Vonage Promotion

hobbledegaagaa

Also check out magicjack (magiicjackcom) for free local, long distance and international calls only $20.00 a year per line first year $40.00 ($20.00 for year of service and $20.00 for equipment) 2008 PC magazine product of the year. I have had it for 2 months and love it.. Give it a try for free for 30 days, if you don't like it send it back. Had vonage..never again will I have vonage. :)

anyone mind sharing why you dont like vonage? Is it just that the MagicKJack is now cheaper or have you had trouble with them

I've had Vonage for more than 3 years now. It did take a while to get used to, but for the price and free long distance, free voice mail, etc, it is a steal for me.

You do have to reboot it every few weeks or you won't be able to use your phone. (Sometimes I turn the phone on and there's no dial tone, so I have to reboot then.) Kinda of a pain, but still worth it for the money I save.

I just ordered magicjack and I have not received it yet. From what I understand you pay

$20 a year for all calls and all the extras are free. Long distance is free and unlimited as

is caller id etc etc.

There does not seem to be a catch..so I am in for the $20 free trial...they don't even charge

your credit card until the 31st day. I am going to try it and see how it is.

But if it truly is only $20 a year...that is an amazing deal :fluffy:

i HAVE THE MAGIC JACK just started but my daughter says its great. shes had it a few weeks. Couldnt get a local area code yet but can change it once its available. I live in Indiana and will have an ohio area code. Go figger! You have the option of getting a second yr for 20.00 too. I figure the govt will get it after that since we arent paying any of those taxes they slap on there!

so if your # isnt local wouldnt kids have trouble calling from school? We ran into this with one of our cell phones that is a prepaid and gave us a PA area code. It was long distance for all our local friends and family and the school and DH works had all kinds of issues as not everyone can call out and have it be a long distance #

so if your # isnt local wouldnt kids have trouble calling from school? We ran into this with one of our cell phones that is a prepaid and gave us a PA area code. It was long distance for all our local friends and family and the school and DH works had all kinds of issues as not everyone can call out and have it be a long distance #

Yes, that is why my mom opted to not get Vonage originally. But now they have local numbers nearly everywhere. I actually kept my Mississippi number and added a Georgia number for $4.99 a month so that my friends and family in MS can still call me for free even though I am in GA.

I will also be taking my Vonage with me to the Netherlands so everyone can still call me like normal when i get there. :) I love Vonage I have had them for a few years now and have had no problems.

I don't have either of these phones but I have a TX area code and I live in AZ. The school has no problems calling me, trust me...lol! I think with long distance being so cheap nowadays and with cell phones it's become easier. Since we are military and move so much it's hard to change cell phone numbers everywhere we go.

when we looked at all the VOIP we went with vonage as well for this reason...after the hassle with the cell phone i did NOT want a # that wasn't local...The whole I am saving money but costing everyone else more thing LOL With vonage it also *fixed* the cell issue as if you call my house i have it set to dual ring to cell so now they just call 1 (local)# and reach me regardless of being home or out

Our school is set so only secretaries can call long distance so when either daughter or teacher would try from class it wouldn't work. Same with DH work...cant place long distance calls so he couldn't call me on my cell...Was a big ole pain in the patootie

when we looked at all the VOIP we went with vonage as well for this reason...after the hassle with the cell phone i did NOT want a # that wasn't local...The whole I am saving money but costing everyone else more thing LOL With vonage it also *fixed* the cell issue as if you call my house i have it set to dual ring to cell so now they just call 1 (local)# and reach me regardless of being home or out

Yep I have the simulring as well. I activated it when my DH went to Iraq. That way if he calls he only has to call one number and gets me wherever I am.

How do you get the $20 deal with Magicjack? I entered in all my info and it said on the 31st day you will be charged $39.95 plus $6.95 s&h.

You have to pay for the equipment which is $20 and the first year of service is $20.

Like I said I will give it a try and see..but IF it truly is $20/yr that is amazing:eek:

I went to their website about the area codes and you can pretty much pick your own.

Some states are pending...Mass is already available now :)

I must say their customer service chat line is very helpful and very quick. So far so good

I went to their website about the area codes and you can pretty much pick your own.

Some states are pending...Mass is already available now :)

I must say their customer service chat line is very helpful and very quick. So far so good

PS

This is for Magic Jack and not Vonage..sorry if off topic

• 4 months later...

I ordered MagicJack, only to discover they didn't have a local prefix for my area code. I sent it back. I inquired today to see if they had a local prefix # for my area code and.... Well here is how that went.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Alma'

Alma: Hello, how may I help you?

Jerry: Do you have prefix #'s 533 or 534 for area code 530 yet? Or any local prefix for Oroville Ca.?

Alma: Thank you for raising your concern, let me assist you with that.

Alma: Available Area Codes

Alma: URL

Alma: ok ,please visit this link,Jerry/

Alma: Jerry.

