Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

10/100 Network

802.11b/g Wireless Network

14.1" WXGA CrystalBrite Display

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0279267

Edited by freesia39
add store name to title

I would exercise caution here. There's absolutely no way Vista will run smoothly on this laptop. Processor is outdated and Vista needs at least 2GB of RAM not to frustrate you constantly with the right processor. On 512MB your tasks would run very slowly, if the system doesn't lock up on you altogether. If this had a dual-core processor it would be a great deal, although you'd still have to buy more RAM imho.

I bought my son an Acer at CompUsa for Christmas and couldn't be happier. True, 512 MB isn't enough memory, but I paid $19.99 for 1 GB (total of 1.5 GB after very simple installation) and Vista has run flawlessly.

I guess it kind of depends on what you're buying the computer for, but for normal use, I think it's a great deal. Acer isn't a name brand, but it's probably made with most of the same components as name brands. Go for it!

when it comes to computers is acer considered a good brand?

I've never owned an Acer or worked on Acers. My company used to have a contract with Toshiba (and we had lots of problems with those), but now we deal with Compaqs.

I bought my son an Acer at CompUsa for Christmas and couldn't be happier. True, 512 MB isn't enough memory, but I paid $19.99 for 1 GB (total of 1.5 GB after very simple installation) and Vista has run flawlessly.

I guess it kind of depends on what you're buying the computer for, but for normal use, I think it's a great deal. Acer isn't a name brand, but it's probably made with most of the same components as name brands. Go for it!

Interesting. What kind of processor does yours have? And is it running Vista Basic or Premium? Microsoft itself recommends a dual-core processor and a minimum of 2GB to run Vista Premium. It also depends on what you deem normal use. If you want to run Vista and perform more than one task at a time, the specs on the PC in the OP won't cut it. And some software are resource hogs (I like to take pictures, and Photoshop comes to mind immediately). But you're right. RAM is pretty cheap these days. If the processor wasn't outdated, I would say go ahead and buy it and add more RAM. But the fact of the matter is that Celeron processors are pretty much obsolete, especially now that quad-core processors are out already. For my money, I'd pay an extra $100-$150 or so for a better processor. This will keep you from being forced to upgrade in the next couple of years. You can always add RAM, you can buy a larger hard drive or use an external one. But to upgrade a processor you might as well buy a whole new machine.

I have an Acer, dvd/cd burner 1GB. I got it BF of 06 and love it! I use it everyday for school and playing around online. I haven't had any problems with mine. I run Windows Office (I think that's what it's called).

Ok, I have XP! LOL Duh!

Edited by Booterbunz

I have an Acer, dvd/cd burner 1GB. I got it BF of 06 and love it! I use it everyday for school and playing around online. I haven't had any problems with mine. I run Windows Office (I think that's what it's called).

I believe most of the ones offered on BF '06 were running WinXP. XP would run fine with the specs in the OP, but I wouldn't recommend running Vista with those specs.

Acer is a good brand. Mine runs on XP and I haven't had any problems with it. IMO, it's a good starter laptop for students and non-gamers.

I'm looking for a computer for DD's room. Just something basic where she can do her homework and talk to her friends on Meez. We have a Gateway and a HP already but I've never heard of Acer before. Thanks for the info guys.

I've never owned an Acer or worked on Acers. My company used to have a contract with Toshiba (and we had lots of problems with those), but now we deal with Compaqs.

Interesting. What kind of processor does yours have? And is it running Vista Basic or Premium? Microsoft itself recommends a dual-core processor and a minimum of 2GB to run Vista Premium. It also depends on what you deem normal use. If you want to run Vista and perform more than one task at a time, the specs on the PC in the OP won't cut it. And some software are resource hogs (I like to take pictures, and Photoshop comes to mind immediately). But you're right. RAM is pretty cheap these days. If the processor wasn't outdated, I would say go ahead and buy it and add more RAM. But the fact of the matter is that Celeron processors are pretty much obsolete, especially now that quad-core processors are out already. For my money, I'd pay an extra $100-$150 or so for a better processor. This will keep you from being forced to upgrade in the next couple of years. You can always add RAM, you can buy a larger hard drive or use an external one. But to upgrade a processor you might as well buy a whole new machine.

