Please help me spec out a desktop for my sis

My sister wants a new desktop for her and the bro-n-law for websurfing, email, etc. They currently have a 10 yr old gateway - :gd_stars: - so I know anything will be an improvement. I was looking at dell because their limit is around $500. Here's what I have so far:

Dimension 2400 Series

Intel® Celeron® Processor (2.40GHz, 400 FSB)

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

FREE Dell Color Printer 720!

SAVE $60 (after rebate) 4Yr Ltd Warranty,At-Home Srvc + Nights and Weekend

--because they are not pc literate and too far away for me to look at it

512MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz

40GB Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive

Single Drive: 48X CD-ROM Drive

17 inch E773 (16 inch viewable) Conventional CRT

No speakers

$498 with free shipping.

The emphasis is low cost. I know I could reduce the cost with less ram but I think in the long run it will be worth it and that goes for the 4yr warranty also. I'm wondering if yall think a 2 or 3 yr warranty would suffice? Also, I realize the 20% off and free shipping ends today.

Thanks for any advice/ideas/suggestions. :)

If you're ok with waiting a few weeks to get a BETTER machine for LESS money, then I would wait.

I've seen Dell Outrageous Deals with Dimension 3000 & 17" CRT for $349 after rebate.

If your sister lives close, just get the standard 1 year warranty. Dell uses almost all standard hardware in their computers, so they are easy to replace. Remember to pay for it with your credit card which gives you another 1 year free warranty.

If you're ok with waiting a few weeks to get a BETTER machine for LESS money, then I would wait.

I've seen Dell Outrageous Deals with Dimension 3000 & 17" CRT for $349 after rebate.

Ok, I'll see if she can wait.

If your sister lives close, just get the standard 1 year warranty. Dell uses almost all standard hardware in their computers, so they are easy to replace.

SAVE $60 (after rebate) 4Yr Ltd Warranty,At-Home Srvc + Nights and Weekend

--because they are not pc literate and too far away for me to look atit.

:rolleyes:

Yes, I remembered the visa warranty extension. Thanks for bringing it up.

I would wait like Ross said...you can get a P4 system and LCD for $500.

True but that doesn't include a comprehensive 4 year on site warranty.

If they have basic needs I would go ahead and buy that Dell 2400 & 17" CRT. At least it's 4 years ON SITE warranty. Who knows, maybe in 3 years the PC will break and they'll uprade it to a newer model for free :) :greenappl

Since you're purchasing the monitor at the same time, the warranty should cover that as well.