Target clearance, How low will it go?

angel-too

...all you Target Clearance pros may already know this, but

I've seen some say they weren't sure whether to wait for a lower price.

Ends in 8...wait. Ends in 4...wont go no more!

Prices Reveal When Merchandise Is Lowest It Will Go

POSTED: 3:58 pm EDT July 9, 2007

UPDATED: 4:31 pm EDT July 9, 2007

Ever wonder if a sale price is the lowest it will go? Should you buy now or wait hoping the price will drop even more?

Now you don't have to wonder anymore.

According to insiders at Money Magazine, Target has a special coding system for its prices that you can use to your advantage.

Target prices that end in an "8" -- like a nylon A/V case for $14.98 or a patio furniture set for $279.98 -- are not at their lowest. These prices will go even lower. So if you see an "8," wait to buy because you could save more money.

Also at Target, if you see a price that ends in "4," be ready to buy because Money Magazine reports that's the lowest you'll see a price at Target.

For example, a bug repellant candle for $5.94, Comet Cleaner for $.84, and hand soap for $2.54, according to reports, is the lowest the price will go at Target. So, stock up.

The same "4" standard holds true for the lowest priced merchandise at a national office supply superstore.

Gap and Radio Shack shoppers will find prices that end in "7" are on clearance.

Copyright 2007 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

...all you Target Clearance pros may already know this, but

I've seen some say they weren't sure weather to wait for a lower price.

Ends in 8...wait. Ends in 4...wont go no more!

Prices Reveal When Merchandise Is Lowest It Will Go

POSTED: 3:58 pm EDT July 9, 2007

UPDATED: 4:31 pm EDT July 9, 2007

Ever wonder if a sale price is the lowest it will go? Should you buy now or wait hoping the price will drop even more?

Now you don't have to wonder anymore.

According to insiders at Money Magazine, Target has a special coding system for its prices that you can use to your advantage.

Target prices that end in an "8" -- like a nylon A/V case for $14.98 or a patio furniture set for $279.98 -- are not at their lowest. These prices will go even lower. So if you see an "8," wait to buy because you could save more money.

Also at Target, if you see a price that ends in "4," be ready to buy because Money Magazine reports that's the lowest you'll see a price at Target.

For example, a bug repellant candle for $5.94, Comet Cleaner for $.84, and hand soap for $2.54, according to reports, is the lowest the price will go at Target. So, stock up.

The same "4" standard holds true for the lowest priced merchandise at a national office supply superstore.

Gap and Radio Shack shoppers will find prices that end in "7" are on clearance.

Copyright 2007 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Most of us know that they'll take an item down to 75% off, but the real problem in deciding is whether or not there'll be any left to mark down to the lowest price.

Most of us know that they'll take an item down to 75% off, but the real problem in deciding is whether or not there'll be any left to mark down to the lowest price.

:yup: Buy now or wait - that is the big dilemma when you want a good deal at Target! Like you said, if you wait too long, the item will be gone.

Yes, but some weren't sure about the 'hideable" items.

THe '8' or '4' would definately help me decide.;)

Yes, but some weren't sure about the 'hideable" items.

THe '8' or '4' would definately help me decide.;)

Oh, that issue is still unresolved, though. I have hidden items with an 8 on the end and still not had them reduced when they should have been. They have just gone salvage without the additional markdown. They SHOULD have been done, but somehow got overlooked. Still, there are probably a lot of people who didn't know this, so it is a good post!

All you have to do is look at the top corner of the red tag. It will have 30 , 50 or 75 that is the percentage off. Never go by the sticker, always scan the item. Some things aren't tagged when they should be. Also many times especially in electronics items will only go to 50% off then go back to the mfg.

It's just a matter of how badly you want the item and what you are willing to pay. We have all waited too long and have gone back to find the items gone.

One of my good friends was in Target management for a long time. She left Target, but has been patiently answering my questions. I asked her about the "8" versus "4". She said yes, for the most part it is true. However, she said a few years ago Target got wise to the customers knowing about 8 versus 4, so they don't always go by it. They sometimes mix things up. Interesting.

She also said Target is wise to "clearance customers," and are aware people stash things waiting for the prices to go down.

This makes me laugh. She also suggested I get a part-time job at Target! LOL

She also said Target is wise to "clearance customers," and are aware people stash things waiting for the prices to go down.

I've long wondered about this. If they know customers do this, why don't they do something about it? Or do they just figure it isn't worth the hassle of messing with a few people who do it? Don't know if you talked about this, but I thought I would ask.

Oh, that issue is still unresolved, though. I have hidden items with an 8 on the end and still not had them reduced when they should have been. They have just gone salvage without the additional markdown. They SHOULD have been done, but somehow got overlooked. Still, there are probably a lot of people who didn't know this, so it is a good post!

If the item was the only one left in teh store, that could explain why it never got marked down. I have noticed that the items have to be scanned into the handhelds in order for the price to be changed. School supplies for instance. When I was shopping, the lady informed me that if I found something she had not gotten to yet, to let her know & she could fix it. Of course, I had to see if it would ring up 50 or 75% off before she scanned it. 50% off. So if there isnt another of an item in the store & employees dont see it, that could explain why it doesnt go down any farther.

If the item was the only one left in teh store, that could explain why it never got marked down. I have noticed that the items have to be scanned into the handhelds in order for the price to be changed. School supplies for instance. When I was shopping, the lady informed me that if I found something she had not gotten to yet, to let her know & she could fix it. Of course, I had to see if it would ring up 50 or 75% off before she scanned it. 50% off. So if there isnt another of an item in the store & employees dont see it, that could explain why it doesnt go down any farther.

Yes, that is right. But, more often than not, they scan their sheet of items after they are done and mark down things that way in case they missed something. I suspect that sometimes they just miss an item or two that way as well. I have seen it go both ways.

I did ask my friend if things go lower than 75% (other than holiday merchandise) and she said sometimes they do. But she also said they donate to goodwill a lot (which has been posted here before).

I will ask her why they don't do anything about people hiding merchandise. They know people do it, maybe they think it is funny? She also said there are the hotwheels collectors that race there first thing in the mornings to go through the cars for the new ones they don't have. So, I guess Target is aware of people's habits.