I have a new charitable cause.. please read

amyers12345

Someone mentioned in another post that they visit nursing homes on the Holidays. This really got me to thinking about the elderly that do not have any family to bring gifts or spend the holidays with.

At our office, we sponsor several Christmas families. Each day in our paper (around 250,000 readers), they detail 3 cases of needy families. 2 in the past 3 days have really caught my eye.

Yesterday: A married man and woman are in the same nursing home. He would like some socks and slippers, and a new book. She would like some stationery, stamps, a new ink pen, and some fingernail polish.

Today: A 64 year old man has suffered a serious illness. He used to own a chain restaurant and was forced to liquidate his home and all assets to pay his medical bills. He is now a medicare patient and confined to the nursing hom. His necessities included pajama pants, a robe, and a t-shirt. His wish list was: underwear, Pringles, diet soda, and sugar free candy.

It seems to me that the people that would most appreciative are most often forgotten. If we, as bargain shoppers, were to pick up pads of paper and trinkets and Michael's or Target's 75% off $ Spot clearances, we could outfit an entire home for less than $7.00.

Yes, several people do have families that spoil them rotten, but many don't. Today, we have put in calls to all of the local homes to see if anyone has been left un-adopted. If they have, we are sponsoring them in full. If not, I still plan to make up a box full of trinkets and junk food and drop it off.

I cannot imagine my only wish being paper and stamps to write to the people that haven't even sent me a bottle of fingernail polish.

--Stepping d

o

w

n

off of soapbox now--

Please, consider checking into this in your neighborhood. It would take so little to make so many Christmases bright.

This is a great idea. When we were kids our Church youth group would sing at the local nursing home once a month. Then at Christmas we would take warpped new socks for the men and women. All these years later I can remember how grateful they were we sang and the smiles a simple pair of socks brought to their faces.

I have already donated to our local Ronald McDonald house for the holidays but I think I will call the local nursing home as well. Thank you for bringing back the good memories of visiting the elderly.

I hope everyone will take a little time and do the same.

Our Angel tree at church has both kids and elderly. We always choose a few of both, but the elderly ones break my heart. We've seen socks, blankets, hat and mittens, robes and such. They never include wish lists with them, but we always throw in a small thing or two plus some SF candy.

As part of our service project at DS's preschool, we go to a nursing home and sing Christmas songs and give out baggies of treats and the kids hand make cards.

It never fails that I get tears in my eyes when we go there. The patients are so happy and sing along with the children. We usually sing an additional round or two even after we're supposed to leave because they don't want us to go.

Oh wow the elderly are so often neglected even if they do have a family. I have never thought of doing this. Its great that the local newspaper does that. I wonder if ours would do it? Can you tell me if your paper is online so I can forward it to our local papers?

We have a and edlery Sr tree here, My 39 residents are all apart of this, I have done this for the past three years for them, Most of the wishes are like that there are a few who tempt faith with weird things.

I just got done last Weds fixing them all a Thanksgiving dinner this was in it's 11th year I used to cater it but for the last nine I have made the whole dinner as this is the only Thanksgiving Dinner most will have

We have two nursing homes that we visit the second Saturday of every month. Many are forgotten by their families and never receive a vistor or a gift. I am glad to see others realize the need. Just remember they are lonely all year long, so if you have the time visit them throughout the year.

I had gotten this idea from the other angel thread. I have a friend who is an RN at a local nursing home and I emailed her last week asking if they had a resident tree or anything like that. They just put it up over the weekend and as soon as me and the kids get over our darn colds we're heading over there to pick up a couple names. We've already got a bag of stuff to donate to toys for tots, but for some reason this really hit me as something I needed to do. I'm glad others are doing it as well.

OMG...I just called a local nursing home and talked to the activities councilor...I asked her is there was anyone that didn't have family or friends to do anything for them for Christmas and she said how many do you want??? I told her 2 and she went on with a small list of needs like soap, deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, comb & hairbrush...OMG how have these wonderful people been so forgotten about...that they need life nessesities...

She is going to call me back with sizes and 3 wish items for each.

I see that these people have been just forgotten about and think I will continue to give them the nessesities thoughout the year.

my mom is in a nursing home, and some of the stories she tells me is so sad. even when i can't get over there to see her (if someone in the family is sick no one is allowed to go, we don't want to make any of them sick) she has a friend that goes every week and she'll take the snacks and stuff to her. i think i'll talk to the nurses the next time i go and see what i can do.

I am so glad this has hit you guys the same way it has hit me. I despise nursing homes, but we will be going on Christmas, armed with goodies.

Another idea I had was to send christmas candies and cookies.

I am going to stock up on little things on clearance year round.

Do you guys have any different ideas of things to send?

