Best Buy Sunday Ad Correction (9/23-9/29)

popweaverhdtv

At 1:49 p.m. ET, I received the following information via e-mail from BestBuy (have an online account with them) concerning the upcoming Sunday Advertisement (9/23):

As a valued Best Buy customer, we want to inform you of an error that will appear in the September 23, 2007 Best BuyTM ad. On the front cover we mistakenly listed the price of the 50" Panasonic Plasma TV (TH_50PZ77U- 8501711) at $1799, before $90 savings. We intended to advertise the 42" Panasonic Plasma TV (TH-42PZ77U-8501757) at $1799, before $90 savings.

Best Buy will not be honoring this price on the aforementioned 50" Panasonic Plasma TV.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and we will offer a $100 Instant Rebate on all Plasma Televisions from Sunday, September 23, 2007 through Saturday, September 29, 2007. This Instant Rebate will be deducted from the price you see in the store, including our regular sale prices.

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to seeing you in our store soon.

I got the same email.

As a valued Best Buy customer, we want to inform you of an error that will appear in the September 23, 2007 Best BuyTM ad. On the front cover we mistakenly listed the price of the 50" Panasonic Plasma TV (TH_50PZ77U- 8501711) at $1799, before $90 savings. We intended to advertise the 42" Panasonic Plasma TV (TH-42PZ77U-8501757) at $1799, before $90 savings.

Best Buy will not be honoring this price on the aforementioned 50" Panasonic Plasma TV.

We apologize for any inconvenience, and we will offer a $100 Instant Rebate on all Plasma Televisions from Sunday, September 23, 2007 through Saturday, September 29, 2007. This Instant Rebate will be deducted from the price you see in the store, including our regular sale prices.

Thank you for your understanding. We look forward to seeing you in our store soon.

© 2007 Best Buy

Just did a quick search online and found it for as little as $2499 without much effort. With the large markup in Plasma tvs they could afford to sell it at that price and not lose any money. Heck sell a few cable and they make money. I guess they would rather upset a bunch of people.

If you really want that tv I guess you could try getting a PM at another store like Sears.

Even though BB isn't going to honor the price that they printed I wonder if you could Price Match the deal somewhere!?

no. when i worked customer service at circuit city, we would have known about the typo and instructed all CS to not PM the ad. also we would not PM if the item was not in stock, in case some small store tried to pull a bait and switch.

you may be able to find a smaller store that may match it - it's always worth a shot. but the big stores probably will not because this typo was pretty well advertised.

Best Buy messes up their ads a lot & does not honor their errors. I wonder how they get away with it? The email was a new twist.

Kristy

As long as they post a correction they are not legally bound to honor any mistakes. This is set up A: so printing companies can't screw over businesses and B: because people just make mistakes.

It happens with every company. Circuit City will usually have at least 3-4 "ad corrections" posted around their store every week. I've seen them at Sears, Target, Walmart, etc.