HP Pavilion 15.4" Laptop w/ Athlon 64 X2 TK-55, 1GB, 160GB, More - $549.99 @ BestBuy.com

Brad

Not that I'm a big fan of Circuit City, but for $150 more (AR) you can get this one:

• AMD Turion™ 64 X2

• Built-in wireless 802.11a/b/g/n

• Burns DVDs and CDs• 160GB hard drive

• 2GB of DDR2 memory

• Built-in webcam

Better processor, double the RAM, and has the next generation "n" wireless card.

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/HP-Pavilion-15-4-Widescreen-Laptop-PC-DV6646US/sem/rpsm/oid/191730/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

But I'm starting to hate rebates (seems like you always have to "fight" to actually get them nowadays), so will probably wait until Best Buy puts a similar one on sale without the rebating hassle.

The 1gb extra of ram in the CC model will run you up to $75 depending if you need someone to put it in, etc, and the faster processor is a nice touch. If they were both without MIR, I would consider them about equal deals with one being just a step above the other as far as you get a bit more, but you pay a bit more.

The 1GB of extra RAM would probably cost more than that. The one that has 1GB is 2 sticks of 512MB. To get up to 2 GB, you'd have to buy 2 sticks of 1 GB of RAM.

The thing I like most about the CC one is that it has the wireless-N card. Wireless-N isn't widely available yet, but it keeps the laptop from needing another upgrade in a little while.

The extra RAM is definitely a consideration but I wouldn't let the n network card be the deciding factor. There have been quite a few issues with the n standard and I think wireless G will be around for quite awhile. If you don't mind rebates, it isn't a bad deal but MIR are quite a hassle these days.