MACY'S Black Friday Ad Posted!

Brad

Great info, disneybrat! So are you saying you can go to Macy's like a week before BF, ask to do a presale (how do they know it's for BF? :confused:), then come in like 3 or 4 days later and pick up your stuff that you bought at BF prices without even being there??:eyepoppin:confused::eyepoppin:confused:

That's exactly what I'm saying! Not sure if they'll let it sit there for 3 or 4 days after the sale, as sometimes there isn't a whole lot of room to store these things and they can add up pretty quickly with the handful of people who know about it. . . but we had people pick up days later. Usually we told people to pick them up later that sale day. But honestly, they could come in whenever. If it's going to be awhile, call the store (probably the dept. you did the presale in - could be merch from all over the store, but if we presaled it in one department, then the packages stayed in that department) on the day of the sale and let them know you'll be in another day to pick it up. As long as they know you didn't forget about it, it shouldn't be a problem and they shouldn't refund them or cancel the transaction.

The way it worked, on the register there was a special option we'd do for presales. So when the cashier chooses to do a sale or a return - pretty much the same thing. It's just yet another option. When you go to the presale screen, it asks the cashier to enter the date of the sale. So they'd enter the date for Black Friday. If it's a Morning Special, maybe have them hand write on the slip that stays with the bag in the store just so the manager knows it has to be finalized before 1PM. But the slip will say on it what date the manager is to finalize the sale.

I don't know if some stores will give you a hassle, we didn't. But with BF, you never know what individual person will get their panties in a wad. The way our managers and store manager looked at it, you HAD to come back to the store to pick up your deals. You just might find more when you come in to pick it up. So they didn't mind at all presaling the morning specials.

Thanks for the info on the presale...i've heard about it but never really understood how it worked. Is this where they say "Preview hours" such and such the day before a sale? I'll definately ask now.

Also the thanks for sharing program is great, i agree. I've used it for at least the last 2 years and have gotten nice sized gift cards after the program ends.

Presale and preview hours are two different things. Preview hours, what basically happens is they start the sale early. While I was working there (I ended up coming back when my manager called me up to see if I'd take a part time shift and stayed til April) EVERY single sale went live at 5PM the day before - so that's another hint for those shopping. If a sale starts on Friday, at 5 on Thursday the sale prices are active in the registers (except morning specials), they just aren't signed yet so you have to know what's going to be onsale. If it was slow and I had time, I used to point out the big sales to customers so yo can try asking if the employee looks friendly. One trick is to look for signs with pieces of paper sticking out. That's how we knew which signs to flip out at the end of the night - the ones wth another sign folded with sale info inside and sticking either up or out of the current sign.

This obviously won't work for Black Friday since the stores aren't open on Thursday, but they had fantastic deals all Christmas season last year, so it's something to keep in mind . . . go in the night before and get first dibs on regular sale merch. Oh, and we used to flip the signs in that last hour. So if a morning special sign is put up, then the employee can override the price and give it to you. Good reason to stick around til just before store close.

A presale is basically reserving your merchandise until the sale starts. The cashier will start the process by ringing up all your merch and scanning your credit card. The computer will store the credit card, but not charge it yet. When the sale starts, a manager will complete the transaction. Then you come in and pick up your bags. You can do presales as far ahead of time as you know there will be a sale. So if you ge a sale ad 2 weeks before a sale, you can go in and pick out those items you want from the ad and "reserve" them until the sale starts.

It's a little hard to explain. If I made no sense, just ask me to repeat and I'll try and describe it differently, LOL!

Oh wow-- thank you SO much, disneybrat!!! I wasn't planning to go to Macy's on BF (hate mall traffic and further to drive), but with this info I'll hopefully be able to get in on the good deals! Woohooo!!!!!! (Can ya tell I'm happy?? LOL)

I wonder if any other stores do presales like this-- anyone know??

BTW, disneybrat-- would it be okay if I posted this info on a couponing board I'm a member of (giving credit to you, of course)? I love letting other people know about awesome deals!!

Oh wow-- thank you SO much, disneybrat!!! I wasn't planning to go to Macy's on BF (hate mall traffic and further to drive), but with this info I'll hopefully be able to get in on the good deals! Woohooo!!!!!! (Can ya tell I'm happy?? LOL)

I wonder if any other stores do presales like this-- anyone know??

BTW, disneybrat-- would it be okay if I posted this info on a couponing board I'm a member of (giving credit to you, of course)? I love letting other people know about awesome deals!!

I don't mind at all.

Hopefully people can take advantage of this service. And I hope that other stores are just as laid back as mine was with all of this. You never know when an individual store or manager will decide, nope, not on my watch. I mean, it's company policy to do this, otherwise the option wouldn't be in the computer. And we were pushed to sell people on presales (especially cosmetics when the new bonuses were coming out) because it really pushed the numbers up for the first day of the sale. But you never know when you'll run across the one person that decides they don't want to deal with finalizing the sales on a busy day (even though honestly, my manager could do a dozen presales in less than 5 minutes)

Oh, and you didn't have to presale in each individual department. Can't remember if I mentioned that and I'm too lazy to look back, LOL! Unless you had something that had to stay locked up, obviously. But you could get clothes, housewares, accessories, etc and just presale them all together in one department. Didn't have to presale in each individual department and then try and remember where you had to go back to so you could find all the stuff you paid for.

