Out of state gift exchange....advice?

ohitsunshine

This is the first year I will be away from our entire family. My husband and kids and I moved from NY to FL this year. Normally our Christmas season goes a little like this-

Mid December Huge family Christmas for Dads family- about 250 get together. We exchange cards that day- no gifts.

3rd week in- Husbands family Christmas at his Gmas. His Gma gave everyone gifts. We bought for her and his 2 aunts. I also bought something small for his 2 cousins who are grown and married.

Christmas Eve- At my grandmas- we bought for her.

Christmas Day- My parents, we bought for them and my sisters who are now grown and moved to VA

Christmas Day part 2- His parents, we bought for his younger sister, his parents and his older brothers kids.

Now...my parents are visiting us at Christmas so we can exchange then. The cards I plan on shipping up ahead of time for the big exchange. Now...should I ship all these other presents? What do you suggest going from close knit Christmas exchanges to NY to FL shipping everything?

Well with the Cards. Maybe ship them all to the one address(Dad's) in a card box or such with everyones name on each on the inside of the box.

The Sister in Va maybe send her a gc to local restaurant/spa and/or a gas card if she goes to your parents for christmas.

If all/most of your family is in FL, I would give all the gifts to your partents when they come up to visit.

Save on shipping!!! I'm sure your family would understand.

The Sister in Va maybe send her a gc to local restaurant/spa and/or a gas card if she goes to your parents for christmas.

I agree!!!!

Since you already have some bought, see if you can just ship those to one address.

And have someone distribute them at the parties.

Everyone else, mail cards with gift cards, or ship directly to they're house from store

gift wrapped and with a gift card.

Im in the same boat, neices and nephew in 3 different states. :(

Why dont you shop online and just have to gifts shipped from the website. most offer free shipping this time of year

I'm going to start doing more of this. It's so much more convenient than driving to the post office and standing in line for 1/2 an hour--and since many sites ship ground, it goes right to their doorstep, whereas, with USPS, many times the person will have to drive to the PO to pick up.

All of my families gift are shipped to all over the states. It is VERY expensive!!!! And I usually don't plan on shiiping when purchasing the gifts!!LOL!! Anyway, I love USPS(my sister delivers mail), and I love my fedex and UPS guys(they deliver to my house every day), but I now getting smarter about it!! I love any company that will gift box/wrap my purchase and send it to my family. I also love buying gift cards and having them sent directly. It is hard to adjust, but you will soon figure a solution that works for your gifting ideas and needs!!

All our family is in the UK, I have to ship all those gifts, it's very expencive, even the smaller items such as jewelry cost a lot to ship, also after 10 years it become harded and harder to come up with light weight idea's. Shopping online also difficult as lot of website in the UK will only take UK issued credit card, the exchange rate is also terrible.

• 1 month later...
my brother and his family live in AL we mail the gifts to each other. i usually call find out what the girls want and then i have it shipped online from the store. i call them and email my brother the info so they know when it's coming. they wrap it and the girls get it christmas morn.