game boy advance vs sp?!?!

I have a 5 & 7 year old & had to buy 2 - DS rec'd the SP as a gift & DD was pretty drawn to this - almost had to set up a timer for who could play when. So I bought the 2nd. They *love* it!!! All the time, always a hit.

I might suggest even the Nintendo DS. I hear this is the end of production of the SP but that all SP cartridges will work on the DS.

my 6 year old can play most of the games except for the pokemon ones that require a lot of reading. We have the advance systems and the sp systems and the sp is a lot better simply for the backlight that it has. It is so much easier to see with the backlight instead of trying to find a room lit up enough and the right angle to hold the system at to see the screen well.

You dont really find a lot of GameBoy Advance games in stores anymore. I just buy off amazon, half.com, and ebay.... Nintendo seems to have a lot of little kid games. My daughter wanted a DS, but I don't think shes responsible enough. Im starting her out on a SP as I have over 40 games (my son has a PSP, but had a SP for several years. Accumulated tons of games) plus I found a lot of GBA games on ebay...Dogz, Catz, Bratz, etc.

This way when she does get the DS, she can still play those GBA games also on it

Is the advance even made anymore? I didn't think it was.

Anyway, the SP has tons of advantages over the Advance. First, the fact that it can be charged, no having to stick batteries into it every few days. Second, the screen is backlit on the SP, no needing a separate light to see what is being played. Third, and this is the most important for the age group you are buying for, is that it is durable. My 5yo DS got his SP handed down to him from his brother. He's dropped it on several locations, and it's no worse for wear. Advance/SP games(they are the same game cartridge, no differences between the two) are easy to find, and they are still being made.

I'm not ready to get my 5yo a DS system yet, but the SP is perfect for him.

I would first recommend a LEAPSTER for the 5 year old. But if you must have a Gameboy I'd say for sure the SP the light and screen are MUCH MUCH MUCH better. But I'd spend a couple more bucks on the DS especialy for the 7 yr old. My son owned all three versions. We trashed the Advance and recently he handed down his SP to his sister (6) who enjoys her Leapster and chooses to play it 99 out of 100 times!

HTH

If you can, I would go with a DS, then you don't have to worry about upgrading next year. You can get DS and SP games since both play on the system. The nice thing about the DS is that you can buy one game and both kids can play it together (as long as it says WiFi). My dd has Mario Kart and she plays it with her brothers (all three have a DS), they just download the game from her system via WiFi, no extra attachments or anything is necessary for them to be able to do this.

My son is 6 yo, and has had a leapster for 2 years, and is ready to move up in the gaming world. We debated heavily between a ds and a sp.

In the end, we opted for the gameboy advance micro. Mostly because of the price - $50 at our wm, and the fact that there are plenty of available games for him. Yes, yes, I see that I will have to upgrade him (probably next year) to a ds, but the micro was $70 cheaper than the ds AND, all the games we buy him for the micro will play on the ds when we do upgrade. $70 will buy quite a few games.... for us, it was a no brainer.

WM online has games priced $20 in a b&m, 2 for $20.

My son is 6 yo, and has had a leapster for 2 years, and is ready to move up in the gaming world. We debated heavily between a ds and a sp.

In the end, we opted for the gameboy advance micro. Mostly because of the price - $50 at our wm, and the fact that there are plenty of available games for him. Yes, yes, I see that I will have to upgrade him (probably next year) to a ds, but the micro was $70 cheaper than the ds AND, all the games we buy him for the micro will play on the ds when we do upgrade. $70 will buy quite a few games.... for us, it was a no brainer.

WM online has games priced $20 in a b&m, 2 for $20.

We have an SP and a micro and my 5yo will play the micro before the SP, the light is better he says. Just an FYI. My 9 and 6yo are getting DS's this year so now the 5yo won't have to fight with his brothers over playing one. We have a leapster too that now since the 5yo has discovered the gameboys. he won't touch it.

since people are talking leapsters anyone have the vsmile hand held? I'm getting my 7 year old a gameboy SP (I to thought at her age it seemed better than a DS 2 years we upgrade and he sis can have the SP) and was thinking to keep the peace get her sister a vsmaile handheld. We have a vsmile thus a bunch of games that could be played on the handheld to. Thats why I was leaning towards it vs the leapster. Any thoughts on the vsmile vs leapster? I'm not familiar with the leapster. Thanks

the old style GBA is not made anymore. the SP is much better, and has a rechargable battery. You just plug in the adaptor and in about 3 or 4 hours the battery is charged. I still have my old style GBA, but I play my GBA SP a lot more. Its true that there aren't many GBA games in the stores anymore, but you should be able to find them online, like others said. And sometimes places like Target or Walmart have bargain priced games like ones with 3 games in one like Board games (can't think of exact packs right now).

since people are talking leapsters anyone have the vsmile hand held? I'm getting my 7 year old a gameboy SP (I to thought at her age it seemed better than a DS 2 years we upgrade and he sis can have the SP) and was thinking to keep the peace get her sister a vsmaile handheld. We have a vsmile thus a bunch of games that could be played on the handheld to. Thats why I was leaning towards it vs the leapster. Any thoughts on the vsmile vs leapster? I'm not familiar with the leapster. Thanks

read the user reviews at toysrus.com they are not good nor is my experience with the vsmile pocket.. my DD7 got one for christmas and it died the next day she was so up set. i wound up getting her a gameboy sp and this year she is getting the ds..