Guests: Please register to get rid of these annoying ads! Registered members enjoy an ad-free forum.

Photo

Letter Received from Walmart's Legal Representatives

• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#1 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 22,171 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 9:20 am

Received this about 10 minutes ago via FedEx:

Posted Image

#2 Kandy  OFFLINE  

Kandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,064 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 9:32 am

Boy are they on top of it this year.
~*~Debbie~*~

#3 rabx5  OFFLINE  

rabx5

Jodi

• 4,136 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 9:34 am

Party poopers :gdparanoid:
Smoke free since February 16, 2007

#4 teebee  OFFLINE  

teebee

• 3,451 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 9:39 am

Cry babies

#5 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 22,171 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 9:44 am

instead of contacting walmart like we did last year (which got out of hand when a couple people crossed the line), if anyone is upset about this, consider reporting this news to your local newspaper or tv station, national news organizations, major blogs, digg the story on the home page, etc... just point them to the black friday site home page: http://blackfriday.gottadeal.com

that serves to both get walmart some bad publicity as well as get our site some good publicity :)

#6 cambo357  OFFLINE  

cambo357

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19 Posts
  • Member since 2008

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 10:27 am

well, this is hardly a surprise. C&D happens every year, this time they were just proactive. in any case, the as will still get leaked. only takes a single instance of it and its out. at least Walmart is open to it being released on that monday before. alot of other retailers wont even tolerate that.

#7 setlok73  OFFLINE  

setlok73

A friends eye is a good mirror

• 1,273 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 10:30 am

Just sent my letters to the local news...hopefully they report it!

#8 stationchief  OFFLINE  

stationchief

Super Ultra Uber Geeky BF Mod

• 4,520 Posts
  • Member since 2005
  • Location: Phoenix, Arizona, North America, Earth, Sol star system, Milky Way galaxy, Known universe!

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 10:44 am

The 'official' release date for Walmart BF ads is November 24th?! Good thing they cleared that up! :tongue1: Sarcasm aside, that's the price you pay for being famous. ;) Guess they didn't really say anything unexpected, just repeated what was said last year in a more 'official' manner. I agree with pretty much everyone else that they've been real party poopers. But, then again, what have they really had to offer in the last few years? I remember getting a great deal on a great laptop at their pre-BF special a while back. Now, ever since their legal suits have stepped in their BF offers have been pretty bland. :( Even so, the ads will still get leaked somehow. But I guess if they really don't have much to offer anymore we really won't be interested in seeing their ads early, anyways.

#9 drmy91  OFFLINE  

drmy91

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 11:26 am

I wasnt going to shop there this year anyway... Target has earned my BF business since this happened last year.
"Could I beee wearing any more clothes???"

#10 siczlo  OFFLINE  

siczlo

• 1,304 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 11:28 am

Wal mart is only hurting itself, because my plan is ready way before the 24th. Guess Wal-mart won't be part of that plan! No $$ for them!
"When you know better, you do better." :grandpa: :victory:--Maya Angelo

#11 Gporter34  OFFLINE  

Gporter34

• 3,957 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 12:00 pm

And...let the games begin. It amazes me how proud they are of crappy ads. In the passt I have liked their ad, but, the last couple of years it hasn't been anything to write home about. I picked up a few things but didn't spend nearly as much there as in years past.
:holiday08 " It's the MOST wonderful time of the year!":holiday08

#12 sbwolfer  OFFLINE  

sbwolfer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 12:26 pm

Once again they won't be getting any of my Black Friday business. It's actually very unlikely that they'll get any of my holiday business. Target has handled things so much better that I'm very happy to give them my holiday money!

#13 msl94  OFFLINE  

msl94

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 141 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 12:44 pm

I wasnt going to shop there this year anyway... Target has earned my BF business since this happened last year.

I don't plan on shopping at Wal-Mart either on BF. It seems as if the Wal-Mart locations in my area are very disorganized and the integrity of their employees is somewhat questionable. I much rather shop at Target any day.

#14 Marcster  OFFLINE  

Marcster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,906 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 12:45 pm

Walmart is no fun. And Brad, you need a scanner, j/k. ;)

I'm Gottadeal's Fix-It/D-I-Y guy. ~ Since 8/2/07, the Ban Hammer has fallen on 233 spammers! Hammer.gif

#15 Venusaur  OFFLINE  

Venusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 12:53 pm

I don't understand. How does it hurt Walmart to have their flyer released early?

