Now this is just rude!!!

Scanner420

First of all, obviously it's not OK to make "rude" comments when other customers are around but (a) who's to say that they were customers around in the first place and (B) if it wasn't said loud enough so customers could hear, what does it matter? I worked in a store that prides itself on customer service and I've seen managers talk about customers to each other all the time. As long as other customers don't hear, it's not a problem.

Second, as a manager, you obviously didn't encounter the customers who expected employees to hold their hands. There have been numerous occassions where I've been asked to show customers where every single thing on their list is located in the store because they're too lazy to read the signs and look for themselves. I've had people yell at me because I don't know every single detail about a stupid toaster. I've had people get angry at me because they asked me for my advice on certain products and they didn't like my answers.

Maybe where you worked you didn't have the pleasure of meeting these customers but employees that work in stores like Target, Walmart, and Toys R Us witness these customers daily.

If the OP wants to call corporate, go ahead. I can almost guarantee you that the store manager will be notified of the situation, and he'll/she'll laugh it off and do absolutely nothing about it. My friend works at the customer service desk at Target and she gets numerous complaints about certain employees who have given "bad" customer service. You know what happens? Absolutely nothing. People like to complain about EVERYTHING, don't they?

Sounds like to me you're condoning the behavior of this TRU employee because of your own bad experiences. So would you have made a comment like that in that situation??? And as for your argument "how do you know anyone could hear what she said" and "there's nothing wrong with saying things like that when the customers can't hear you," that's ridiculous! You better ASSUME that everyone can hear what you say when you're on the floor and leave comments like that for the breakroom...

And yes, I have been offended by people's language (customers) while shopping and feel like I have the right to ask them to stop talking that way in front of my kid(s).

First off, we have NO idea how the original poster addressed the person she spoke with (tone of voice, etc.). She may say she spoke one way, and in fact, spoke another way to her. Secondly, she bought the WII a MONTH ago. Why on earth would you try to get something for free when you bought the darn thing a MONTH ago. If you were truly that concerned about getting it, why not return the one you had, and buy a new one to get the rockers.

I work in customer service for 2 companies. I get paid minimum wage, and deal with crap day in and day out. Customers ALWAYS expected something for nothing. ALWAYS. And when you give them their "deserved" free crap, they still have a fit because it is not good enough. They will continue to b*tch and moan over it LONG after they have gotten whatever it is that they wanted. Yes, customer service is there to help you, but NOT to make every decision for you, and not to hold your hand because you are too lazy to actually look for what YOU want. I have literally had customers tell me, "Well, you tell me what I want." How in the world am I supposed to know what you are looking for if YOU don't even know? We are NOT mind readers, and we can only do so much. Until YOU have actually had to work in customer service, you will NEVER know the crap they deal with day in and day out with demanding customers.

My husband used to complain about the customers he had to deal with every day. And I always told him there was no way people actually acted that way. There was no way people could be so demanding for no reason ans actually expect to get the crap they wanted. Boy, was I wrong. I have dealt with very few "good" customers. I'd say about 90-95% of the customers I have dealt with have been very rude and ill-informed.

QUOTE Scanner420: "I really didn't get a chance to read over all of it, (I was running late) but I was curious, since I bought a Wii there a month ago and called the store on my way into work."

She didn't even read it all over BEFORE calling. There is always fine print to any sale.

QUOTE: Scanner420: "I took a breath and told her slowly, that I saw the display for the free chairs and wondered if the product I had bought a month ago, at that store, qualified for the freebies and quick as anything, she said no, it has to be no later than 10 days from the sale and that it was store policy. (kinda ironic that five minutes ago, she knew nothing about the sale.)"

Just because she didn't know about the sale does not mean she doesn't know about STORE POLICY. They are 2 different things.

As a customer, ALWAYS make sure YOU are informed BEFORE you call about something. That is YOUR job as a customer.

Yes, the employee was wrong in cussing to her fellow employee. But at the same time, how do WE know what the original poster said to her? We don't. Maybe the employee was justified in venting to ther fellow co-worker. (Not the languaged used, though.)

First off, we have NO idea how the original poster addressed the person she spoke with (tone of voice, etc.). She may say she spoke one way, and in fact, spoke another way to her. Secondly, she bought the WII a MONTH ago. Why on earth would you try to get something for free when you bought the darn thing a MONTH ago. If you were truly that concerned about getting it, why not return the one you had, and buy a new one to get the rockers.

