Ipods

I am totally clueless about Ipods and mp3 players. Do not know the difference between them and which ones are good which ones are not. I need some help to know what way to go with this. My daughter wants an Ipod for Xmas and I do not know where to start and what I am looking for in one. People tell me mp3 players offer more accessories then ipods. So I need a little advice on which one you think is better and what I need to look for.

I personally prefer Ipods over regular MP3 players. I own an ipod shuffle, which is the smallest and cheapest version of the ipod. It is also the one that can take the best beating without damaging it. Mine was accidentally stepped on by a 260lb person and survived, I found that to be pretty impressive.

The only downside to the shuffle is that there is no screen, which might make a difference to the person you're buying it for.

We have both in our house.

DH has an ipod shuffle and a MP3 player, he prefers the MP3 player because he can add more space (more music) with the card slots. :)

I have an ipod nano and actually like it, not interested in any more space and I have a low tolerance for too many features and it is simple to work. ;)

I think they both serve different purposes, so it really depends on the user and their preferences.

I do know that some of them are very durable. I mistakenly put DH's ipod shuffle in the washer :eek: and after it dried out (1 day) it was good to go.:blush:

Speaking of iPod Shuffles, when the 2nd generation first came out, there was a writer who put it through stress tests. The only thing that killed it was driving over it with his car:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/shuffle.ars/2

http://media.arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/shuffle.media/IMG_4363.jpg

Even dropping it 40 feet couldn't kill it.

I have a 2nd Gen. Shuffle by the way...

• 2 weeks later...
It would be best to find out what she wants to do with it. If she ever might want to watch videos with it then you need to make sure that you get one with video. I have an ipod Nano and really like it. They have new Nanos out now that have video and come in very cool colors. My kids have the older ipod minis and they really like them a lot and all ipods are really simple to use! The shuffles are very cute but there's no screen to see how much battery you have left or to choose songs. Apple usually runs a free shipping and free engraving special on ipods. The only thing is that with engraving can't be returned usually. Good luck!