How to get the best deal on a used vehicle?

I really don't want a new used car, but almost have to get one. Right now, I have a 1999 Chevy Cavalier and LOVE my car. I've had it for almost 4 years and it is SOOO dependable, but with 4 kids it's just almost not possible to keep this car anymore. Anytime we want to go somewhere as a family, we have to take both vehicles. I have been looking a pacifica (I fell in love with them the moment I seen them), and found a 2006 Pacifica Touring for $13,700. It is a very nice vehicle, with 37,000 ish miles on it. I just want the best deal, so is it possible to negotiate a price with a car salesman, or am I just dreaming?

I would say you can negotiate with a car salesperson, Especially if it is at a auto sales place. If its' a personal seller, probably not as much luck, but some will waver a little downwards on the price.

Are you going to trade in your 99? If so figure trade in value.

I wish you luck! You CAN do it, it's a PITA to haggle a price, but worth it in the end. :)

Make sure to do your research. Price both your vehicle if you are trading, and the one you wish to purchase at Edmunds.com, etc. Make sure you know the value. Bring the print outs with you. Negotiate everything separatly, and DO NOT tell them what you want to pay. Don't allow them to know you LOVE the pacifica, as if they know you love it, they know they have you. Finally, don't buy the junk they try to add on, ie warranty, tire coverage, etc, as it is a rip off, and you can purchase those things if you want them for much less money on the internet, even the warranty, from a reputable dealer, if you research it. And finally, be prepared to walk away. It speaks VOLUMES to the salesman when your feet head to the door. :) Also, if you are trading the Cavalier, do you have a CarMax near you? I got about 2k more than the dealer was offering for the car I was going to trade from CarMax.

Good Luck and enjoy your new roomier ride. :)

Look up the price of the car you want to buy at nada.com and kbb.com and see what they say it's worth. DO NOT trade in your old car to a car dealer. You can sell it yourself for more money than they will pay you! And it's really not that hard. You can look it up on those sites too and get an idea of how much to sell it for.

I think right now is the best time to negotiate a good deal on anything bigger than a little car. Dealerships are having soooo much trouble moving cars for bigger families off the lots. IMO I think you could get that price down closer to $10K.

We were going to wait a couple of years to buy a new car for us but we're thinking fall might be a good time.

• 2 weeks later...

do not trade your car in. or take it to them and ask them how much they would give u as a purchase not a trade in. i would sell it out right. as for buying u have room to negot. we take cars in lets say going rate is 3000 on top of what we purchased it for.

so think of that room u have to negot. most places want a sale and need to make something . so depending on what the store is doing that month is your best guess. now on another note best time to buy is the last day of the month. they need to hit there goal and sell so they usally will make most great deals that day. hope that helps.