I work in customer service for 2 companies. I get paid minimum wage, and deal with crap day in and day out. Customers ALWAYS expected something for nothing. ALWAYS. And when you give them their "deserved" free crap, they still have a fit because it is not good enough. They will continue to b*tch and moan over it LONG after they have gotten whatever it is that they wanted. Yes, customer service is there to help you, but NOT to make every decision for you, and not to hold your hand because you are too lazy to actually look for what YOU want. I have literally had customers tell me, "Well, you tell me what I want." How in the world am I supposed to know what you are looking for if YOU don't even know? We are NOT mind readers, and we can only do so much. Until YOU have actually had to work in customer service, you will NEVER know the crap they deal with day in and day out with demanding customers.

My husband used to complain about the customers he had to deal with every day. And I always told him there was no way people actually acted that way. There was no way people could be so demanding for no reason ans actually expect to get the crap they wanted. Boy, was I wrong. I have dealt with very few "good" customers. I'd say about 90-95% of the customers I have dealt with have been very rude and ill-informed.

QUOTE Scanner420: "I really didn't get a chance to read over all of it, (I was running late) but I was curious, since I bought a Wii there a month ago and called the store on my way into work."

She didn't even read it all over BEFORE calling. There is always fine print to any sale.

QUOTE: Scanner420: "I took a breath and told her slowly, that I saw the display for the free chairs and wondered if the product I had bought a month ago, at that store, qualified for the freebies and quick as anything, she said no, it has to be no later than 10 days from the sale and that it was store policy. (kinda ironic that five minutes ago, she knew nothing about the sale.)"

Just because she didn't know about the sale does not mean she doesn't know about STORE POLICY. They are 2 different things.

As a customer, ALWAYS make sure YOU are informed BEFORE you call about something. That is YOUR job as a customer.

Yes, the employee was wrong in cussing to her fellow employee. But at the same time, how do WE know what the original poster said to her? We don't. Maybe the employee was justified in venting to ther fellow co-worker. (Not the languaged used, though.)

But I think you're missing the point, the language, the way I understood the post, was mainly what she was upset about...

No, I am not. How do WE know what Scanner420 said to the CS girl? We don't. She could have easily cussed at her to begin with. We will never know the true exchange that went on between the 2. Angry customers tend to leave that part out.

And I said the employee was WRONG for using that language.

Correction to my post, I thought the poster was a she, not a he, so I apologize for that.

As a side note, the customer bought the WII in September, not a month ago...see here. Or was it in October: here, and here?

Either way, he didn't even buy it a MONTH ago. It was well OVER that. He was trying to get something he didn't even "deserve". Something for nothing. Something the customer DID, but conveniently left out of the story he told to everyone else. So, in essence (minus the language), the customer service girl was RIGHT.

I would never as a customer treat anyone that way - AND I would expect the same from someone else. I don't care if a CS person just got cussed out by someone else - I don't need to be treated as if I was the person that just mistreated them. An aspect of that job is being able to handle the adversity that comes along and MOVE ON. Not every customer wants something for free, not every customer is going to treat you bad, not every customer is a scamming theif. Don't treat me like that because someone else dumped on you. I am there to shop and if I come up to you and nicely ask where something is - don't huff, roll your eyes, and get a sarcastic tone. I was nice to you so be nice to me - it really is your job to help me. That is what customer SERVICE is right?

My advice to those that are burnt out from customer service is to find a job elsewhere. Sure the economy is bad but there ARE other jobs out there. Hey I drive a school bus and I know we are constantly hiring - chances are your bus companies are too. There are options - don't cry about a lack of options because if you are committed enough to make a change you can do it.

The OP gave me the impression that they were more upset with the fact that the employee first played dumb on the phone saying they didn't know what sign the OP was talking about. Then when pushed further they all of a sudden knew. THEN they used foul language when a customer could hear - hey the OP was a customer regardless if they were there in person or on the phone. The CS person on the phone was NOT right in my opinion.

