hair staightener / flat iron

My daughter is eleven and has very wavy, unmanagable hair. She wants it straight and tends to try to make it that way by not rinsing out the conditioner well and running her hands over it all day (yuck!). I want to get her a flat iron, but since this is her first "hair tool" I just want something cheap, but that will be hot enough for really thick hair. Any suggestions?

I have horribly thick curly hair. I have tried every straightener in the world and never had any luck until I got a Chi. However they are really expensive. I think they are around 100$. I didn't buy mine I got it as a gift. It has been wonderful. With every other straightener my hair would still be pouffy. With the Chi it is totally silky and perfectly straight. However aside from the cost the other downside for your daughter, is that the Chi gets VERY hot. Maybe someone else has had luck with another flat iron. This is just the only one that worked for me.

Or get her the Curly Girl book and learn to love those curls! It only took me 40 years or so, but DD has caught on a lot faster!

I did buy a flat iron, Conair at Target, it works pretty well if I want to go straight for a day...or a few hours. Although we live in Southern Calif with very low humidity as a rule it doesn't take much to get my hair curling again :-)

having wavy hair in the back of my head only...don't ask...it runs in the family, my hairdresser has recommended I sleep on a satin pillowcase to prevent "bed head". I can wash my hair on Monday and flat iron it (don't have a CHI, but I wish I did) and sleep on the satin pillow case and only have to do touchups to my hair with the flat iron until I wash again on Wednesday or Thursday. Something you might want to try. As soon as I've grown my hair out to my desired length, I'm going to have a process done to it called japanese straightening. I guess it's pretty expensive and time consuming but can last 6 months or more. A gal at the office that goes to the same hairdresser, had it done and it is amazing! You'd never know she once had extremely curly hair.

I suggest NOT a cheap one! I have heard Chi is good but we have a Paul Mitchell Smoothing Iron. We made $100 for it 4 years ago and it just died on us. I called the person I purchased it from and they are now $140. AHHH! So I got on Ebay and found it for $90. My daughter uses it just about every day and its not too bad for her hair. I would also suggest a Smothing shampoo like Biolage. We also use Chi serum to make the frizzies go away.