Need help finding some books for my daughter..

Gumball

She turns 8 next week and she reads at a grade 5 or 6 level. Tonight she informed me she wants some books on science. Oceanography, biology, botany, and any other similar subjects. She wants to know how everything works and asks me questions all the time. I can't afford a set of encyclopedias right now and don't really have room for them anyway. Does anybody know of some big books with pictures as well as lots of info that I could get for her for Christmas? I'd like to find at least 3 or 4 books minimum but would love to get around 6 of them so I can cover more territory.

4 years ago it was easy, she was only interested in Tweety Bird. :P I bought her a Tweety music box. Now she's so smart I don't know what to get for her. :confused:

Borders bookstores always has several tables and displays of bargain books that you should check out. I remember when I was younger someone gave me a skinny set of science encyclopedia-type books, maybe National Geographic. I don't think those cost too much. Also, if your local library sells books (ours has a Friends of the Library bookstore), you might find something there. Good Luck!

Borders bookstores always has several tables and displays of bargain books that you should check out. I remember when I was younger someone gave me a skinny set of science encyclopedia-type books, maybe National Geographic. I don't think those cost too much. Also, if your local library sells books (ours has a Friends of the Library bookstore), you might find something there. Good Luck!

Barnes and Nobles has the bargain books too, a lot of them are nice reference books for a cheap price..

See if your town has a Used book store, I set my kids up their own account and they love going and looking and trading when they are done. They also have new books that can be bought. You might also ask her teacher when the Book Fair is at her school. Since we live in the country we also have a lot of Golden Book Guides around the house for tree id, weeds, bugs, and stuff. They are small and have lots of pictures, even if she doesnt "get" everything in it she will love being able to walk outside and see whats in her books. They can be found in most book stores or if there is a college campus anywhere close they carry them usually as well. The local zoo might have something as well. You might look into getting her national geographic for kids magazine. I know they have a website for kids. Have fun.... if all else fails see if the library has something.

Have you thought about an educational magazine too. There are lots to choose from. I entered Educational Magazines and came up with lots of options. Most children love to receive mail and she could learn about a variety of subjects. Sometimes libraries have book sales and you can also get books or encyclopedias there a little outdated but not to bad. I bought a set of world books from one and we still use it for reference.

Barnes and Nobles has the bargain books too, a lot of them are nice reference books for a cheap price..

A week ago I took my son there because he got a giftcard for his birthday and they had 30% off the clearance price and he got some really cool books like that on animals and dinosaurs and the earth and space, and they had a lot of information and a lot of pictures. Not for younger kids but not for adults either. I'm not sure if they are still having that sale, but he got quite a few books and I was surprised that he was able to get as many as he did with his giftcard. There was a lot of books on sale throughout the store, it would definitely be worth checking out. They were $4.19-6.99.

Hopefully this doesn't sound too cheap -- have you checked the Goodwill Store? If you daughter reads alot (like my kids do) -- we have a tendency to get an overabundance of books .... like most families do. We have found lots of books (probably only read 1 time .. in perfect condition ) .... normal price 50cents -- but on the weekend they usually have 1/2 off.

If you are looking for hard cover books -- I would suggest Sam's Club -- this is where we get our Guiness Book of World Records hardcover each year for about $16.00.

If you do go to B&N or Borders -- make sure that you check online for coupons b/c they typically have 20 or 30% off.

Last but not least -- do you have a store called Half Price Books in your town?

I found the best book last Christmas. My DS reads it over and over. It is Cool Stuff and How It Works, by Chris Woodford, James Flint, Ben Morgan, Clint Witchalls, and Luke Collins. I got it at Barnes and Noble.com for $24.99 (hardcover). It tells how mp3 players work, microwaves, TVs, planes, hurricanes, etc... It has great pictures of the inside of things.

Also, nobody has mentioned my favorite website that I learned about here: bookcloseouts.com. I love this site. If you know what you are looking for its great. I have found many wonderful books for $1.99 or $2.99 each. Becareful not to be tricked into junk books! I always look up the books at Barnes and Noble.com and/or Amazon.com for reviews. Good luck!