#16 Brad  OFFLINE  

Brad

Administrator

• 22,171 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 1:04 pm

Walmart is no fun. And Brad, you need a scanner, j/k. ;)

lol. i have a scanner but i use it so rarely that it's packed away in a closet, while the digicam is right here in front of me.

#17 smangham  OFFLINE  

smangham

• 1,279 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 1:16 pm

I always wondered why my daddy (God rest his soul) said that "Wal-Mart was a bunch of communists.":tongue1: I guess I don't understand because I can't see how GD releasing the ad early could do anything but be a positive thing for WM.....and how this type of legal action could be anything but negative publicity.

#18 Scanner420  OFFLINE  

Scanner420

GD's Resident Carolina Panther's Fan!!!!

• 1,748 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 2:03 pm

Would we expect anything less from them. I mean....we all saw what they did last year....does this really surprise anyone?

This Space for Rent! 
:beer:

#19 yuyi64  OFFLINE  

yuyi64

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 2:31 pm

If they spent as much time putting together a decent BF ad as they do threatening legal action, maybe they wouldn't put out the snoozers they've been passing off as BF ads the last few years. They don't have to worry about me shopping there on BF anyway; there are too many other stores with real ads to waste my time at Wally world.

#20 com  OFFLINE  

com

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 Posts
  • Member since 2004

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 2:44 pm

Walmart sends this type of letter to the newspaper I work for every year as the paper prints the ads in bulk in advance. However, my brother works in the press room and is one of the people "authorized" to see the ad, so I always get a sneak peek.

#21 mgmckny  OFFLINE  

mgmckny

• 2,837 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 3:18 pm

I don't go there on BF either, too much craziness and not enough in their ads to make it worth my while.
“Next to a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Groucho :yup:

#22 peifgirl  OFFLINE  

peifgirl

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 3:29 pm

:rolleyes::( what a bunch of downers....i didn't go there last year cause there ad sucked, i bet it does this year too.

#23 chefboyrmike  OFFLINE  

chefboyrmike

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 3:57 pm

Target is much better than walmart in my book ... And after this I have scratched them from my BF shopping. They will only be hurting their business.

#24 JennG  OFFLINE  

JennG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 4:19 pm

I do not shop there at all.. I think they are crappy!

#25 bigjimslade  OFFLINE  

bigjimslade

• 4,338 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 4:21 pm

That is why I shop at BB. WM has always had crappy electronics on BF anyway.

#26 Tigger97498  OFFLINE  

Tigger97498

• 1,010 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 5:05 pm

they have to let it be released on the 24th because of people like me who get their walmart ads in the mail (I suspect I will get mine on the 25th we usually get them on the Tuesday before. I'm eager for their ad (despite the letter) now because I just found out tonight I need a new printer and you can always count of Walmart having them cheap on Black Friday)

#27 mamapenguin  OFFLINE  

mamapenguin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 277 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 5:06 pm

I see a Santa Wally letter coming in the not so distant future. I forget if it was on here or SD, but when I saw it last year...........I thought maybe. It was right on. There are ways around this.

#28 Venusaur  OFFLINE  

Venusaur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 Posts
  • Member since 2006

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 5:24 pm

Monday doesn't seem that bad though. It still gives you almost 4 days to prepare. It's not like you need a month.

#29 arci122  OFFLINE  

arci122

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 Posts
  • Member since 2007

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 6:00 pm

"Commercially Valuable" Are they kidding me! The only value of late is that we can be assured we are getting a deal some place else. Spent no money there on BF last year, and this year looks like a repeat. I sure hope their ad doesn't get placed on myspace or even better, CNN can do a story on it like it did a few years ago. Down w/ Walmart, Up with better priced stores.

#30 bigjimslade  OFFLINE  

bigjimslade

• 4,338 Posts
  • Member since 2005

Posted Oct 2, 2008 - 6:23 pm

Monday doesn't seem that bad though. It still gives you almost 4 days to prepare. It's not like you need a month.

Yes it does. It give you and the rest of the world to prepare so if you want something you better camp out!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users