Best Buy and Circuit City computer bundles

I was planning on buying a desktop separately from the monitor and printer. However some stores such as BB and CC have bundle deals that seem like they may be worth the extra money. I was wondering if the printers and monitors that are typically sold in these bundle packages are of good quality and will last a long time or is it better to buy each item separately? I'm interested in an HP desktop.

Typically, inexpensive bundles are comprised of inexpensive components, but these printers and monitors are something of a commodity these days, so an inexpensive printer or monitor may do the trick for you...especially if they are bundled at or near $0.

Dell, for instance, bundles a lower quality monitor. You can upgrade to a noticeably better monitor, but if you never saw the nicer monitor, you'd probably be happy with the bundled one.

In some cases, the deficiencies will be apparent and unacceptable -- maybe you don't want a 17" lcd or a CRT. I wouldn't take something I didn't want -- not even for free.

• 1 month later...