HELP! Which GPS? I dont know the differences

I'm wanting a GPS for myself and my DH and there are so many great sales on them now but I dont know what to look for. The prices vary so much and I cant really tell the difference between them.

DH is a delivery driver and I would like one that he can take out of his car when he goes to work and use in his work truck... Is this possible?

Do they all update maps and traffic delays automatically or only certain kinds? I would like one that would tell me "Main st has a bad accident. Take this other road" kind of thing.

There is going to be a Garmin Nuvi 200 on sale at Walmart tomorrow only for a very good price - is it what I want?

I've tried to understand all of the reviews and features but they all speak in GPS terms and codes 'This one has the blahblah 2016 feature' etc. I just dont get it.

Can someone please help me?!?! :confused::eyepoppin:blush:

I'm wanting a GPS for myself and my DH and there are so many great sales on them now but I dont know what to look for. The prices vary so much and I cant really tell the difference between them.

DH is a delivery driver and I would like one that he can take out of his car when he goes to work and use in his work truck... Is this possible?

Do they all update maps and traffic delays automatically or only certain kinds? I would like one that would tell me "Main st has a bad accident. Take this other road" kind of thing.

There is going to be a Garmin Nuvi 200 on sale at Walmart tomorrow only for a very good price - is it what I want?

I've tried to understand all of the reviews and features but they all speak in GPS terms and codes 'This one has the blahblah 2016 feature' etc. I just dont get it.

Can someone please help me?!?! :confused::eyepoppin:blush:

After you sort out what you think you want, try Provantage.com as they had the very best price on the unit we are getting. Ordered it Tuesday afternoon and it will arrive at our doorstep tomorrow (Friday).

As for maps, you will pay for the updates and even Garmin says about every 2 years should be fine.

Traffic delays - be sure the area he is delivering to has the ability. Here in our town we are out of luck.

Ohh ok. I didnt know that the traffic updates were a paid service. What is the technical term for the service that tells you how the traffic is on real time? I'll have to look into how much that costs and then decide if I want that or not. It's definately not worth it to me if I'm going to be paying like more than $20 a unit per mth. Maybe for DH's but not mine. Thankes for the info

Guest countymike
i also have a tomtom........most have window mounts that can be moved car too car....traffic is an add on $$the tomtom one series is a realativey compact model as they woud fit in shirt pocket & hold about a four hour charge.......i assume others do this as well........the top 3 rated are the garmin,tomtom &magelan........i got the tomtom cause they say its the easiest to use & i needed that....lol......

My dh has a Garmin Streetpilot and it is really great. You get a free trial of the traffic system when you buy a Garmin as well. They will update your maps online if your unit needs it and you can download different fun icons as well. His unit also has a MP3 function and Bluetooth which is really nice.

I can't stress enough that Garmin is a USA based business. I think the quality is fantastic and the company is great. Both of my parents work for Garmin, LOL. Made in the USA is worth something isn't it?? Why support a foreign business - our economy can use all the help it can get.

My dh has a Garmin Streetpilot and it is really great. You get a free trial of the traffic system when you buy a Garmin as well. They will update your maps online if your unit needs it and you can download different fun icons as well. His unit also has a MP3 function and Bluetooth which is really nice.

I can't stress enough that Garmin is a USA based business. I think the quality is fantastic and the company is great. Both of my parents work for Garmin, LOL. Made in the USA is worth something isn't it?? Why support a foreign business - our economy can use all the help it can get.

I just received our Garmin 750 and THOUGHT it was going to be made in USA. WRONG. Unit plainly states DESIGNED in USA MADE in Taiwan., Was really disappointed as I believed people when they said they were made in the USA.

We did NOT get a free trial of the traffic system.

Update maps are not free - but then again, neither are they from TomTom.

Am I happy with the unit? Yes, beyond a doubt. Just know that what I've read from several people is not exactly correct - at least not so in our case.

I just received our Garmin 750 and THOUGHT it was going to be made in USA. WRONG. Unit plainly states DESIGNED in USA MADE in Taiwan., Was really disappointed as I believed people when they said they were made in the USA.

We did NOT get a free trial of the traffic system.

Update maps are not free - but then again, neither are they from TomTom.

Am I happy with the unit? Yes, beyond a doubt. Just know that what I've read from several people is not exactly correct - at least not so in our case.

I will have to check with my mom who is an engineer for Garmin. I know they are expanding their headquarters and building a HUGE warehouse. My dad works in returns and they get the returns directly and reship out the new units on warranty claims.

You need to go online to set up the free trial of the traffic system. Like I said my dh got a streetpilot 550 which isn't even one of the higher priced units and he got the traffic service free trial. He had to go online to activate it though. You go get FREE update maps for the first year of your service then you have to pay like you would with any unit.

Regardless why are we supporting a business based in Europe when we could be supporting a business that employs thousands of US workers BASED here in the United States. I have been inside of the company and I have seen the workrooms where the people are working on components for units and doing all kinds of technical stuff. It is very possible the units are assembled in Taiwan and then shipped back to the home office to be inspected and shipped out to customers. I know that if you need service when you call you will be reaching someone in Kansas - not in India. When you need a warranty service you will be getting your product from Kansas - not Taiwan. When rework needs to be done to a unit it is done here in Kansas - not overseas.

Besides the fact I can say this is a really great company to its workers. It pays well and provides lots of great family events. It has given my mom & dad some great benefits and perks for working there. It is treating its workers right unlike some other US based businesses (like WM for example).

I apologize for saying the units were assembled in the US. Of course it would be more cost efficient to have the unit assembled where most of the components are coming from. My main sentiment remains the same. I would much rather support a local business from the USA that has the added benefit of being in this business MUCH longer than the overseas competitors. Of course like I have stated I am slightly biased because my parents work there and they are headquarted in my hometown.

I picked up the Garmin c-550 in the spring to replace my TomTom and LOVE it. I drive around 60,000 miles a year for work and I use it all day every day. The traffic cost 60.00 per year. Considering how many times it has saved me from being stuck on the interstate it was well worth it! Just have to check to make sure you can get it in your part of the world. It also has bluetooth which is awesome. The text to speach I think is the most important feature. Not only does it tell you when to turn but also the street names, so I never have to look at the unit and keep my eyes on the road. Some units say they have bluetooth but its not for your cell phone so you can talk but instead for updates...be careful with that (tomtom):mad: I have had 3 different gps from the "big 3" ( garmin, tomtom, megellan) and WITHOUT A DOUBT the garmin is the best!