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2006311300001&template=theme&theme=SHARE_CHRISTMAS

let me know if this link doesn't work~

thanks so much guys!!!

You know what strikes me as odd.. When I was in grade school, every year, we would

go and visit the local nursing home in town, and sing xmas carols to them, and also

Pick a person and give them a small bag of cookies that we baked.

These school DONT do this around here. I'm kinda wondering why. I think we have

2 nursing homes in our town, and 1 is "you have to have money to be there" and the

2nd is more rundown and people there are probably alittle more needy.

This is a wonderful idea. My family adopts an entire family every year (we only got a family of 4 this year), but I think this is something I can get my children involved in. Teach some life lessons too. My grandparents are passed away now (lived in a nursing home), but I should call them and see if I can do something like this. I bet some of my grandparents' friends are still in there.

I was able to adopt a lady today! I am so excited!

The nursing home called today to ask if I would take her. She isn't a patient, she lives at home. Her husband has passed away recently, and she will be spending the holidays alone. She has asked for some tennis shoes, a blanket, and groceries. They also asked if we could deliver to her. Typically donors aren't allowed to take the items to the person, but she is at home and very lonely, and would like the company.

We will also be taking her laundry detergent, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. Can you guys think of anything else that would be good to send?

I am involving everyone I know to make her Christmas special.

Also, I am looking for a great deal on size 10 shoes.

The nursing home called today to ask if I would take her. She isn't a patient, she lives at home. Her husband has passed away recently, and she will be spending the holidays alone. She has asked for some tennis shoes, a blanket, and groceries. They also asked if we could deliver to her. Typically donors aren't allowed to take the items to the person, but she is at home and very lonely, and would like the company.

We will also be taking her laundry detergent, soap, shampoo, toothpaste, etc. Can you guys think of anything else that would be good to send?

Things your kids make would be a great gift. can you find out anything about her?

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing it.

Our town is big into the Toys for Tots/Christmas for Kids things, but when I hear of the parents of those kids working the system to get $400-500 worth of toys for EACH kid, I get disgusted. One family I'm distantly aquainted with maps out all the freebie charities like we do BF. :rolleyes:

I'd much rather do something like this for someone I know is in need.

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing it.

Our town is big into the Toys for Tots/Christmas for Kids things, but when I hear of the parents of those kids working the system to get $400-500 worth of toys for EACH kid, I get disgusted. One family I'm distantly aquainted with maps out all the freebie charities like we do BF. :rolleyes:

I'd much rather do something like this for someone I know is in need.

I understand what you mean. I try not to be petty, especially now, but I can't help but wonder sometimes. The family we ended up with puzzles me. We were supposed to have a man and wife with 5 children. They had a car accident and were unable to work. They switched it at last minute, and we now have a single mom with 5 kids. They are 5, 4,3,2, and 1 month. She asked for clothing and kitchen utensils for herself, and she wears a 7/8. Wow! is all I can say. 5 kids, one of whom is a month old, and she's a 7?

I don't care at all to give to these children, but those look like preventable circumstances. I know there may be more to her story, but it really saddens me that there's a good chance there isn't.

I would like to add this link that was on our local news last night. I highly recommend watching the video to see how some people are scamming our local charities. I cannot believe what lenghths people will go to.

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/11898566.html

i didnt grab the link because its the same dang story only in jonesboro arkansas.... they ran a two night story on folks stealing from donation boxes. makes me sick!:no:

so glad you brought this up ameyers. makes me wonder how my life will be if/when i have to go to one of those places, we havent 'adopted' a person from one of our local nursing homes yet, but im looking into it.

You can check eastbay.com for shoes size 10 in their outlet they have great deals and they are offering free shipping right now too.

Other things to send maybe a new hairbrush, nailfile, clippers.

How about a Teddy Bear? We all need someone to hold and hug!:)

I don't see free shipping on shoes. Is it over? I bought a couple of pairs the other day when it was F/S w/ shoe purchase.

Is this still offer good, or is it only on $75?

Thought I'd help out alittle. :)

I just saw this code on the "online" section...

Now shipping is free with this code IPEB7NSH as long as you have one pair of

shoes in your cart. HTH's

You know what strikes me as odd.. When I was in grade school, every year, we would

go and visit the local nursing home in town, and sing xmas carols to them, and also

Pick a person and give them a small bag of cookies that we baked.

These school DONT do this around here. I'm kinda wondering why. I think we have

2 nursing homes in our town, and 1 is "you have to have money to be there" and the

2nd is more rundown and people there are probably alittle more needy.

My son participated in this program for 3 years, now my daughter is in it. It means so much to those people to have these kids come in and visit them.

It has always bothered me how the elderly are so often forgotten about, not just at Christmas:no: