Target's Reusable Shopping Bags

vsa3janes

Saw these today, 3 sizes, one folds into a zipper carrying case, another is a small tote with handles, the one I bought is a large approx 14 1/2" x 16 1/2" tote with carrying handles, a hard bottom and it stands up beautifully. The large one folds up with handles tucked in and snaps shut so it is about 6x6.

They are made out of 100% polypropylene, red with a design of a couple trees made of the Target logo in white and a little bird on top of the tree. The large one was only $1.49.

At the Vogel store there was one display at the front end of the registers. The cashier told me some stores have them by the dollar display.

As much as GDers shop at Target just think of the plastic we could save from landfills if we all used these.

When you see them I hope you are all as excited by these as I was.

Our grocery stores here have been promoting these type of bags for a couple of years now. They actually charge .15 per plastic bag now if you choose not to use them. I had issues at first but it's just part of daily life now.:D

Yeah, living here in California, they were required to start selling them here a year or so ago. And they are required to have a recycling bin in each retail store for the plastic bags if they use them. They have been threatening outlawing them or making stores charge for them. I carry canvas tote bags in my trunk for groceries and use paper when I need more (I raided my mom's stash when I visited. She goes to TONS of conferences and had about 30!). It is harder for Target, though, because I almost never get a few items. And the stuff never seems to fit well. Still I have been trying to use them more there, too. It is just harder to get used to.

Yeah, living here in California, they were required to start selling them here a year or so ago. And they are required to have a recycling bin in each retail store for the plastic bags if they use them.

I never knew they were required to sell them...wow!

Best price for reusable bags I've seen is $5 for 6 at Costco. Just about everyone else has them for right around $1/bag

Could someone tell me how hard it is using these when you go to the grocery store. I have been thinking of using these instead of the plastic bags but can't seem to figure out how easy it will be for the baggers to use. Where I shop, we HAVE to use baggers and I have never seen anyone use them before. Any help would be great!!TIA

We are pretty far behind so it has not caught on here. I was surprised when I did see them at Wal-greens. My only issue is that I shop with a toddler and my diaper bag is always filled to the brim so do I just fill the bag as I shop and give them the filled bag? Also, how many bags would I need for a typical grocery trip? Our family has always been pretty concious about the environment and do our best to eat organics and conserve energy but where we are from, most people dont know what organic is! You would not believe how many grossed out looks I get when we say we eat organics. They have no clue what they are missing out on! I have even noticed that the produce and milk stay good far longer than the regular stuff and tastes better! Anyway, sorry for the rant!!!

Our local military commissary has just started selling these and I LOVE them. Picked one up the other day. What's nice about that one, aside from the 70 cent price tag, is the fact that it's as large as a paper grocery sack. It folds flat and has a plastic board that you push down to the bottom. And it has handles. I LOVE it, and will definitely be buying more and using them on our trips. These are pretty sturdy, too. So you military folks may want to check it out. They're green.

:D PLUS, it makes my kids love bringing the groceries in from the car even more!! :D

Could someone tell me how hard it is using these when you go to the grocery store. I have been thinking of using these instead of the plastic bags but can't seem to figure out how easy it will be for the baggers to use. Where I shop, we HAVE to use baggers and I have never seen anyone use them before. Any help would be great!!TIA

I use them all the time. And the store gives me $.05 off for each bag used. The baggers don't even blink.

We are pretty far behind so it has not caught on here. I was surprised when I did see them at Wal-greens. My only issue is that I shop with a toddler and my diaper bag is always filled to the brim so do I just fill the bag as I shop and give them the filled bag? Also, how many bags would I need for a typical grocery trip? Our family has always been pretty concious about the environment and do our best to eat organics and conserve energy but where we are from, most people dont know what organic is! You would not believe how many grossed out looks I get when we say we eat organics. They have no clue what they are missing out on! I have even noticed that the produce and milk stay good far longer than the regular stuff and tastes better! Anyway, sorry for the rant!!!

I have a family of 4, and I use about 6-8 per trip. However, I have a variety of bags, only one of the Target bags. Their bags aren't really big enough for groceries IMHO. I raided my mom's canvas tote bags from conferences. I have one from our Public Radio station (I think it is required if you are a public radio listener ;) ). I just take them all, keep them in my cart by my purse, and hand them to the bagger.

I also have an AWESOME zipper cooler bag that I keep in the car for cold items if I am on a long shopping trip (or just for our hot CA summers). When it is really hot, I add a cold pack to it. I got that at Trader Joe's for $5.

I have a family of 4, and I use about 6-8 per trip. However, I have a variety of bags, only one of the Target bags. Their bags aren't really big enough for groceries IMHO. I raided my mom's canvas tote bags from conferences. I have one from our Public Radio station (I think it is required if you are a public radio listener ;) ). I just take them all, keep them in my cart by my purse, and hand them to the bagger.

I also have an AWESOME zipper cooler bag that I keep in the car for cold items if I am on a long shopping trip (or just for our hot CA summers). When it is really hot, I add a cold pack to it. I got that at Trader Joe's for $5.

I use this too! When I go to meijer (always a very long affair) I just stick all my cold stuff in the bag and when I check out put it all up together and pack it back in the bag..gets heavy sometimes but I like to make as few trips as possible!! Especially in the cold I am not a winter person!

Most stores here offer these 'green' bags. I keep mine in my trunk and bring them in with me whenever I go shopping. I've even started to bring a reusable bag/tote when I go clothes shopping too.

I highly recommend using them to anyone who is considering it. Not only does it cut down on what we are putting into the landfill, but it will help cut down on your clutter at home too. (that is if your under sink area looked like mine!)

I have a few from different grocery stores we also got one of the freezer ones from Costco. My problem is I forget to take them with me. Our Target has 2 or 3 different sizes. $1.49 is the bigger one nice size for groceries. The one I got from black Friday was the smaller size.

:giggle:

You would not believe how many grossed out looks I get when we say we eat organics.

LOL...Maybe they've taken organic chemistry and realize that humans are organic. :giggle: Perhaps if you say "organically grown" instead they'll know you're not going around eating their neighbors. :2letseat:

My problem with these is when I go grocery shopping I usually end up with about 20 bags. Not practical for me to use them.

The canvas bags hold more than a typical plastic grocery store bag. I would easily have 20 if I used those too. I take about 8 canvas tote bags in with me. Sometimes I don't use them all. Other times I overflow and go to paper sacks. We use those to hold our newspapers and recycling in the house. That way we can just dump the whole thing into the recycling container for the city pickup. We don't have to sort, so we usually like to have some of the paper bags around anyway.

We eat as many organics as possible too. People are always wanting to start some type of conversation about it and I usually finding myself defending my choices. Kind of urks me:mad:!! But also to the lady that has 20 bags of groceries...I agree as well that these bags hold WAY more than the plastic ones do. I would probably have 10 to 12 bags and using these bags I would say we could fit it in 6. At first it was a pain in the a#@, but now I love them. BUT remember to leave them in your car, or if you are like me you get to the grocery store and remember they are hanging at home by the back door! :rolleyes:

Guest quigonatr
Okay I know this had nothing to do with TARGET, but I have grown to know some of you on here. I want to know where everyone is getting those cute little white stickers that you usually see on the back window of an SUV. you can put the Dad & Mom figure how many kids , dogs & cats you have . I want those so bad & don't know where to find them. I don't think they are a great idea if you put the actual names on people on there (for every child predator to see), but I love them ! Someone out there must know what I am talking about!!:fluffy:

We eat as many organics as possible too. People are always wanting to start some type of conversation about it and I usually finding myself defending my choices. Kind of urks me:mad:!! But also to the lady that has 20 bags of groceries...I agree as well that these bags hold WAY more than the plastic ones do. I would probably have 10 to 12 bags and using these bags I would say we could fit it in 6. At first it was a pain in the a#@, but now I love them. BUT remember to leave them in your car, or if you are like me you get to the grocery store and remember they are hanging at home by the back door! :rolleyes:

Yep! I keep them in my trunk, but on grocery shopping days I have to move them all to the passenger front seat so I remember them!