Looking for laptop

Guest BlackFridayFool

Guest BlackFridayFool
I need some help or advice on where to pick up a laptop for under 400$ shipped. Im on a tight budget thanks to my 3 kids and my oldest daughter has this on the top of her list. Ive looked at the bf ads so far and nothing seems to be working for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Guest BlackFridayFool
This is going to be a gift for my 10 yo daughter. Im expecting just a low end model. She will mainly use it for internet use. My only requirement is that it has built in wifi.

Guest BlackFridayFool
I dont have a BB near me, I wish I did. I should have jumped on that one wally world had last week, had to work though.

Guest BlackFridayFool
Thanks for your help. Are there any good deals to be found on ebay. I am seeing alot of the Dell latitude D600s selling between 275 and 325. Do you think these are worth the price? I wouldnt mind getting one from ebay as long as it is in very good condition. The problem Ive found is most pictures are just stock photos and not pictures of the actual laptop you are buying.

Careul buying high end electronics from Ebay. Many ppl are getting ripped off from sellers from China and you can't return it it China, costs as much as the item. Golf clubs, dolce handbags, electronics are on teh top ripoff lists from Ebay. We bought a $300 golf club from ebay and found out after the purchase that it was a "cloned" ebay site. The seller ID was cloned :eek: so we cancelled it. It came from China anyway and had a hard time getting money back from Paypal, but finally got it fixed and paypal let us send the item to them instead of China....

Hi,

I too am looking for a Laptop for my Dad, and saw this for $449 at Office Depot. Is this good ???? Should I wait until BF or buy this ????

Thanks,:confused:

IMO Compaq is not a good brand. You can get one from Dell for $499 and sometimes even cheaper (though not often). Sony & Toshiba are ok, but we only buy & recommend Dells..

I have one of the Wal-Mart $350 laptops purchased for my elderly mother. I'm hoping to replace it on BF with a slightly better one (dual core) but plan to hang onto this one until then just in case there's bad weather or something. Feel free to PM me and I can let you know how that turns out after 6am on BF. Not sure on logistics but willing to try. Happy Holidays!

Compaq is now owned by HP, Alienware is owned by dell, and e-machines is owned by gateway. Shy away out from dell, HP has a very good record, Alienware has been solid, but it is super-high end, and completely configure your own (with a huge mark up like dell). The $449 from OD is decent, add ram to bring it up to 2gb, and it will take care of the average person for a while. It is not for gaming, video editing, or graphic artistry by any stretch, but most people doing that would not have to ask if it is a good enough buy. If you are asking, then this with 2 gb of ram will take care of you. You may find better deals, but this is a pretty decent one.

Compaq is now owned by HP, Alienware is owned by dell, and e-machines is owned by gateway. Shy away out from dell, HP has a very good record, Alienware has been solid, but it is super-high end, and completely configure your own (with a huge mark up like dell). The $449 from OD is decent, add ram to bring it up to 2gb, and it will take care of the average person for a while. It is not for gaming, video editing, or graphic artistry by any stretch, but most people doing that would not have to ask if it is a good enough buy. If you are asking, then this with 2 gb of ram will take care of you. You may find better deals, but this is a pretty decent one.

HP makes great printers, but not so great computers. My company only recommends Dell because they are very reliable and will take a lot of punishment. We are in the healthcare industry and reliability is very important (obviously).

The Compaq may do fine for your average person (I disagree), but with only a $50 difference in the compaq and a dell, Dell wins out every time, IMO.

:)