Right. Everything you said is very interesting. I bought a computer 3 year ago with a slow processor ( AMD Sempron 3000 ), I don't know much about computer at that time and I bought it because it's the cheapest. After one year, the computer ran very slowly, although I only searched the internet, checked mails, downloaded picstures and never played games. I upgraded a lot (RAM, hard drive...) with lot of money, but it didn't get better. I'm tired of it, and was forced to buy a new one with Intel Core 2 Duo processor ( the newest processor at that time) , and the price is three times more than the old one, and now over one year it still run very fast and I don't need to upgrade anything. The quad-core processor is coming now, if anyone has a chance to use it, he will learn the difference between Celeron and Quad-core processor.In conlusion, in my opinion, spend more money to buy a better computer with better processor. Otherwise, someone will regret because he spent a lot of money to upgrade and it won't last better. :cheesy:

First Vista dont need 2GB of memory. Now 2 GB will help if you dual processor and is running 5-6 programs at once. Anyone buying this laptop will most likely but doing only basic things on it, like word processing, mail and internet. So the processor is fine for that. 512 is too little but it can upgraded very cheap to 1GB+ and that will run everything fine.

Remember this is a very very cheap laptop and if you think you going to be able to do film editing and while burning a dvd then your mistaken. But if you need a basic system (90% of people) then this will work.

The posts so far have been both positive and negative, that I'm now unsure about getting it. Maybe I should just stick with the higher end brands that I know. Time to maybe look into getting a dell for DD.

If you're looking for a Dell, this one is a good deal. For 399.00, shipping is included. You also have the option of getting either Vista or XP. If you get Vista, make sure you go for the bigger memory size. Otherwise, it should run okay on XP for the cheapest price.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...b%3Dbundlestab

First Vista dont need 2GB of memory. Now 2 GB will help if you dual processor and is running 5-6 programs at once. Anyone buying this laptop will most likely but doing only basic things on it, like word processing, mail and internet. So the processor is fine for that. 512 is too little but it can upgraded very cheap to 1GB+ and that will run everything fine.

Remember this is a very very cheap laptop and if you think you going to be able to do film editing and while burning a dvd then your mistaken. But if you need a basic system (90% of people) then this will work.

Vista basic doesn't require 2GB, but if you're going to multi-task (and most people I know do want to do something else while they're waiting for their dvd to burn or while they're waiting for a download or an install to finish) I would definitely recommend it. You will definitely be locking up if you are running Vista (even Basic) with 512MB on a Celeron.

I bought a Toshiba for $399 at BB a few weeks ago with Vista and 1G and LOVE IT !!! Be careful with Acer, my inlaws have had issues with their desktop that is Acer.

LOL. And I've experienced all kinds of problems with Toshiba. Both at home and on the job. I think sometimes a little luck is involved. You can also do a web search for your model (especially if it's an older model) to see what the common problems are.

If you're looking for a Dell, this one is a good deal. For 399.00, shipping is included. You also have the option of getting either Vista or XP. If you get Vista, make sure you go for the bigger memory size. Otherwise, it should run okay on XP for the cheapest price.

http://www.dell.com/content/products...b%3Dbundlestab

The link didn't work for me, but if you mean the Vostro 1000 you are right. This is a good deal, especially if you want to run XP.

The link didn't work for me, but if you mean the Vostro 1000 you are right. This is a good deal, especially if you want to run XP.

Didn't work for me either, but I did see a Dell Vostro 1500 for $549 ($849), a limited time offer. Comes with 2GB Memory, Core 2 Duo Processor, Windows XP and 250GB Hard Drive. Is this one a better deal?

Dell Vostro 1500