The customer service girl (according to the way the orignal post is stated) did NOT admit to knowing what the sale was. She answered his question as to whether or not he would qualify for the sale (as per store policy). THIS is the EXACT reason customer service people get so fed up with customers. Very rarely will a customer actually LISTEN to what they are asking, and what is being answered. ALWAYS KNOW WHAT YOU ARE ASKING ABOUT BEFORE DOING SO. The customer was wrong in the first place for even calling to ask about a CURRENT sale MONTHS after he bought his WII. If he had been an honest person in the first place, it wouldn't have even happened.

I hate working in customer service for this very reason, but I don't take it out on the customers even if they are being idiots. I simply will not give them what they want. I've had people scream at me, call me names, lie to my face, and even hang up on me. And every time, I smile at them, and simply refuse to do whatever it is they feel they "deserve".

But like I said, we don't even KNOW how the real conversation went down in the first place. Since he lied about when he got the WII, he could be lying about what was said on both their parts.

They were both WRONG for what they did...him lying, and her for cussing after she thought he hung up.

I'd say about 90-95% of the customers I have dealt with have been very rude and ill-informed.

90-95%? Very,very unbelievable.

I worked in customer service for low pay for over 10 years for one company plus some others before that and nowhere near even 50% of the customers were rude or ill-informed.

Good customer service people know how to diffuse the few that are rude. It's all about how you respond to them and make them feel!

As I previously said, cussing by an employee in a toy store is completely unacceptable no matter what the person calling said on the phone!

Just wondering where does the OP say they bought the Wii months before? Have I missed a post?

I just hate the implication that you are making that ALL customers are awful idiots. Do you hear yourself when you talk (or in this instance write) about your job? It just irks me that there is some kind of division where now store personell think the customers are lying, cheating, demanding idiots. Not all customers are like that but because of your past you are assuming that the OP is one of those people - just like you are probably assuming I am. I am sure you read every post that someone writes about problems at the store and assume that it was surely the OP's fault in some way because they were being rude or demanding or whatever.

I will be the first person to say that I have been very disappointed in the service that I have received at certain stores lately. The quality of service is going way down. Rarely can I find someone to help me and when I do they are not happy doing it. All I can say is that it is a shame that it has come to this.

My advice to those that are burnt out from customer service is to find a job elsewhere. Sure the economy is bad but there ARE other jobs out there. Hey I drive a school bus and I know we are constantly hiring - chances are your bus companies are too. There are options - don't cry about a lack of options because if you are committed enough to make a change you can do it.

OMG!!!! LMAO!!!! Get a job as a school bus driver if you are burnt out from customer service!!!! Thats a good one!!!! Did you ever think there is a reason your company is always hiring? Talk about a thankless job. I would rather clean Target's bathrooms all day then put up with the kids from this generation and their parents "not my child" attitudes.

MMM40 ~ I know what you mean. People used to come into the toy store, (not TRU), I worked at during the holiday season and by the end of my shift the only thought going through my head was that I would love to follow them home and trash their homes the way they let their kids trash my store. These people would let their kids rip open packages, leave things on the floors, break things, touch things with their dirty little hands, spill things, and knock over displays while the parents turned a blind eye. To top off all that they would let their kids do these things right in front of employees. Ask them to stop and see what you get, you get a customer complaining that you told their child not to do something. It didn't matter how nicely you said it either. Now before I get 100 lectures that I should have been talking to the parents... I would have loved to have talked to the parents, and I did, when you could find them. But instead of watching their children people used to come in and shop and let little Suzzie and little Johnny play with the display toys while they shopped. Now here this kid is about to wander out into the mall or about to pull a display down on their heads, what are you suppossed to do? Let them get hurt or tell them come on honey don't touch that, lets find mommy and get a customer complaint? Well guess what? The last time I went through a customer service class I do not recall seeing anything about babysitting. On top of that I used to get yelled at for all sorts of things. I had people yell at me because I could not tell them if a computer game would work on their computer. I had people yell at me because I couldn't tell them if the doll clothes they were buying would fit their child's doll... that was at home! I could go on here forever listing the things that I got yelled at that had nothing to do with me. One other thing before anyone makes the other comment getting thrown around here, I was looking for a new job during the time I worked there and putting in applications. I was not in a position to quit until I found a job with equal pay and one that could give me a certain amount of hours so I had to stick it out there until I found something else. Which anyone who has ever applied for a job knows can take weeks.