Great- this is wonderful info!!

One last question though-- you mentioned taking the ad with you. With the exception of whoever's ad was scanned and posted here, we don't have a physical ad to take and probably won't until Thanksgiving day! :( Will they still do the presale if all we have is a black and white printed version of what's scanned here and/or a list of the items from the ad??

Great- this is wonderful info!!

One last question though-- you mentioned taking the ad with you. With the exception of whoever's ad was scanned and posted here, we don't have a physical ad to take and probably won't until Thanksgiving day! :( Will they still do the presale if all we have is a black and white printed version of what's scanned here and/or a list of the items from the ad??

You don't have to have the ad with you. But in general, people don't know what's onsale until they see the ad so they can't really presale til the ad comes out. Well, unless they presale and keep their fingers crossed that something's getting marked down on a certain day, LOL!

You just take the things you want to buy to the register and tell them you want to presale for a certain date, in this case 11/23/07. No ads necessary.

I got a "secret sale" mailer over the weekend, for Macys card holders, Nov 1-4. It has several $$ off when you buy $$ coupons in it, along with some sale prices-- if I did a presale today for this sale, could I also use one of the coupons? Can they figure those in for a presale, or would I only get the sale price? TIA!!!

:) fyi , I don't believe a presale can be done on BF items. Any sale any other time yes, but not that morning. I would Definately ask a Sales Mgr. what their store policy is for that morning.

It's a big YMMV. I know I was tripping over packages back in the bridge jewelry for days before the sale.

I got a "secret sale" mailer over the weekend, for Macys card holders, Nov 1-4. It has several $$ off when you buy $$ coupons in it, along with some sale prices-- if I did a presale today for this sale, could I also use one of the coupons? Can they figure those in for a presale, or would I only get the sale price? TIA!!!

You know what, I'm not sure. I never did a presale with coupons so I'm not sure how that works. You might just have to call the store and ask - probably a manager. I'm not sure if the system stores coupon info or if you could leave the coupon with the package and have them make sure there's a note for the manager that finalizes to make sure the coupon is included?

Worst case scenario, is show up 2 days early. The store can also do holds for up to 48 hours. So you could pick out everything you want and put a hold on it (we stored in back) and then pick it up with your coupons that day.

:fluffy: That is definately what the pre-sales are for. "secret Sale"i.e., anytime you receive advance notice of a sale you can presale (with the exception of BF)They will ring your items the morning of and place them in customer pick-up. This is a big thing with cosmetics before gift. But any sale can be pre-sold and preview day doesn't really mean anything just an extra day.

• 2 weeks later...

Be on the lookout for some good pre-BF deals. I got just a coupon from Macy's today for $25 off $100 and 20% off all day any day. Both expire at the end of the month.

Also, the ad for the sale this weekend (Friday and Sat) has a $10 off $25 coupon.

I have some thoughts about shopping at Macys this year and thought I would pass them along. Macy bought out many stores in the past year or two and overexpanded in many areas. My Macys was a Filenes and people have not taken to the change well. Everytime I am in the store it is practically empty and I have spent very little there. There is a rumor that my Macys will be closing the end of January. I do have another Macys that is about a 45 minute drive but I don't get to that mall often. I would suggest before you buy a Macys gift card or even a gift that may need to be returned you give it some thought if your store closed early next year if the receiver of the gift would have a problem getting to another store. I know from reading other online sites that many people have wondered how long Macys would keep so many stores open because they felt many stores were not doing much business. My daughter just got a new job and I had thought about getting her a few nice outfits but since I have heard the rumor I think I will shop elsewhere.

ughhhhh!!!

that's all i have to say about Macy's this morning. We only had a 7 hour ad, no all day/weekend ad. And of course they didn't carry the comforter set I wanted (south beach) or the sheets i wanted. But who knows if they had them if they would've even been on sale since our area didn't get the other ad. And I hate to order online shipping is crazy!!!

But on the other hand I did score a $400 Coach bag for $150 ----- BUT that was money i was going to use on the bedroom stuff, lol!

Isn't Macy's advertising the worst? I have a credit card but never get anything in the mail advertising any of there sales including Black Fridays. I get tons of mail from everyother store. Then to compound it they very rarely advertise in the paper so if you didn't catch a tv ad you have no idea when there special days are. I don't understand why except maybe if you are a true Macys shopper price or sales doesn't really matter to you.

We walked out of Macy's yesterday with nothing because none of their computers would work on the $10 off coupons or 15% of purchase. They couldn't (or wouldn't) try taking it off manually. And no, it wasn't one of the 2.8 million restrictions they placed on using the coupons. I told the employee when I left "Now I remember why I never shop here!"

I got two of the Hannah Montana hoodies and used the $10 off coupone. Only spend $22 and change for both. Im sure my daughter will LOVE these. Funny too as at Walmart right before I had bought the black and metallic gold guitar purse for her... One of the hoodies is the black w/ metallic gold highlights. Matches perfectly. (maybe only me gets excited over that though haha)