$399 laptop @ BB - why wait until Black Friday?

RossMAN

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/images/products/8780/8780081_rb.jpg

Compaq $399 laptop

Check in-store availability.

Specs:

• Intel Pentium Dual-Core mobile processor T2370
  • 1GB DDR2 memory, expandable to 2GB
  • Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW
  • 15.4" WXGA high-definition LCD
  • 160GB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
  • 6-cell lithium-ion battery and AC adapter
  • Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

How do I check my local BB's inventory without calling them or driving there? Enter your zip code

Is this hot? Yes

Why is this such a hot deal? It's available today, no waiting in line for 12 hours and no rebate hassles!

Does this have built-in wireless internet (WiFi)? Yes

Does this have a DVD Burner? Yes

Should you wait until Black Friday? Only if you want to wait in line for 12 hours to save about $70.

Edited by RossMAN

Actually we bought a Toshiba notebook w/only 1 GB of mem running on Vista. EVERYTHING ran fine for us until we were trying to do Office Documents. It was slow opening Office and saving files, switching between files, etc. Honestly other than that I think the 1GB was fine for our typical home usage... email, pictures, Internet.

My brother bought us new memory for our Christmas gift from NewEgg (2GB runs about $25 on sale AR at Fry's and Newegg.com typically) and it fixed all the Office problems.

so it's still a great deal at $399, and if you find it running a bit slow for what you want, go onto newegg.com and get more memory :D

Same one that I just bought for $419 and without triple rewards :razz:

anybody know offhand if they will price adjust for a previous sale (a week ago)?

Sorry, I didn't see the post above, I didn't have to go in, I called and they will credit my credit card $21.65 including tax :)

And for what I use it for it has been great!! I can sit on the deck and go online while my children swim. I bring it with and type letters when I sit there during my kids to their classes/camps/lessons. I love it!

And I will look for some RAM for it on BF.

Edited by Rockfordmom

All,

Beachfront is right about the "power" of this computer. It will be a dog with Vista. The price is good. If you purchase it I strongly recommend that you run XP on it. Add another gig of RAM and install XP and you will be fine. Vista is a disaster.

All,

Beachfront is right about the "power" of this computer. It will be a dog with Vista. The price is good. If you purchase it I strongly recommend that you run XP on it. Add another gig of RAM and install XP and you will be fine. Vista is a disaster.

Is it possible to get XP without paying $200 for it?

You're correct it's a great deal, that's why I posted it :cheesy:

What kind of "power" do you expect for only $399? :tongue1:

This is an excellent deal for this laptop. I purchased one a few months back and shelled out an extra 40 bucks from buy.com to expand the memory to 2 GB.

Sorry to say I missed out on this deal, though I gave it one heck of a shot. Looking at the store locator page showing which of my area BB had it in stock I found six stores within an acceptable driving distance. I went to four of these stores (driving miles and miles in 100 degree heat) and they said they were all out of stock. No other stores were willing to transfer one in even though the store in Laredo showed they had 55 units. When I explained to each of these stores that it was showing online that they had the computer in stock, they said they had no control over that. I went home and checked again on the store locator site and there were still 6 stores showing they were in stock. I called the BB customer service line and explained my dilemma to 3 different CSR's over a period of over one hour. I was given many different stories and explanations as to what was happening, and was told that they would make sure the problem was corrected immediately so no other customers would be put in my situation of driving around town and being frustrated. They asked what they could do for me and I explained the least they could do was offer a rain check for when they get the next shipment in, which one store manager told me was due shortly AFTER the sale was over. Well that is not their policy. One CSR said that the computer was not even in the sale flyer and I would have to prove to him it was before he would help me any further. This morning I check the store locator and guess what? The same six locations are still showing that the computer is available. This is not right. I plan to write a letter and enclose the computer print out dated today which shows the computer is currently available. Any suggestions on who to send it to? Thanks for the deal Rossman and I promise the next one you post I will jump on sooner, just thought I had ample time since there were still so many available.

Rossman, Is it possible that the link, for the store availability, you put in for the laptop is for another compaq presario laptop that the stores do have in stock??? Since this link does not specifically give a model number, thinking maybe that is the problem in showing the item is still in stock. Edited by vicloo
sp

Sorry to say I missed out on this deal, though I gave it one heck of a shot. Looking at the store locator page showing which of my area BB had it in stock I found six stores within an acceptable driving distance. I went to four of these stores (driving miles and miles in 100 degree heat) and they said they were all out of stock. No other stores were willing to transfer one in even though the store in Laredo showed they had 55 units. When I explained to each of these stores that it was showing online that they had the computer in stock, they said they had no control over that. I went home and checked again on the store locator site and there were still 6 stores showing they were in stock. I called the BB customer service line and explained my dilemma to 3 different CSR's over a period of over one hour. I was given many different stories and explanations as to what was happening, and was told that they would make sure the problem was corrected immediately so no other customers would be put in my situation of driving around town and being frustrated. They asked what they could do for me and I explained the least they could do was offer a rain check for when they get the next shipment in, which one store manager told me was due shortly AFTER the sale was over. Well that is not their policy. One CSR said that the computer was not even in the sale flyer and I would have to prove to him it was before he would help me any further. This morning I check the store locator and guess what? The same six locations are still showing that the computer is available. This is not right. I plan to write a letter and enclose the computer print out dated today which shows the computer is currently available. Any suggestions on who to send it to? Thanks for the deal Rossman and I promise the next one you post I will jump on sooner, just thought I had ample time since there were still so many available.

Couldn't you purchase it online and pick up at store instead of having them ship it?

That's what I did.

Couldn't you purchase it online and pick up at store instead of having them ship it?

That's what I did.

I wish, that would be too easy.... Not available on line though, and even customer service tried to get it online for me and couldn't.

Same one that I just bought for $419 and without triple rewards :razz:

anybody know offhand if they will price adjust for a previous sale (a week ago)?

Sorry, I didn't see the post above, I didn't have to go in, I called and they will credit my credit card $21.65 including tax :)

And for what I use it for it has been great!! I can sit on the deck and go online while my children swim. I bring it with and type letters when I sit there during my kids to their classes/camps/lessons. I love it!

And I will look for some RAM for it on BF.

I got this laptop too and like it. The box had a 10% accessories coupon. It was around $50 for 2 GB RAM - BB had it on sale. I could have gotten a better deal on the RAM, I just couldn't wait.

Thank you RossMAN for the new price information. :)

One CSR said that the computer was not even in the sale flyer and I would have to prove to him it was before he would help me any further.

If you live in San Antonio, there's a Best Buy in 1604 and Alamo Ranch, they had it in stock when I last checked on Monday, and it IS on their flyer. Tell them it's on page 22 of their weekly ad. Kudos to you for driving around in this heat!