OMG!!!! LMAO!!!! Get a job as a school bus driver if you are burnt out from customer service!!!! Thats a good one!!!! Did you ever think there is a reason your company is always hiring? Talk about a thankless job. I would rather clean Target's bathrooms all day then put up with the kids from this generation and their parents "not my child" attitudes.

OMG!!!! LMAO!!!! -- I happen to LOVE my job. :tongue1: I have absolutely no problems with the kids that I drive OR the parents of the kids. I live in a fairly high income area as well and again NO problems. Often the high turnover is because we don't get as many hours - I average 4 a day. It is rough to make ends meet when you are only getting paid $11.50 an hour 4 hours a day. You go right ahead and clean those bathrooms because I am totally 100% happy doing what I am doing. In fact it is probably good you aren't a bus driver because that chip on your shoulder regarding other people's kids wouldn't do you a bit of good in a position with kids.

let me just start with i was a waitress/manager in a restraunt for 5 years now im at home with 5 girls 12.6,4,3,6 months i know hard work what i dont understand is what happened to traet others how you would want to be treated werent we tought this arent we teaching our children this this person made the other feel bad regardless of the situation there isnt a need for that i tell my girls all the time just because someone has a job and gets paid for it doesnt mean they know how to do their job i have also dealt with the rudest people but dont you learn kindness always wins they will leave the situation feeling worse then you ever would if you dont like your job leave it i cant very well quit mine can i but would i ever have an excuse to make my girls feel bad no! would i ever make a customer feel bad when i was in the restraunt buisness no !they would curse at me and want things free all the time i would simply say please dont curse at me or yell or this conversation is over if you can do this im sure can resolve this problem i was told by the owners customer is always right they are paying for your service yes to the one who seems to not like children so much my girls do touch every toy and pick up every toy and play with it and makes a mess in every reatraunt but i do put every toy back wher they got it even if its on the other side of store and i clean up every mess they make in a restraunt i even pick things up off the floor and still leave a good tip when i have bad service i ask then and there is there a reason you are being rude to me and can someone else help me which usually shocks them and there attitude changes sorry for saying so much but my whole point is treat others how you want to be treated like i said from the beginning merry x-mas ,happy holidays even to you who seem to forget this is the time for happiness

OMG!!!! LMAO!!!! -- I happen to LOVE my job. :tongue1: I have absolutely no problems with the kids that I drive OR the parents of the kids. I live in a fairly high income area as well and again NO problems. Often the high turnover is because we don't get as many hours - I average 4 a day. It is rough to make ends meet when you are only getting paid $11.50 an hour 4 hours a day. You go right ahead and clean those bathrooms because I am totally 100% happy doing what I am doing. In fact it is probably good you aren't a bus driver because that chip on your shoulder regarding other people's kids wouldn't do you a bit of good in a position with kids.

to the one who seems to not like children so much my girls do touch every toy and pick up every toy and play with it and makes a mess in every reatraunt but i do put every toy back wher they got it even if its on the other side of store and i clean up every mess they make in a restraunt i even pick things up off the floor

I don't have any chip on my shoulder for children, I adore children. I should, I have 5 of them and babysit 2 and I am very involved in the girls school. So, since you clearly did not understand what I saying, let me explain... its their parents I have a problem with, especially the ones who feel that it is ok to let their kids run wild and tear up a crowded toy store in the middle of the holiday shopping season and then leave the mess for the employees to clean up. I was also talking about the idiot customers that leave small children to play unattended and either wander away or get hurt. I even had a woman come up to me one time and yell at me that she couldn't find her 3 year old, (that she left alone playing at the train table while she shopped), and that it was somehow my fault since I wasn't watching him, (from across the store where she found me stocking shelves). How could I possibly blame the child for that? I actually felt sorry for the kid. IMO that is clear neglect. If mom and dad were doing their jobs then jr. wouldn't be a problem now would he? That is what I was talking about.

annelay6 ~ please read the above and please re-read my other post... if all the parents picked up after their kids like you say you do then I would not have had to stay 2 hours past closing every night cleaning up. Again, I DO NOT have a problem with kids, I have a problem with the parents not doing their jobs.

