Bombay Closing

Driving along today I saw people standing on the side of the road with signs. Bombay 20 to 40% off Store Closing

So I went over to the closest Bombay Furniture store. Very busy. I thought maybe just that one store was closing.

Checked the internet when I got home and this was on the home page

The Bombay Company, Bombay Outlet and Bombay KIDS websites have discontinued online operations. We would like to thank you, our loyal online customers, for your business over the past years and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Please visit your local store to find exceptional values on furniture and home décor. For current news and information on the Bombay Company, visit our Investor Relations page

apparently they filed bankrupcy and are reorganizing

http://www.bombaycompany.com/

My DS gf is an asst store manager at Bombay..they found out about 6 weeks ago the

store was filing chapter 11, then they found out 2 weeks ago that they were in worse

shape than originally thought. They are closing all US stores but not Canada...

The store where she works is a Bombay Outlet with huge sales numbers but they are

still closing. The liquidators have already come in and they are now in charge.

They are still getting in shipments but will be closed for good in early January 08.

There are no returns, no exceptions so beware.

There are however lots of great deals to be had.

• 1 month later...

Tomorrow, December 12, all stores will slash prices by 40% to 50% off.

It's about time because the prices are higher than their sale prices.

I had bought a vanity last year for $199 and last saturday when I went in the store it was $239 down from the marked down cost of $279

I asked the girl why - she said the prices were set by the liquidators not Bombay.

...or missing a little "leg" on the jewelry boxes. :(

Don't you wonder why they don't just write those type of things off and simply throw the item away? I know I do...

But in the case of jewelry boxes, maybe they could Frankenstein a good box or two out of the damaged ones.

It's about time because the prices are higher than their sale prices.

I had bought a vanity last year for $199 and last saturday when I went in the store it was $239 down from the marked down cost of $279

I asked the girl why - she said the prices were set by the liquidators not Bombay.

That's what CompUSA's liquidator is doing too (apparently).

• 4 weeks later...

Unless they are 90% off, I can't afford anything from there.

My wife and I bought two boxes of 4 place settings of dishes (16 piece sets -- 4 dinner plates, 4 side plates, 4 mugs, 4 bowls) for $19.99 each set.

They were originally $49.99 per set. I think $19.99 is cheaper than the cheapest stuff at Wal-Mart.

The dishes are really nice too, tan with molded-in spirals around the outside edges and some of the tan on the edges has been scuffed away (on purpose) to reveal a darker brown. They had an ivory/tan version of the dishes too.