Is anyone considering Kota Triceratops for a holiday gift?

cokemeyer

Hi everyone! I just learned about Kota the Triceratops, the new "life-sized" baby dinosaur toy (similar to Butterscotch the pony) and I'm wondering if it really would be worth the $$ for my dinosaur loving DS4. Does anyone have any plans to get one, or have you seen it in person and have an opinion? TIA!

My daughter received S'mores (Butterscotch's friend) and my Goddaughter received Butterscotch. They LOVE them! They may not play with them every day but they are definitely a part of the respective families.

I made up my mine to get them when I realized this is something they can enjoy their entire childhood. It didn't seem like too much of an investment that way.

Hasbro has also come out with a dog that looks really cool but that is around $180.00. I'm thinking very hard on that one. I'm hoping I can find a good deal on it.

I should add that I have no regrets buying the two ponies. They are worth every penny.

I'm getting the dog for my other son this year. We got Butterscotch last year and my son loves him. (twins...one loves horses, the other dogs...if only the dog would have been out last year....lol)

I have not seen this dinosaur, but if it works like the pony and puppy, I think it would probably be awesome for a child who loves dinosaurs! I'm going to ahve to look for this now just to play with it!

thank you all so much! the kota toy is so big they can ride on it (it bounces but doesn't walk) and if I get something that big I want to know it won't just collect dust!

As for the Furreal dog, Biscuit, I searched and even with $10 shipping, bjs.com has the best price of $150.00. You can make a one time purchase off their site as a guest without having a bjs club membership...

Oh my! My 3 yr old DS would absolutely LOVE that. He is a dinosaur fanatic and I can't stress that enough. I think we might seriously have to consider that but I think I might be able to justify it as a joint big gift for DS 3 and DS1. I see that it isn't supposed to be availabe until Oct. 16, do you think we will see any price drops lower than the $299? Maybe someone who bought Butterscotch or Smore might know how the sale trend usually works on these type of items.

I know the first year or two Butterscotch was out my son cried and cried cause he wanted it so badly...as far as I can remember, it didn't go on sale the first 2 years...we bought it last year cause someone on here found a great deal at Kohls. But Butterscotch was a brand new type of toy then, since he went on sale and Smores and now Biscuit are out, there may be more of a sale trend than there was in the beginning

Oh my! My 3 yr old DS would absolutely LOVE that. He is a dinosaur fanatic and I can't stress that enough. I think we might seriously have to consider that but I think I might be able to justify it as a joint big gift for DS 3 and DS1. I see that it isn't supposed to be availabe until Oct. 16, do you think we will see any price drops lower than the $299? Maybe someone who bought Butterscotch or Smore might know how the sale trend usually works on these type of items.

I don't know...I'm afraid of waiting for fear this might end up as one of those "hot" toys. Then again, I'm not sure how many people have room for it, lol! I was hoping that bjs.com might have a good deal on it like they do with the Furreal dog Biscuit (also supposed to be one of this year's "hot" toys) but they don't carry it at all..

Those are cool and if my boys were younger we would definitly have one. Have ya'll seen Pleo? I don't think he's sold in most stores, but they are "wow" cool. Kind of expensive though. hehe

http://ugobestore.ugobe.com/

Check out the videos if you can.

I did see those - really cool! They are smaller than Kota and so are the new "D-rex" toys - check them out. All 3 are so neat!

One thing I can recommend is signing up at Hasbrotoyshop.com. I bought S'mores and Butterscotch directly. They had a BF deal and I purchased them that way. I paid $225 for each pony and got free shipping.

I stayed up late Thankgiving night and placed my order shortly after midnight on BF.

HTH

One thing I can recommend is signing up at Hasbrotoyshop.com. I bought S'mores and Butterscotch directly. They had a BF deal and I purchased them that way. I paid $225 for each pony and got free shipping.

I stayed up late Thankgiving night and placed my order shortly after midnight on BF.

HTH

:gdbouquet1: Hi Afrey66! I almost didn't recognize you at first outside of Perimeter Perusing and with a new avatar! :) I hope you get Biscuit! I figured if I got it I could get some of the Biscuit early reader series books to go along with it. I don't think the dog was named after the book character but they sure do look similar enough! Great tip about hasbro website!!

