How do you budget for Christmas money? How much do you spend?

jarerice

It depends on how I do playing poker the night before. Seriously!!! My Dad's family get's together after Turkey and play poker for two hours. (dealer choice) The last four holidays, I've walked away with up to a quarter of what I spent on BF! ($100.00-150.00) We start off only playing for quarters, but by the end of the game, my uncles are breaking out the twenties left and right. LOL!!

Next year I'm going to use my flexible spending acct! THis is the first job where I've truly understood how it works (and have the expenses to justify one). My husbands copays for prescriptions add up to more than $600.00 and with other copays for dr visits, we can easily spend a $1000.00 a yr. My company matches what I put in the acct up to 500.00 so we're going to hold all the receipts this year until say October and then use the reimbursement from the acct to do Christmas shopping!!!:D

I always set a budget but I wish I could stick to it - we come pretty close. We don't have a big family to buy for and I think that's why it's easy to "justify" picking up extra goodies for people-especially the few kids that we do have to buy for since Dh and I don't have any kids. I also don't start shopping untill early Nov. because I never know what anybody wants and I am a huge impulse buyer! I think I set a budget to make myself feel resposible but it never works out! My Dh is just as bad about sticking to it so I don't feel so bad. He had his first BF experience last year and he can't wait for this year - he's been checking this site a few times a day for ads!!

I get paid a per diem for days that I travel. I save the fall per diem for Christmas and the Spring per diem for Summer vacation. It is just 42 dollars a day, but I can usually get four weeks in before BF. Other than that, it depends on whether we have renters who pay their rent. If we do, I don't worry about what I spend, if we don't I worry about it and think of evicting people on Christmas morning. (I wouldn't do it, but the thought is there for people who don't pay rent and lie to me about it.)

I spend about $1,000 because I have 5 kids, 2 grown and 3 at home. I also have 2 grandchildren. I always say I am going to do less but when I add it up it is about $1,000. I try to buy all year long when I see something they like but teenagers want expensive things.

Every year I spend about $1000 on my two kids (and $25 each for my two nephews) - this year I have a little more to spend - getting dh a XBox 360 (that is all he is getting) I always say I'm not going to spend too much on my girls, but always end up doing it anyways. Toys are easily $20 - $30 each, so I have a hard time.

Next year I'm going to use my flexible spending acct! THis is the first job where I've truly understood how it works (and have the expenses to justify one). My husbands copays for prescriptions add up to more than $600.00 and with other copays for dr visits, we can easily spend a $1000.00 a yr. My company matches what I put in the acct up to 500.00 so we're going to hold all the receipts this year until say October and then use the reimbursement from the acct to do Christmas shopping!!!:D

This is what we do.... You are spending the money anyway and since it is pre-tax, it saves you money. I usually wait and get reimbursed for the receipts the first week of November...

This year's money went towards renovations though...... but I do have lots of my Xmas shopping done already....:D

I haven't really been saving. I haven't deoposited my October Bonus check yet. I"m holding onto that to deposit the week before BF. I've been picking little things up all year.

I'm going to try to set a limit per person and stick to it.