I don't have any chip on my shoulder for children, I adore children. I should, I have 5 of them and babysit 2 and I am very involved in the girls school. So, since you clearly did not understand what I saying, let me explain... its their parents I have a problem with, especially the ones who feel that it is ok to let their kids run wild and tear up a crowded toy store in the middle of the holiday shopping season and then leave the mess for the employees to clean up. I was also talking about the idiot customers that leave small children to play unattended and either wander away or get hurt. I even had a woman come up to me one time and yell at me that she couldn't find her 3 year old, (that she left alone playing at the train table while she shopped), and that it was somehow my fault since I wasn't watching him, (from across the store where she found me stocking shelves). How could I possibly blame the child for that? I actually felt sorry for the kid. IMO that is clear neglect. If mom and dad were doing their jobs then jr. wouldn't be a problem now would he? That is what I was talking about.

annelay6 ~ please read the above and please re-read my other post... if all the parents picked up after their kids like you say you do then I would not have had to stay 2 hours past closing every night cleaning up. Again, I DO NOT have a problem with kids, I have a problem with the parents not doing their jobs.

That is all well and good - just don't knock my job when you know ABSOLUTELY nothing about it. I didn't come on here complaining. In fact I am a testimonial for how great of a job is *for me*.

To the other PP:

It seems to me the attitude you bring to your job affects how you perform it. If you are burnt out with customers then obviously you are going to go to work with a HUGE chip on your shoulder. You are going to think "I'm not going to give one cheating, lying customer what they want today because all they are trying to do is scam me". So what happens to the legit customer who just needs a little extra help? You chip affects that interaction and the odds are exponientially higher that that customer is going to get mad, upset, and angry with you for whatever reason. What started out as a nice needy customer has now turned into a problem because as a CS rep you turned it sour with your attitude. 90-95% of customers ARE NOT bad - that is just your attitude towards customers talking now. You see EVERY customer as bad which is a dang shame.

The long and short of it are there are bad customers and bad CS reps. I choose not to be a CS rep for a good reason - I have a short temper and when I am upset I cry. I know my limitations and I made a choice better suited to my abilities. My job doesn't pay great - hey I probably only average what a CS rep makes working fulltime. I don't get benefits and sure I have interaction with parents who are only concerned about the wellbeing of their children so they can act like bears. I *know* that everyone can have a bad day so I don't take it out on my passengers or their parents. That is what you need to be able to do in ANY job - period.

It seems to me the attitude you bring to your job affects how you perform it. If you are burnt out with customers then obviously you are going to go to work with a HUGE chip on your shoulder. You are going to think "I'm not going to give one cheating, lying customer what they want today because all they are trying to do is scam me". So what happens to the legit customer who just needs a little extra help? You chip affects that interaction and the odds are exponientially higher that that customer is going to get mad, upset, and angry with you for whatever reason. What started out as a nice needy customer has now turned into a problem because as a CS rep you turned it sour with your attitude. 90-95% of customers ARE NOT bad - that is just your attitude towards customers talking now. You see EVERY customer as bad which is a dang shame.

:gdclap::gdyeahthat::g_clap::gdiagree::yelclap:

That is all well and good - just don't knock my job when you know ABSOLUTELY nothing about it. I didn't come on here complaining. In fact I am a testimonial for how great of a job is *for me*.

I am glad that your job is the one "for you", it always makes life easier when you like what you do everyday. Please, though, you really don't know much about me so don't presume to tell me what I do and do not know anything about. For your information I was a police dispatcher for over 6 years and had DAILY dealings with our local school district. Alot of those dealings were requests for officers to take reports about incidents that occurred on school buses. Alot of what was called in for me to document and send a response to was a far cry from your "no problems here". I also have 4 children still in our school district who ride the buses every single day and come home and talk about what goes on during the bus ride. On more than 1 occassion I have had to drive down the street and pick up my older kids when the students on the bus behaved so badly the driver pulled over and called the police. I also see how the kids act when my kids get dropped off everyday. I am also close friends with more than 1 bus driver and they talk about their jobs without the sunny, happy, no problems here attitude you have. As a matter of fact they all portray their jobs as low pay, (they all make less than your $11.50), high stress, and bad hours.

My children have taken the bus for 4 years now and I make it a point to talk to their bus drivers every year at school on the first day and at the bus stop before and after school and they have so far all been like nikkilugi and love their jobs and enjoy children and are just the nicest people! I live in a pretty middle class neighborhood and my children are always bussed with kids from lower-income families from the other side of town and I know that there are problems on the bus sometimes (more than I'd like), and I know that some busses have A LOT of problems on them (because I have been in the school more than when bus drivers have dropped off referrals) and they are still very pleasant and not bitter at all.

