Substitution for a discontinued product?

There is a particular hair care product I fell in love with 3 years ago. It literally debuted on everyone's "clearance rack." After I discovered I loved it, I bought all I could find. When that ran out, I turned to ebay. I am going to run out in about a week. :eyepoppin Considering that the product was discontinued over 3 years ago, that means anything I could possibly find today would be over 3 years old.

So, my question is, does anyone have a source for a product comparison website? Or a "If you like this, you will like this" kind of a site? I stumbled across one about a year ago and now I can not find it again. I have Googled until I am blue in the face and can not find it.

It has become rather costly to just buy something and try it. I have a cupboard full of that, now and so far, have not found anything I like!

The product in question was Dove Defined Texture Molding Cream. I even emailed Dove to see if they had a stockpile in a warehouse somewhere. No luck.....

Any help would be appreciated.

and that is listed under

Home > Specialty Stores > New Items > Hair Care > Dove Molding Cream Defined Texture - 2.25 OZ

Yes, I have found it on a few web sites, but as I said in the OP, anything out there would have been manufactured over 3 years ago and I do not trust that the product would still be good after that long. Dove themselves told me this was disco 3 yeras ago. Thanks for responding, tho!:)

Have you tried to compare ingredients? My dh uses a similar product and when his favorite was disco'ed, we also tried many before he found one he liked.

Before I bought, I always compared ingredients and where they were in the list. Closer to what his preferred was, the closer he liked it.

We have ended up with the white version of Pantenes pomade. There is also an orange one. He prefers the white however.

Have you tried to compare ingredients? My dh uses a similar product and when his favorite was disco'ed, we also tried many before he found one he liked.

Before I bought, I always compared ingredients and where they were in the list. Closer to what his preferred was, the closer he liked it.

We have ended up with the white version of Pantenes pomade. There is also an orange one. He prefers the white however.

Yup, I took the ingredient list from the box to Wal Mart today. Found SOME of the same ingredients in others, but not in the same order and the consistency was different.

Yup, I took the ingredient list from the box to Wal Mart today. Found SOME of the same ingredients in others, but not in the same order and the consistency was different.

Keep looking then. We actually went to a high end Salon brand for a while because we could not find one cheaper that was similar. The only good thing about the Salon one is that it lasts forever! A little did a lot.

Did your stylist have any suggestions? Usually they try so many products they can tell you what is similar....

My suggestion is to try Sally's Beauty Supply store. They will allow you to return an item if you don't like it. That way you could at least try some things without having to spend a lot of money. Some of the rite-aid, walgreens types may allow you to do the same thing.. i know they do in the cosmetics, but not sure about other stuff. Worth a try!

Keep looking then. We actually went to a high end Salon brand for a while because we could not find one cheaper that was similar. The only good thing about the Salon one is that it lasts forever! A little did a lot.

Did your stylist have any suggestions? Usually they try so many products they can tell you what is similar....

My "stylist?" :P What is that? I have been cutting my own hair for about 10 years. I got sick of paying 20 bucks for a haircut and forced myself to learn how to do it myself?

My suggestion is to try Sally's Beauty Supply store. They will allow you to return an item if you don't like it. That way you could at least try some things without having to spend a lot of money. Some of the rite-aid, walgreens types may allow you to do the same thing.. i know they do in the cosmetics, but not sure about other stuff. Worth a try!

This sounds like a good idea. If I take in the ingredient list from the Dove stuff, maybe they can match something up for me. I did not know they let you return an unliked item! That is a good thing.

Thanks to EVERYONE who has responded, it has been a big help! I knew I could count on the GottaDealers! :D

My "stylist?" :P What is that? I have been cutting my own hair for about 10 years. I got sick of paying 20 bucks for a haircut and forced myself to learn how to do it myself?

Yep, you've been cutting your hair for awhile I'd love to get a cut for $20! LOL

Good luck finding something you like I am still on the search!

You can try Makeupalley.com they have product reviews, forums, etc. they have divided it into hair, nails, makeup, fragrance, etc. You may have to join to get access to all the info. There's also a swap board too. They have lots of info and someone might be able to direct you to a similar product.

Yep, you've been cutting your hair for awhile I'd love to get a cut for $20! LOL

Good luck finding something you like I am still on the search!

You mean it's MORE than 20 bucks?!?!?!?!?!:eyepoppin

Crazy. I cut DH's hair, too. I don't think I am charging him enough! :tongue1:

Our newspaper The Sacramento Bee has a columnist who helps people find substitues for their favorite products, or helps people find products. You may have luck emailing her. I don't know if she can answer a personal letter since you are not in Sacramento, but it may be worth a try.

Her name is Leigh Grogan, and you can email her at [email protected].

Here is a sample of her letters and answers:

http://www.sacbee.com/107/story/653540.html

Good Luck!