said.

Quinn said Wal-Mart has worked with its suppliers to ensure it has adequate supply of the products it will be promoting. The retailer will be touting its low prices in ads on TV, its Website, on the radio and in newspaper circulars.

"We've got more marketing support than we've ever had to make sure people are really are aware of all the values that we have to offer," Quinn said.

(Editing by Bernard Orr)

Edited by bigjimslade

I've noticed the past couple times I've been in there some toys have dropped by a dollar or two. I was thinking of picking up a little toy the other day and it was only $12 and next time I went in it was $10. I haven't bought it yet but will today as I am going to wally world today.

Here is the PR for the event from WM.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/081106/lath039.html?.v=101

Walmart Backs Main Street With Thousands of Rollbacks and Millions in Holiday Savings

Thursday November 6, 7:19 am ET

Retailer aims to cut the cost of Christmas with deeper values for customers, Foundation increases support for community organizations

BENTONVILLE, Ark., Nov. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Walmart today announced initiatives specifically targeting the needs of American families and communities over the next seven weeks. Walmart vows to lead on delivering a Christmas that costs less, with targeted week-to-week savings and thousands of Rollbacks. Operation Main Street also includes initiatives that reach beyond shopping carts by lending a helping hand to community organizations hit especially hard in tough economic times.

Over the next seven weeks, the retailer anticipates saving consumers an additional $200 million over and above its every day low prices. Each week new savings will be introduced as the retailer keeps particular focus on the prices of items families want and need most.

"In challenging times, our customers look to Walmart to be their advocate and do what we do best -- save them money," said Eduardo Castro-Wright, Walmart U.S. president and CEO. "Families trust us and our customers will be amazed at the depth of the savings."

Thousands of Rollbacks Storewide

With savings on thousands of items on Rollback, Walmart's strategy is simple -- to provide customers with savings that matter on the dinner table and under the tree. From health to home, examples of these new savings across the store include:

-- Toys: Additional Rollbacks to $10 include classic family board games like Battleship (was $14.38) and the Littlest Pet Shop Play Pack (was $11.88). The savings don't stop with $10 toys, as there are hundreds of additional new Rollbacks in the toy aisle.

-- Home: GE 12-cup coffee maker and 14-speed blender (were $29.88, now $24).

-- Electronics: Magnavox Blu-ray player (was $229, now $198).

-- Grocery: Betty Crocker potatoes (was $1.48-$1.58, now 98 cents); 48- oz. Crisco vegetable oil (was $3.88, now $2.98).

-- Health: Airborne tablets (was $5.97, now $4.92).

November 8 One-Day Savings

To kick off seven weeks of additional savings this Christmas season, and because electronics are high on holiday shopping lists,* Walmart is launching one-day savings this Saturday, Nov. 8, including these items:

-- Sony 2GB Walkman MP3 player at $49.**

-- $298 Compaq CQ-139WM 15.4" laptop with 2GB RAM and 160GB hard drive.**

-- $100 Walmart Gift Card with a $399 Sony PlayStation 3 or a $30 Walmart Gift Card with $129 Sony PlayStation 2.

-- Video games at $19.82 including Warhawk, Resistance and MotorStorm.

To keep shoppers informed of special weekly holiday savings at the press of a button, Walmart has also launched a "Savings Alert" mobile service to give them all-the-time access and weekly notifications about these savings. Customers can sign up at http://www.walmart.com/mobileinfo or by dialing #WMT from any cell phone. Customers can also visit Walmart.com to view all of the Nov. 8 One-Day Savings items.

More Savings with Free Shipping

To help customers save even more, Walmart.com has extended its Site to Store order cut-off date by seven days (through Dec. 17). The popular Site to Store service provides free shipping of online orders to local Walmart stores, and the retailer expects to save customers more than $40 million in shipping fees this Christmas season. More information is available at http://www.walmart.com/sitetostore.

Wal-Mart Foundation Supports Communities

Operation Main Street will ensure Walmart stands shoulder-to-shoulder with its community partners with a commitment to helping Americans hit hardest by tough economic times. Focused on immediate needs, the Wal-Mart Foundation will give more than $20 million combined to local community organization over the next seven weeks.

Today, the Wal-Mart Foundation also announced a $1.25 million grant to The Salvation Army. Red Kettles will, once again, be invited in front of Walmart stores and Sam's Club locations from Friday, Nov. 28 through Wednesday, Dec. 24. And this year, the Wal-Mart Foundation will invite customers to give early -- and throughout the season -- by hosting The Salvation Army bell ringers and Red Kettles for a special day of giving on Saturday, Nov. 8.

About Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT - News)

Every week, millions of customers visit Walmart Stores, Supercenters, Neighborhood Markets, and Sam's Club locations across America or log on to its online store at http://www.walmart.com. The company and its Foundation are committed to a philosophy of giving back locally. Walmart (NYSE: WMT - News) is proud to support the causes that are important to customers and associates right in their own neighborhoods, and last year gave more than $296 million to local communities in the United States. More information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://www.walmartstores.com. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com.

About Philanthropy at Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT - News) and the Wal-Mart Foundation are proud to support the charitable causes that are important to customers and associates in their own neighborhoods. Through its philanthropic programs and partnerships, the Wal-Mart Foundation supports initiatives focused on enhancing opportunities in education, job skills training, sustainability and health. In 2007, Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and the Wal-Mart Foundation gave $296 million to communities across the United States. To learn more, visit http://www.walmartfoundation.org.

* The 2008 Holiday Shopping Intentions Survey, http://walmartstores.com/FactsNews/NewsRoom/8645.aspx.

** Prices in some markets may vary by state. Prices listed represent the majority of Walmart stores nationwide. Some restrictions apply, void where prohibited.

I was looking at the Battleship board game just this weekend. My boyfriend was gonna buy it (it was still $14.38 though) and I told him no wait til BF cause we could probably get it cheaper. I will might buy it today if its $10. When I go to walmart today I will look in the toys and see what other rollbacks I can find.

I was in Wal-Mart today. They had the Hulk smash hands for $10, Indiana jones sword also $10 both were $20 before. Step 2 kitchen now $78 was $98. The board games mentioned above were marked down too.

Looks like these deals are all available online, too! :cool:

I'm liking all these rollbacks. Keep it up, Walmart. :yup: