Fluorescent Black Light

Okay, here's what happened: My daughter brought her youngster of a cat over to spend a few days with me, and my oldtimer cat didn't like it one bit. She disliked it so much, in fact, that she...ummm...urinated on my bed. Possibly several times. Ewww, right? I checked some websites and almost all of them recommend getting a black light to see exactly where the urine is now residing on/in my mattress. Like an idiot, I went out and bought an incandescent black light bulb. Now I reread the sites and they specifically say that a fluorescent light is necessary. No kidding.

So. Anybody know where I can get an inexpensive (CHEAP) fluorescent bulb (quickly) along with the necessary fixture to use it? I love my couch, but sleeping there indefinitely has never been a dream of mine.

Thanks.

Guest quigonatr
I heard this is a good idea to take one of these lights with you to a hotel to check for cleanliness too! We might not stay if we did this though!! I would like one as well

Spencers has them, also walgreens has something called Urine Gone (I think thats the name) it is a spray to remove the urine and also has the black light with it.

Target also sells the Urine gone sets - or at least they have in the past. It is usually on an endcap with the rest of the "seen on TV" stuff. I think it is like 19.99 for the box with the blacklight.

Thank you ALL for your replies! I ended up going to Petco after work today and getting what they recommended: Stink-Finder Ultra-Violet Light & Flashlight. Stink-Finder?? It not only detects urine and "other biological contamination," but it "will fluoresce many types of ringworm," "lets you inspect your hotel/motel accommodations" (specifically for quigonatr!), and "fluoresces the anti-counterfeiting strip embedded in real currency." Dang, now if it'll just pay my bills, I'll buy stock in the company!

And of course it comes with a liquid odor remover, Stink-Free. (What else could it possibly be called.) All for the low, low price of around $22 with tax. But does it work? I dunno. I'm in momentary denial and haven't tried it yet.

All righty. That was a most disgusting process. Time for a new mattress. I'm tossing my "old" one -- I just got it in August -- and going out today to buy a new one. Thankfully, this seems to be the season of mattress sales because this one may not be beyond hope, but I'LL never sleep on it again.

How one little cat could possibly hold all that liquid inside her is beyond me. Unless maybe my grandcat joined her. And my daughter's friend had brought her dog over to play. I think they all marked their territory on my bed! :2urinate: Too bad the guinea pig and the snake didn't come by, too. They could've had a real potty party. Geeez.

So back to the thread, I would recommend the Stink-Free light.

Guest quigonatr

Thank you ALL for your replies! I ended up going to Petco after work today and getting what they recommended: Stink-Finder Ultra-Violet Light & Flashlight. Stink-Finder?? It not only detects urine and "other biological contamination," but it "will fluoresce many types of ringworm," "lets you inspect your hotel/motel accommodations" (specifically for quigonatr!), and "fluoresces the anti-counterfeiting strip embedded in real currency." Dang, now if it'll just pay my bills, I'll buy stock in the company!

And of course it comes with a liquid odor remover, Stink-Free. (What else could it possibly be called.) All for the low, low price of around $22 with tax. But does it work? I dunno. I'm in momentary denial and haven't tried it yet.

Thank you, so did the light show the spots?

Thank you, so did the light show the spots?

Yes it did. It took awhile for my eyes to adjust to what I was seeing, but yes, I could see the demarcation lines and all. The light is 6" long so it's a perfect compact size to stick in a suitcase or purse or whatever.