Jerry: It is not the area code I am concerned about. It is the prefix within that area code. The reason I am concerned about that is that I can't truely replace my existing phone if you don't have a local prefix.

Alma: i see.

Alma: please check that one to your MJ URL,Bill?

Alma: then please let me know if you are done ok?

Jerry: I sent my MJ back because you had my area code (530) but you didn't have a local prefix for Oroville. I am inquireing again to see if that has been rectified!

Jerry: I would like to try it again, but not unless the local prefix problem has been solved!

Jerry: Are you there?

Alma: yes i do apologize for the inconvenience,Bill.

Jerry: Jerry

Alma: im checking that information for you.

Alma: ok im sorry Jerry.

Jerry: Not a problem, I'm confused half the time myself.

Alma: ok i will help you and never leave you untill that problem resolve.

Jerry: OK

Jerry: 532,533,534,538,&589 are the local prefix #'s for Oroville.

Alma: may i know please where is that Oroville?

Jerry: California

Jerry: Right now it appears you only have local prefix #'s for Marysville Ca which is a toll call from Oroville Ca.

Alma: we have available area code 530 but the prefix is 402 woodland.

Jerry: Yes I know. But that too is a toll call.

Jerry: Without a local prefix, MJ is only good to me for long distance. And every one calling me from Oroville Ca. would have to pay a toll.

Alma: One moment please...

You are not currently in a chat session.

Any comment?

I've had Vonage for more than 3 years now. It did take a while to get used to, but for the price and free long distance, free voice mail, etc, it is a steal for me.

You do have to reboot it every few weeks or you won't be able to use your phone. (Sometimes I turn the phone on and there's no dial tone, so I have to reboot then.) Kinda of a pain, but still worth it for the money I save.

So if you didn't notice then no one would be able to call you either until you remembered to reboot?

I ordered MagicJack, only to discover they didn't have a local prefix for my area code. I sent it back. I inquired today to see if they had a local prefix # for my area code and.... Well here is how that went.

Please wait for a site operator to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Alma'

Alma: Hello, how may I help you?

Jerry: Do you have prefix #'s 533 or 534 for area code 530 yet? Or any local prefix for Oroville Ca.?

Alma: Thank you for raising your concern, let me assist you with that.

Alma: Available Area Codes

Alma: URL

Alma: ok ,please visit this link,Jerry/

Alma: Jerry.

Jerry: It is not the area code I am concerned about. It is the prefix within that area code. The reason I am concerned about that is that I can't truely replace my existing phone if you don't have a local prefix.

Alma: i see.

Alma: please check that one to your MJ URL,Bill?

Alma: then please let me know if you are done ok?

Jerry: I sent my MJ back because you had my area code (530) but you didn't have a local prefix for Oroville. I am inquireing again to see if that has been rectified!

Jerry: I would like to try it again, but not unless the local prefix problem has been solved!

Jerry: Are you there?

Alma: yes i do apologize for the inconvenience,Bill.

Jerry: Jerry

Alma: im checking that information for you.

Alma: ok im sorry Jerry.

Jerry: Not a problem, I'm confused half the time myself.

Alma: ok i will help you and never leave you untill that problem resolve.

Jerry: OK

Jerry: 532,533,534,538,&589 are the local prefix #'s for Oroville.

Alma: may i know please where is that Oroville?

Jerry: California

Jerry: Right now it appears you only have local prefix #'s for Marysville Ca which is a toll call from Oroville Ca.

Alma: we have available area code 530 but the prefix is 402 woodland.

Jerry: Yes I know. But that too is a toll call.

Jerry: Without a local prefix, MJ is only good to me for long distance. And every one calling me from Oroville Ca. would have to pay a toll.

Any comment?

:cheesy: This sounds like my talks with Verizon today...what a waste of time. :cool:

I haven't read much good about MagicJack yet and I believe there's a "don't get Magic Jack" thread on GD somewhere.

I've wanted to try Vonage, but when I called for their free trial, they said I had to disconnect my current phone service to be able to use it. I didn't want to disconnect my regular phone service in case I needed to go back to it...without having to pay a re-connect fee later. Figured since the Vonage was using my Broadband, it wouldn't affect my regular line, but I guess I had that wrong. :shock:

:cheesy: This sounds like my talks with Verizon today...what a waste of time. :cool:

I haven't read much good about MagicJack yet and I believe there's a "don't get Magic Jack" thread on GD somewhere.

I've wanted to try Vonage, but when I called for their free trial, they said I had to disconnect my current phone service to be able to use it. I didn't want to disconnect my regular phone service in case I needed to go back to it...without having to pay a re-connect fee later. Figured since the Vonage was using my Broadband, it wouldn't affect my regular line, but I guess I had that wrong. :shock:

The only way you would have to disconnect your regular service is if you wanted to keep the same number. You can't have both the vonage and your regular landline the same phone # at the same time. I have both a landline and vonage and have never had any issues. I think there was a misunderstanding between you and the customer service rep.