:gdbouquet1: Hi Afrey66! I almost didn't recognize you at first outside of Perimeter Perusing and with a new avatar! :) I hope you get Biscuit! I figured if I got it I could get some of the Biscuit early reader series books to go along with it. I don't think the dog was named after the book character but they sure do look similar enough! Great tip about hasbro website!!

I thought the same thing about the dog and books. DD5 loves the Biscuit books. She has been reading them to me this week to earn a kids meal from Chick Fil-a through her school. She has not seen the dog out yet. I want to see the dino though

Hi Cokemeyer;

Thank you for the hello. :gdthankyou:

I didn't realize there were "Biscuit" books. This sheds a whole new light on this as it can be educational. lol

I had to cut myself off the Target thread because I was going too crazy buying clearance stuff. lol I'll be back once it gets closer to Christmas. :D

I hope all is well with you. :)

Anne

BTW, didn't mean to threadjack about Biscuit. Thanks for including him in the discussion.

No threadjacking at all! I love both of them and if my credit card and DH will allow, I'll probably get both! :eyepoppin I just have to make sure if I get large toys I hold off on all the smaller ones, even if they are good deals!

I am thinking the same thing. My DD may end up with a couple/few toys this year instead of a bunch of smaller ones. I know she will love Biscuit. They also have a smaller Furreal puppy that rolls around, etc.

Last year was obcene how much I bought for all of the kids on my list. I don't want to repeat that, even if/when I find good deals. I'm definitely cutting back this year.

• 2 weeks later...
Remember to keep an eye out for the toys at Target when their toys go on clearence after Christmas. They had Butterscotch for $69.98 at the store near me. I know the toys go on clearence two weeks to a month after Christmas, but if you are unable to buy the toy at full price, maybe you can get it then for your little one. That way they can have their pony, pup or dinosaur without breaking the bank.

Remember to keep an eye out for the toys at Target when their toys go on clearence after Christmas. They had Butterscotch for $69.98 at the store near me. I know the toys go on clearence two weeks to a month after Christmas, but if you are unable to buy the toy at full price, maybe you can get it then for your little one. That way they can have their pony, pup or dinosaur without breaking the bank.

thanks - wow - that is awesome - I'd be doing a major happy dance if I ever found one at that price! My Target for some reason never stocks many of the bigger items though, but we'll see!

As an aside, I wanted to note that I just went to BJs and they do carry that Biscuit Furreal dog for $150 in store, which saves you the $10 shipping from bjs.com. You can get a one day guest pass if you are not a member. Everywhere else I have looked Biscuit is about $20-30 more...

Thanks for the information, Cokemeyer. There is not a BJ's in AZ. I know it's around $170.00 at Target. I'm watching prices and am interested to see what happens right around BF. I won't wait much longer that. I trusted my gut with Butterscotch and S'Mores last year and bought them on BF. I didn't find any better deal after that.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks! I hadn't seen that site yet. I am still debating it! I showed DS pics of all 3 of the hot dino toys this year - D-Rex, Spike the Ultradinosaur, and Kota, and he seems to lean towards the smaller ones that move more, but they are also quite expensive and I can't help think that if I'm going to spend that much anyway, why not get Kota, which is something really special that he doesn't have anything like already... hmmmm, what to do! Probably I shouldn't spend any money on toys this year at all, but of course I will!

• 1 month later...
I decided to purchase this dinosaur for my four year old son. We ordered it from Wal-Mart last week at $199 plus free shipping. I'm so excited because we have seen it in the stores and he loves it!! He is really into dinosaurs this year and just got Spike for his fourth birthday in september, but he's terrified of it!! I think this will be a real hit on Christmas, since this is all he's asked Santa for!!

To those who have Butterscotch or Smores... how old are your children?

My 5 year old and 6.5 year old (both girls) have been nagging me about the pony since they started selling Butterscotch. I just wonder how much use the 6.5 year old will get out of it... seems like a lot of money for a robotic stuffie!