In my middle class neighborhood I bet that every single person that has a job (over 200 homes) complains about low pay, high stress and bad hours; not just people that work in retail for minimum wage!! Very few people are happy with their pay and don't think that they deserve to make more for what they do and very few people have "perfect" hours and very few people don't ever feel stress at work.

Correction to my post, I thought the poster was a she, not a he, so I apologize for that.

As a side note, the customer bought the WII in September, not a month ago...see here. Or was it in October: here, and here?

Either way, he didn't even buy it a MONTH ago. It was well OVER that. He was trying to get something he didn't even "deserve". Something for nothing. Something the customer DID, but conveniently left out of the story he told to everyone else. So, in essence (minus the language), the customer service girl was RIGHT.

I'll start with this one....

I originally bought two and sold one on e-bay. One in Sept and one in Oct. Don't call me a liar! And I said in my original post that I bought it over a month ago!!

I am glad that your job is the one "for you", it always makes life easier when you like what you do everyday. Please, though, you really don't know much about me so don't presume to tell me what I do and do not know anything about. For your information I was a police dispatcher for over 6 years and had DAILY dealings with our local school district. Alot of those dealings were requests for officers to take reports about incidents that occurred on school buses. Alot of what was called in for me to document and send a response to was a far cry from your "no problems here". I also have 4 children still in our school district who ride the buses every single day and come home and talk about what goes on during the bus ride. On more than 1 occassion I have had to drive down the street and pick up my older kids when the students on the bus behaved so badly the driver pulled over and called the police. I also see how the kids act when my kids get dropped off everyday. I am also close friends with more than 1 bus driver and they talk about their jobs without the sunny, happy, no problems here attitude you have. As a matter of fact they all portray their jobs as low pay, (they all make less than your $11.50), high stress, and bad hours.

Well maybe it has something to do with geography? Sure some drivers have problems but none that make our drivers go crazy or anything. What motivation would I have to lie to you about this?? I don't own the bus company, I just drive. Sure there are some problems, sure kids can act up, when don't they?

All I know is that on my bus route I have good kids. Now my route is only 15 minutes long from start to finish so the kids don't have much time to act up. The fact is I have been waiting to crawl up the senority chain so I can get more trips and it is taking me forever - there are drivers that have been driving 15+ years at my location. Something must be ok for them to stay.

We both have our own opinions - however the fact is mine comes from experience of actually driving a bus instead of listening to someone gripe and complain. Like Rockford mom says you will always hear someone gripe and complain about their job - that is human nature. FYI your first comment laughing and saying how you would rather clean toilets wasn't the nicest thing in the world to say to someone about their chosen job.

Rockfordmom and nikkilugi...re-read my post. I said 90-95% of the customers *I* have DEALT with were rude and ill-informed. NOT ALL customers. There is a huge difference. HUGE. That was my point EXACTLY. People (just like customers) read/see/hear what they WANT to hear. Not always what is said/done. I'm sorry of you don't like what I said. It is the truth in MY experience.

jeffNangie, I do not have a chip on my shoulder. And no, I am still in the customer service department because I am darn good at what I do. I do what needs to be done, and I don't take crap from customers who feel they deserve a free ride. I work in two customer service departments at the same time. It is MY job to make sure the customer is taken care of. I have bent over backwards for my customers. I have gone to their houses on MY time to take care of whatever computer problems they are having (without asking to be paid, and without getting compensation). I have made guides for people who don't know how to use their own computers on MY time because I wanted to make sure that they are TAKEN CARE OF, but I will be darned if I will bend over for the people who come in DEMANDING I do it for them because they will not take the time to learn for themselves and they feel I should do everything for them.

Just because one of my jobs is an ISP, does that mean I should type out every email you want to send? No. Does that mean I should personally come to your house and download and install whatever programs you want? No. Is it my fault when you don't listen to the directions I give you (vocally and in written form), and you can't do what you want to do? No. Does that mean I am going to magically know what you want when I don't even know what YOUR needs are? No.

