Buying a New Truck Question

My dad is looking to buy a new 4x4 truck, either Chevy or Ford. With the price of gas these days we've been hearing you should be able to get a good deal on a gas guzzler. He also can get employee discount (or dealer discount which ever is the best deal) through his employer. Well he went to a Chevy dealer the other day and they only wanted to give him $1200 off the MSRP. This seemed kinda low to me cause we bought an Equinox last year BEFORE gas prices skyrocketed and they gave us around $4000 off of it then. So here's my question:

How much of a discount off of MSRP should he be able to get?

By the way, there's no trade in.

There is a much smaller margin for mark up on new cars than on used cars. That being said, you should still be able to get at least $2000 off sticker. Especially since there is no trade. And don't let them give you the invoice excuse. Here is the invoice, this is the best I can do. That's bull. You need to ask, what about hold back? That is the extra $1500-$2000 that a dealer gets paid by the manufacturer and has nothing to do with the invoice price. And on a personal note, buy the Ford!

Our last truck was a left over brand new loaded to include a sunroom.

We got it Labor Day weekend. Got 9000 off.But found the deal online. the guy at the dealer ship didnt realize they were offering so many incentives for it.

So try that route of searchin online.

D

I always do a google search for "...car... otd price". Look for the Edmunds towntalk website forum link, which shows how much people paid, out the door, for their new vehicles. It's a great way to research the going prices.

If you are a member of Costco, they have dealerships that they are affiliated with and have preset prices with them. I got my Toyota that way---no haggling and a very good deal. However, be certain to contact Costco first and find the dealerships they deal with. Some dealers in my area claimed they were members of the Costco buyers program and gave me a random "Costo" price. I then asked for the Costco invoice which they couldn't produce---car salesmen, YUCK!!!

We don't have a Costco anywhere close I don't even know where the closest one is

AAA has the very same program....We purchased our SUV via AAA last year...It was all pre arranged...All we had to do was sign the papers when we got there...Also you will meet with the fleet manager and not the sleezy car salesmen....The only catch is you have to contact Cosco or AAA first and get the list of dealers they work with...They will have a list of new Car Dealers & Used Car dealers...

We also purchased our Honda Hybrid through this program..They were able to find a dealer selling them at MSRP..Since most dealers in Cali were selling them over MSRP...Dealers were taking advangtage of hybrid buyers because of the Cali law that allows you to ride in the carpool lane...

My coworker just bought a new Dodge this weekend and said he did not even have to negotiate. It was down in Roseville, CA, and the sticker was over $30k and he paid $15k. Club cab, almost fully loaded. He said they had four in the paper at that price and there are deals for trucks all over the place. 50% off! No haggling! The deals have to be there!

I bought a 08 Dodge Caravan in November. My Dad is an employee of Delphi (or whatever it is now) and we got the employee discount. I got $4000 off MSRP. They had to show me a copy of the invoice with the price on it. That's the way they did it. So $1200 sounds a little low.

BTW, mine was not fully loaded but not the low end. It was right in the middle. It had everything we wanted. I don't know if the options make a difference.