And because the other job has to deal with internet/cable/phone in one service, does that mean I should come and hook up your new surround system because you "can't" do it? No. Does that mean I should give you whatever services you want for FREE because some friend of yours got a deal like that MONTHS ago? No. Does that mean is it MY fault when your bill comes in wrong? No.

This is MY experience on a daily basis. MINE. So, yes, 90-95% of the customers *I* have DEALT with are infact rude and ill-informed. They don't take the time to educate themselves on what they are wanting/needing. But the other 5-10%, I will bend over backwards to help....even on MY time, and without asking/accepting compensation. I love those customers, and treat them like that are my family. I give each new customer a chance to prove which "side" they are on. And some of the "bad" customers have actually gone to the "good" side because I realized that they were having a BAD DAY just like anyone else can. So, don't assume you know me or my practices, either.

And Scanner420, please re-read what you wrote. It says in your post THREE times where you bought the WII a month ago, not OVER a month ago. Again, a big difference. If you meant to say OVER a month ago, then you should have. (And if you bought it MONTHS ago, why would you even bother with trying to get something you HAVE to know you had NO right to get?)

Alright!! I just had to post this because it's too rediculous to believe. I went and did a return last night at TRU on my way to work. Afterwards, I walked a bit and saw they had a promotion with the video-rockers, where you actually get two free if you buy a new game system by Dec 24th. I really didn't get a chance to read over all of it, (I was running late) but I was curious, since I bought a Wii there a month ago and called the store on my way into work.

After ten minutes of waiting I get through to the service desk, to be told that she wasn't aware of any such sale. When I told her I was just there, she transferred me to the "R-Zone." The kid who answered said she didn't know of any sale and I told her they had a display about it and she still wasn't aware of it. I told her I had bought the Wii a month ago and she told me that they didn't have any Wii's in stock...sorry! I stopped her again and by now, I could tell she was getting short-temperred with me.

I took a breath and told her slowly, that I saw the display for the free chairs and wondered if the product I had bought a month ago, at that store, qualified for the freebies and quick as anything, she said no, it has to be no later than 10 days from the sale and that it was store policy. (kinda ironic that five minutes ago, she knew nothing about the sale.) I thanked her and she simply said "bye", but I didn't hang up and I heard her talking as she hung up saying "God! These 'freekin' people want everything! It's rediculous!" (substitute another F-word for freeking)

I immediately tried calling back and got the automated system and lost the call. I tried again and got through to the service desk and asked to be put through to the manager and was left on hold. Now.....I'm not some deadbeat looking for a *darn* handout. With 4 kids of my own, I have spent a good deal of $$$ at TRU over the years. But if this is the way they're going to treat people, then I guess someone else will benefit at their loss. I have contacted Corporate with this and will let you know if I hear anything.

Things like that are the EXACT reason why customer service people have a hard time doing their job. What the customer "means", and what they say are 2 different things. We aren't mind readers.

All I have to say after reading these posts is that I don't know of too many people who can say they actually love thier jobs. Most people work to earn a paycheck not to just have something to do. I have worked retail at different times in my life and you meet all kinds of people. Most are nice. You do get a few that have their panties in a bunch and are rude. I find if you talk nice to them they usually calm down and change their tune a bit. Holidays are stressful for both employees and customers. Everyone needs to step back and take a deep breath. Everyone will have to deal with an a$$ sometime in their life. You just have to decide how you will deal with it. I usually tend to feel sorry for people that are so miserable and let it go. Depends on what kind of day I having too ;) We're only human.

:gdhug1:

IMO scanner 420 was trying to get something for nothing...

This is like going into say BestBuy today and buying a 42 inch plasma tv for $1000, then seeing 6 months down the road the same tv being sold for $600 and asking them if they will price match.

How in the world would this sale even remotely apply to your purchase? and if it did, you being the savvy shopper you are, would've noticed it the first 2 times you bought your Wii's right? I mean the customer service people obviously know of every single sale in their store so shouldn't you know of one sale that applies to the product you're buying?

Get off your high horse.

I work in a CS field, and while most of the people I meet are great, the ignorant ones who think they just deserve special treatment because they have been a long standing client really annoy me.

Rockfordmom and nikkilugi...re-read my post. I said 90-95% of the customers *I* have DEALT with were rude and ill-informed. NOT ALL customers. There is a huge difference. HUGE. That was my point EXACTLY. People (just like customers) read/see/hear what they WANT to hear. Not always what is said/done. I'm sorry of you don't like what I said. It is the truth in MY experience.

If you read my post I stated that the attitude you bring in affects how you perceive customers. That means that I think you are going into this with the attitude that YOUR customers (basically ALL customer you come in contact with) are rude, lying, demanding people. Tell me how that is a HUGE difference? You are saying that 90-95% are bad right? I mean do you get ALL of the bad ones and nobody else? I guess I am just confused how you are making the distinction between customers you have worked with VS. all customers in the world? How are you getting all the bad ones? Do they flock to you? :eyepoppin

IMO scanner 420 was trying to get something for nothing...

This is like going into say BestBuy today and buying a 42 inch plasma tv for $1000, then seeing 6 months down the road the same tv being sold for $600 and asking them if they will price match.

How in the world would this sale even remotely apply to your purchase? and if it did, you being the savvy shopper you are, would've noticed it the first 2 times you bought your Wii's right? I mean the customer service people obviously know of every single sale in their store so shouldn't you know of one sale that applies to the product you're buying?

Get off your high horse.

I work in a CS field, and while most of the people I meet are great, the ignorant ones who think they just deserve special treatment because they have been a long standing client really annoy me.

I don't see the harm in her asking if she could still get the deal. I know I would of. It never hurts to ask. I don't think she was upset being told that she couldn't take advantage of the deal, it was how she was treated.

My children have taken the bus for 4 years now and I make it a point to talk to their bus drivers every year at school on the first day and at the bus stop before and after school and they have so far all been like nikkilugi and love their jobs and enjoy children and are just the nicest people! I live in a pretty middle class neighborhood and my children are always bussed with kids from lower-income families from the other side of town and I know that there are problems on the bus sometimes (more than I'd like), and I know that some busses have A LOT of problems on them (because I have been in the school more than when bus drivers have dropped off referrals) and they are still very pleasant and not bitter at all.

In my middle class neighborhood I bet that every single person that has a job (over 200 homes) complains about low pay, high stress and bad hours; not just people that work in retail for minimum wage!! Very few people are happy with their pay and don't think that they deserve to make more for what they do and very few people have "perfect" hours and very few people don't ever feel stress at work.

I'm sure almost everyone complains. However, only CS has been determined to be The #1 Most Stressful job in America according to study results that came out this past fall.

while it is true things are stressful in a retail environment this time of year, the people that work there (however shabbily treated and paid) have signed up (not been drafted) to work these jobs. I don't expect them to go out of their way to be extra special kind to me, but the basics I do expect: Look me in the eye, don't swear at me or about me on the retail floor (swear about me out back all you want) and don't be blatently rude.

I worked retail for a number of years and had to teach these skills to our teenage hires. Don't talk around the customer to your friend. Don't be rude. Even when they are nasty, still be pleasant.

I've had people swear at me, throw things at me, scream, etc. My favorite was the lady who screamed at me for calling her "ma'am".

Wow! I'm glad I mostly shop online. I cannot believe the attitudes of the customer service people here. I served the public for 10 years, and I always approached people with politness and respect, and most of the time, I got it back. You can't approach people thinking they are bad or stupid and expect them not to notice. If it weren't for your customers, you wouldn't have a job...

HE wasn't treated badly. The girl told him that she did not know about the sale (which is possible), but that according to STORE POLICY, he wouldn't qualify for it since it was past the 10 days. He heard something she said AFTER their exchange took place. Something he wouldn't have heard had he hung up the phone. If he had said something about the customer service girl to his wife after he finished talking to the girl on the phone, would she have the right to complain about it?

And I do not approach every customer as if they are stupid. As I said, they are provided the chance to "prove" which side they are on. Everyone has bad days. But when you have the same ones that literally come in every day with the same questions/complaints, it gets to be tiring.

I do not come in with a bad attitude at all. Every day, I come in smiling, and I am nice to every person who comes in. If you want, I can give you the personal numbers of the 3 sets of people I do work for, and they can tell you how I act at work, and how I interact with my customers.

nikkilugi, the large portion of people who come into my office, or call, are people complaining about one thing or another. Have I dealt with every customer in the world? No. Hence, I said MY customers. Not ALL customers. People usually come to customer service people because they are having a problem, not to idly chit chat about the weather. I can't help it if you don't understand the difference.